Klarus        
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cordless power tools

Default Re: Cordless power tools

Very cool Dave. I'm glad you like the mow. Thanks for sharing a picture. As you've probably guessed, we like to live vicariously.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

this weekend we had to cut up old plum tree, we used 16in electric chainsaw, the wood was so tough we dulled the chain pretty fast, the wood was darkish red color, we had the chain sharpened, but it got dull pretty fast again, what we end up using is diablo demolition blade with carbide tips, and a sawzall, and it still was no easy task,

alpg88, Please see post # 268 and 269.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Looks a nice bit of kit that Dave, thanks for sharing. Are there other tools in that set(use same batteries).

alpg88, the little stump at the end of my garden eat through 2 chains. I have put them to one side, probably end up sending them off and get sharpened at some point. I have 3 chains left, one being used and 2 new ready to go. I figure getting 3 sharpened is a little less than 1 chain............But i was quite surprised how short lived they can be. Thankfully the hedge was no issue and the several hours of on/off cutting was all done on the 1 chain.

Flashaholic*

Is there a system that includes a pressure pump suitable for tires?

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Looks a nice bit of kit that Dave, thanks for sharing. Are there other tools in that set(use same batteries).
    Yes. That is why I decided on it. I have a lot of yard so I wanted something more than a system that used power tool batteries. The mower is for trim work, under trees, between raised beds, etc.

They are 56 volt and have 2.5, 5 and 7.5 AH batteries.

The next things I plan on are a string trimmer. It uses a power head you can switch tools on it. I will also get the cultivator and edger attachment for it and also a leaf blower. Iíll get more as the budget allows.

They have hedge trimmers, chain saws, pole saws, backpack for the batteries to keep the weight off the tool, power inverters, snow blower, etc.

Just checked out UK side, some nice tools.

I went to the store today planning to get an Ego edger and trimmer. The ones I wanted were not in stock so I got a Ego leaf blower. I went with the 180 MPH 650 CFM one. It clears off the driveway fast.

[IMG]20200613_174911 by Dave1136, on Flickr[/IMG]

A beast!!!

I took-on replacing the trim in six bathrooms and two kitchens ....... so I rented this bad boy.

If I was a smart man, I woulda realized it was going to take me three days and the smart money would have been spent on purchasing one. Live and learn.

Haha, that pic made me lol, so cute with that ickle battery..........Hindsight is a wonderful thing CG. Still, as long as you got the job finished and no plans to need/require soon, all is not totally lost.

i was thinking of replacing my air powered nailers with cordless, cuz my compressor is too damn loud, but decided against it for economical reasons, i have 4 guns, 18ga, 16ga, 1/4 staples, and t50 staples, it would cost me over 1k to replace, not to mention back then i'd have to have several different brands\battery platforms, cuz dewalt did not make all of those, not sure if it still does, i bought a kobalt super quiet compressor, it runs quieter than our sewing machine.
    Last edited by alpg88; 06-17-2020 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    i was thinking of replacing my air powered nailers with cordless, cuz my compressor is too damn loud, but decided against it for economical reasons, i have 4 guns, 18ga, 16ga, 1/4 staples, and t50 staples, it would cost me over 1k to replace, not to mention back then i'd have to have several different brands\battery platforms, cuz dewalt did not make all of those, not sure if it still does, i bought a kobalt super quiet compressor, it runs quieter than our sewing machine.
    Yeah once you have a compressor and air tools you are less likely to pay 2-4 times as much to have battery cordless tools to do the same thing if you know you won't need them outside of your shop area.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Yep! That nailer alone (sans battery n charger) is $350. OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Yep! That nailer alone (sans battery n charger) is $350. OUCH!
    Don't they make a portable (non battery) nailer using explosive nails or a gas cartridge? I bet even they are cheaper.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I think you are thinking about a Paslode nail gun.
    Amazon has the small finish nailer for $200
    The framing ones are $300-$400.

https://www.amazon.com/Paslode-Strai...%2C146&sr=1-12
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Donned a mask and ventured to the Big Orange Box yesterday afternoon ..........

These new pruning tools should take a lot of the work out of maintaining Casa de Gardiner. It was getting close to when guests were to arrive so I didn't have time to test um out. However, first impressions, the hedge pruner is light and quiet. Both qualities that will be very much enjoyed. Also, it didn't take six attempts to get it started. At my age, having to pull the rope six times is about 20 minutes worth of operating energy. I hate sweating before the actual job has begun.

The pole saw's reach will allow me to keep a safer distance from some dead branches and remove the need to prune from the top a ladder.

+

Like your new stuff Chance,
    the pole saw looks great & has a very meaningful sticker BRUSHLESS

havefuness!

alpg88, the little stump at the end of my garden eat through 2 chains. I have put them to one side, probably end up sending them off and get sharpened at some point. I have 3 chains left, one being used and 2 new ready to go. I figure getting 3 sharpened is a little less than 1 chain............But i was quite surprised how short lived they can be. Thankfully the hedge was no issue and the several hours of on/off cutting was all done on the 1 chain.
    Guys, sharpening a chain is easy. Spend $20 - $30 on a nice file and guide and you'll get the hang of it in a few minutes.

I used to cut wood for a living and would sharpen the chain on the saw, sitting on the bed of the pickup. Saves lots of time and money.

Flashaholic*

Ditto. Literally nothing to it
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Or purchase one of these and get er done in a few minutes.

Wow very nice tool eye candy to start the day off! Love the pole saw, so close myself to one of those. However managed with the chain saw so far. It will sure make looking after your amazing garden much easier.

Used the strimmer for the second time yesterday afternoon, itís a like. Low speed is enough, so stuck with that. Used a 5a battery and when finished it was on 2 lights(out of 3). It is on the heavy side and a bit longer than what I am use to with my old petrol strimmer. But the ease, not breathing in 2 stroke fumes, much quieter and no oil on me ......all adds up to a far more pleasurable experience. If/when the 4 stroke mower packs in, I may just consider a dewalt mower .

Look forward to some in use dirty pics CG if you can, some of the dewalt to and of course impressions .

I love my cordless dremel. Its great for woodworking, cutting off allthread, slotting stripped screws, restoring and polishing old tools and knives, I even used it recently to help remove anodizing on flashlight body threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrgold View Post
    I love my cordless dremel. Its great for woodworking, cutting off allthread, slotting stripped screws, restoring and polishing old tools and knives, I even used it recently to help remove anodizing on flashlight body threads.

I have a cordless dremel but it is nicad and nicads are junk these days every time I want to use it a lot even if it is fully charged it only lasts about 15 minutes then dies. The design makes it hard to convert to lithium ion also.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I have a cordless dremel but it is nicad and nicads are junk these days every time I want to use it a lot even if it is fully charged it only lasts about 15 minutes then dies. The design makes it hard to convert to lithium ion also.
    pretty sure mine is li-ion. Itís the 8220

Quote Originally Posted by jrgold View Post
    pretty sure mine is li-ion. Itís the 8220

Yeah it is listed at 12v and lithium ion. I've pretty much abandoned anything nicad for lithium ion these days as I've tired of the maintenance of them and short life of the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by JimIslander View Post
    Guys, sharpening a chain is easy. Spend $20 - $30 on a nice file and guide and you'll get the hang of it in a few minutes.

I used to cut wood for a living and would sharpen the chain on the saw, sitting on the bed of the pickup. Saves lots of time and money.

Will look more into it, i have 3 chains i think that need sharpening , saved up in a bag. Cheers

Will look more into it, i have 3 chains i think that need sharpening , saved up in a bag. Cheers
    Here ya go, bud.

Cheers CG

I finally had an opportunity to put the DeWALT hedge trimmer to work.

The hedge wasn't too overgrown. It just needed a little off the top and sides. I can now recommend this trimmer without reservation. It's light, very quiet compared to two stroke tools and, of course, no gas and oil exhaust to breath. Be advised, if you have a big job you'll need more than two batteries on hand. It requires a lot of energy to power the twin blades, both of which move.

After pruning all the hedge visible in the second picture, the blades started making an alarming metal against metal scraping sound. I finished the job with a gas tool. Upon returning home I decided reading the owners manual was in order. There was nothing stating the blades needed to be lubricated before its first use. I applied some chain & cable lube and the noise disappeared. I assumed the factory lube would have lasted much longer than this job took. I was wrong. Also, the bean counters at DeDALT decided a blade cover would not be included. Sub par move as far as I'm concerned.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast