Acebeam        
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cordless power tools

Default Re: Cordless power tools

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Like the scarecrow with a rake CG , bet that scares all the birds off!

I'll be out there until the grass seed germinates. "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 05-19-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    i use my 20v dewalt blower for different purposes, i take it camping, i use it as a pump, for mattresses, and other inflatable things, and i use it to start a fire in a grill. or in a fire pit.
    I never thought of using a 20v blower for that, thanks for the idea. The only problem is making an adapter to fit things maybe standard hose size stuff is the same will have to check.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I still can't believe you guys used a blower on the coils of your refrigerator. Where ya'll think the dust bunnies would go? Were they supposed to run outside?
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I still can't believe you guys used a blower on the coils of your refrigerator. Where ya'll think the dust bunnies would go? Were they supposed to run outside?
    LOL... that really was a OH SHI# moment!

I also use my leaf blower to blow out my clothes dryer vent. At my previous house there were three right angle turns and a total run of about 28 feet.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I also use my leaf blower to blow out my clothes dryer vent. At my previous house there were three right angle turns and a total run of about 28 feet.
    I can see your better half in slow motion, yelling - "NOOOOOO!" as she and everything else in the room became engulfed in dust.

I hadn't realized that the Moody Blues song, Late Lament, was about some guy and his blower.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
    Watch lights fade from every room.
    Bedsitter people look back and lament,
    Another day's useless energy spent.
    Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
    Lonely man cries for love and has none.
    New mother picks up and suckles her son,
    Senior citizens wish they were young.
    Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
    Removes the colours from our sight.
    Red is grey and yellow white.
    But we decide which is right.
    And which is an illusion?

What are you doing drying leaves with your clothes? :P
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I never thought of using a 20v blower for that, thanks for the idea. The only problem is making an adapter to fit things maybe standard hose size stuff is the same will have to check.
    you don't have to make anything, dewalt comes with inflating adapters, but i did have to 3d print one for mattresses cuz the one that came was a bit too big.

also if you use it to blow the fire, put both extensions, and keep it as far as possible from the fire, cuz wind picks up the ash and the pump sucks it in, i'm planing to 3d print an adapter for a automotive cone air filter. and put it on the intake.
    Last edited by alpg88; 05-20-2020 at 08:28 AM.

you don't have to make anything, dewalt comes with inflating adapters, but i did have to 3d print one for mattresses cuz the one that came was a bit too big.

also if you use it to blow the fire, put both extensions, and keep it as far as possible from the fire, cuz wind picks up the ash and the pump sucks it in, i'm planing to 3d print an adapter for a automotive cone air filter. and put it on the intake.
    I don't have a dewalt though, mind is B&D I would need to double check things to see if parts of the air tube can be disconnected and what diameter is there I'm not sure that I can easily remove the nozzle that changes from round to flat slot output.
    I do have a 6v inflator that needs a new battery if I new how much current that it requires I could buy a buck circuit to reduce 20v to 6V at needed amps and use it for an inflator perhaps. Not a huge concern as I do have an air mattress now I haven't used it at all and don't need it right now either.

I can see your better half in slow motion, yelling - "NOOOOOO!" as she and everything else in the room became engulfed in dust.

<SNIP>
    Fortunately she was out of the house and I was able to clean the mess up before she got back.

Her father was with me, and this is ONE time that he didn't rat me out.

i use my 20v dewalt blower for different purposes, i take it camping, i use it as a pump, for mattresses, and other inflatable things, and i use it to start a fire in a grill. or in a fire pit.
    We had a Queen sized, double high inflatable bed/mattress, for camping and the rare extra guests.
    I have used my 110V leaf blower to fill that baby up. Fortunately that baby has gone to the deflated mattress burial ground.

Now, when we travel with stuff that needs to get blown up, we use this slower, but much more compact unit. It does do well with fires too.

If you look at the base it has an adapter for swimming pool tubes etc.

I don't have a dewalt though, mind is B&D I would need to double check things to see if parts of the air tube can be disconnected and what diameter is there I'm not sure that I can easily remove the nozzle that changes from round to flat slot output.
    I do have a 6v inflator that needs a new battery if I new how much current that it requires I could buy a buck circuit to reduce 20v to 6V at needed amps and use it for an inflator perhaps. Not a huge concern as I do have an air mattress now I haven't used it at all and don't need it right now either.
    i have a 6v rechargeable inflator too, coleman,, it originally came with 4ah 6v lead acid battery, but it did not have enough capacity to inflate\deflate 2 tall mattresses, i replaced lead acid battery with 5 subc nimh tenergy cells 4ah iirc, on paper it should not make any difference as far as runtime, but in reality it has much more, enough for both mattresses, and still going strong. (my guess oem lead acid battery was real crappy) i never really measured the current, nimh seem to provide plenty, i did have to get a different charger thou,
    it did a good job with blowing fires too, but blower is so much stronger, that is why i bought it, inflating is just extra benefit. the coleman inflator is also how i learned about ash, i had to take it apart and clean out ash from impeller, it got clogged it so bad it barely inflated mattresses.
    if your b&d is this one, the tube should come off, seems like you need to push those orange circles in and pull the tube, if the part of the blower that the tube slips onto, is round an adapter can be 3d printed, if you measure it accurately, i can make a file and print it. but only if it is round, oval things are hell to match, with my limited design skills
    Last edited by alpg88; 05-20-2020 at 08:27 PM.

i have a 6v rechargeable inflator too, coleman,, it originally came with 4ah 6v lead acid battery, but it did not have enough capacity to inflate\deflate 2 tall mattresses, i replaced lead acid battery with 5 subc nimh tenergy cells 4ah iirc, on paper it should not make any difference as far as runtime, but in reality it has much more, enough for both mattresses, and still going strong. (my guess oem lead acid battery was real crappy) i never really measured the current, nimh seem to provide plenty, i did have to get a different charger thou,
    it did a good job with blowing fires too, but blower is so much stronger, that is why i bought it, inflating is just extra benefit. the coleman inflator is also how i learned about ash, i had to take it apart and clean out ash from impeller, it got clogged it so bad it barely inflated mattresses.
    if your b&d is this one, the tube should come off, seems like you need to push those orange circles in and pull the tube, if the part of the blower that the tube slips onto, is round an adapter can be 3d printed, if you measure it accurately, i can make a file and print it. but only if it is round, oval things are hell to match, with my limited design skills
    My 6v inflator is a coleman with the 6V battery also and that leaf blower looks like mine I will have to look at it again tomorrow If it is a more common size I may be able to find a Cantex adapter to fit it to a smaller hose. I do have a sort of bicycle pump for the mattress also and adapters in my 12v car compressor too. I do have a portable 120v air compressor that may do in a pinch also.

i have a 6v rechargeable inflator too, coleman,, it originally came with 4ah 6v lead acid battery, but it did not have enough capacity to inflate\deflate 2 tall mattresses, i replaced lead acid battery with 5 subc nimh tenergy cells 4ah iirc, on paper it should not make any difference as far as runtime, but in reality it has much more, enough for both mattresses, and still going strong. (my guess oem lead acid battery was real crappy) <SNIP>
    About 20 years ago I had a B&D 6V lead acid battery string trimmer. It was OK, the first year I had it, but by the 3rd year, it wouldn't hold a charge.

About 8 years ago, I think it was Coleman, but it might have been Thermos, had a 6V SLA lantern. They also had a swap-able snap in 6V SLA for it. There were many complaints from customers, because the battery wouldn't take a charge, or had little capacity. IIRC, SLA batteries need to be kept at full charge, or they degrade. Many, but not all sat on the shelves long enough that they were near dead at the time of purchase, and the batteries were shot.

I just googled it and found it.
    Coleman CPX-6 rechargeable battery

About 20 years ago I had a B&D 6V lead acid battery string trimmer. It was OK, the first year I had it, but by the 3rd year, it wouldn't hold a charge.

About 8 years ago, I think it was Coleman, but it might have been Thermos, had a 6V SLA lantern. They also had a swap-able snap in 6V SLA for it. There were many complaints from customers, because the battery wouldn't take a charge, or had little capacity. IIRC, SLA batteries need to be kept at full charge, or they degrade. Many, but not all sat on the shelves long enough that they were near dead at the time of purchase, and the batteries were shot.

I just googled it and found it.
    Coleman CPX-6 rechargeable battery
    Yeah I remember that lantern and was interested in it till I found the rechargeable battery pack was an expensive lead acid one as I had had it with that tech having way too many things with the batteries in them no longer working and replacing the batteries in them was more than buying a decent lithium ion device that does the same thing. It is very sad that battery makers have not embraced lithium ion tech the way the cordless tool companies have. Coleman had a decent idea with the CPX-6 but blew it when they chose lead acid tech in it if they had put a lithium ion battery option I believe that lantern would have sold like mad once people started using it and recharging it and 6 month later it still worked great instead the lead acid batteries in it 6 month later without being charged a time or two would have been depleted enough to give lousy performance compared to the primary battery option. My problem is since I didn't use the devices that I had SLAs for the batteries all ended up slowly going bad and when I did need them they were dead. A backup lantern that isn't being constantly on a trickle charge is junk if it depends on lead acid. I recall nicad based lights I thought were neat and you did save money on batteries but in a few years them trickle charging cripple the capacity of the batteries down to 15% or so and since the batteries had about 1/3 the capacity of alkaleaks dropping it any amount meant lousy performance and your neat rechargeable light was another annoying toy.
    I also had similar issues with non LSD nimh that pushed me back to using alkaleaks for backup lights too and pretty much my regular nimh batteries sit unused because LSD batteries first and now lithium ion tech have replaced them.
    I just wish we had third party lighting solutions for cordless tool lines we could see a larger variety and a lot cheaper prices too.

Well had a good bit of use out of the chain saw, took hedge 1/2 way down. Took about 3hrs, all done on the one flexvolt 9ah battery. 3 nests, all empty and not used. Monitored for a few days.

Now got the dewalt strimmer on way, should be with me tuesday, after my 2 stroke completely packed in. I was tempted for another petrol, but it grows old mixing(unless go 4 stroke i guess) fuel and running petrol station for top ups. Bad enough for lawn mower!. I weighed up the 18v and 54v, decided on 18v. Several factors, of course cost, the 18v is around £100 cheaper for body only. My use, i tend to use for 10 mins every 2 weeks.........54v is overkill, although i will admit i love overkill lol. So another addition, will report back after use and if its any good or not.

I took the electric chainsaw over to my neighbor's yesterday. He wanted the dead Rhody branches removed. Had a closer look and decided to go home and grab the cordless sawzall. It's a much better tool for pruning. I was able to saw with one hand and hold the branch to keep it from falling with the other. The fence is six foot high, for reference.

I took the electric chainsaw over to my neighbor's yesterday. He wanted the dead Rhody branches removed. Had a closer look and decided to go home and grab the cordless sawzall. It's a much better tool for pruning. I was able to saw with one hand and hold the branch to keep it from falling with the other. The fence is six foot high, for reference.

Cool, but i have a feeling there is a big fat missing from that post

Cool, but i have a feeling there is a big fat missing from that post
    Yes indeed! Where's yer pictures?

I can't say what the best tool for your recent job was. No poke.

Yes indeed! Where's yer pictures?

I can't say what the best tool for your recent job was. No poke.
    My last job (hedge) had to be chainsaw, as some branches were up to 2" i cut though. Yes with easy access the recirp is good to go, but thick bushes(3ft thick) requires a longer cutting area to get in. I will show some of the aftermath.

Pics for you, ready for tip once its been relaxed more
    Hedge(yes the grass needs sorting lol)

Part mound at side

More at end of garden

There is more next door, about same again.
    Pic to show how thick in areas to cut

Well had a good bit of use out of the chain saw, took hedge 1/2 way down. Took about 3hrs, all done on the one flexvolt 9ah battery. 3 nests, all empty and not used. Monitored for a few days.

Now got the dewalt strimmer on way, should be with me tuesday, after my 2 stroke completely packed in. I was tempted for another petrol, but it grows old mixing(unless go 4 stroke i guess) fuel and running petrol station for top ups. Bad enough for lawn mower!. I weighed up the 18v and 54v, decided on 18v. Several factors, of course cost, the 18v is around £100 cheaper for body only. My use, i tend to use for 10 mins every 2 weeks.........54v is overkill, although i will admit i love overkill lol. So another addition, will report back after use and if its any good or not.
    I went to corded after my gas powered weedeater died after 3 years and the one before it died after 7 years and then I came across a Black & Decker 20v weedeater and an upgraded (2 speed) model which IMO is good enough for 95% of what you need one for. 54V would be good if you have a very large area with very thick weeds otherwise a 4+A 18/20V battery model is fine IMO.

I went to corded after my gas powered weedeater died after 3 years and the one before it died after 7 years and then I came across a Black & Decker 20v weedeater and an upgraded (2 speed) model which IMO is good enough for 95% of what you need one for. 54V would be good if you have a very large area with very thick weeds otherwise a 4+A 18/20V battery model is fine IMO.

I had pretty good luck with my 2 stroke tools. I cant quite remember the brand, but they were basic run of the mill types. The hedge cutter died after around 8yrs of use. The strimmer just recent but after a year of fixing and not so smooth running. This lasted a good 15yrs(all bought at same time). Heck in that time i must have gone through 3 or more lawn mowers, that latter is 4 stroke and still going well after 3-4yrs. I did weigh up a few options, finally decided on the dewalt for ease and having the batteries/chargers . It will be quieter, more user friendly and it also gets more use out of my batteries at home. I am hoping the 18v is more than enough for my uses, time will tell but i am pretty confident. Also i will add it to my dewalt tools for 3yr warranty. Little peace of mind down the line, although it will never really be used in anger(lots of heavy use).

I had used corded years back, the biggest draw back for me is the inconvenience and wrapping up the cable. Hedge cutters wise.........i may have cut through the cable more than once . I thought i was aware and being cautious at the times!. I still have an extendable corded hedge cutter, pretty useful to. However with the extension, i do get an intermittent contact issue (stop/start) at times. The petrol hedge cutter i had a while back was quite heavy for wielding for over an hour or so.

If i had of gone 54v, it would have been mainly for the 54v and using the flexvolt. Thankfully my little common sense brain cell kicked in and over powered my many big kid want want want cells!

I took the electric chainsaw over to my neighbor's yesterday. He wanted the dead Rhody branches removed. Had a closer look and decided to go home and grab the cordless sawzall. It's a much better tool for pruning. I was able to saw with one hand and hold the branch to keep it from falling with the other.
    I've been doing a lot of pruning and small tree removal using my 20v Porter Cable sawzall and it sure is great not having to drag around a cord, which actually I would never do.

A few of the small trees have been up to 4", mostly maple, but also a couple of 15' locusts. My favorite part is filling in the hole when the tree has been completely removed, leaving no trace it was ever even there.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I had pretty good luck with my 2 stroke tools. I cant quite remember the brand, but they were basic run of the mill types. The hedge cutter died after around 8yrs of use. The strimmer just recent but after a year of fixing and not so smooth running. This lasted a good 15yrs(all bought at same time). Heck in that time i must have gone through 3 or more lawn mowers, that latter is 4 stroke and still going well after 3-4yrs. I did weigh up a few options, finally decided on the dewalt for ease and having the batteries/chargers . It will be quieter, more user friendly and it also gets more use out of my batteries at home. I am hoping the 18v is more than enough for my uses, time will tell but i am pretty confident. Also i will add it to my dewalt tools for 3yr warranty. Little peace of mind down the line, although it will never really be used in anger(lots of heavy use).

I had used corded years back, the biggest draw back for me is the inconvenience and wrapping up the cable. Hedge cutters wise.........i may have cut through the cable more than once . I thought i was aware and being cautious at the times!. I still have an extendable corded hedge cutter, pretty useful to. However with the extension, i do get an intermittent contact issue (stop/start) at times. The petrol hedge cutter i had a while back was quite heavy for wielding for over an hour or so.

If i had of gone 54v, it would have been mainly for the 54v and using the flexvolt. Thankfully my little common sense brain cell kicked in and over powered my many big kid want want want cells!
    I too have a 49 foot cord from using it with a corded hedge trimmer, which is a major reason for using cordless hedge trimmers. I calculated that going to all cordless tools I saved about 15 minutes that I spent with managing cords and I did my yardwork once a week to about 20 times makes for about 300 minutes or 5 hours of my life back....lol.
    I think as long as you use a dual layer battery (3Ah or greater) and your lawn isn't huge or overgrown you will probably be fine. The triple layer 54V battery is a lot heavier and probably not needed for a weedeater and the hedge trimmer unless you have a lot of hedges to do that need more than a maintenance trim shouldn't take a big amount of power either and having a smaller battery makes it a lot easier to wield less tiring. I wish I had got the B&D 20V chainsaw but at the time I was looking at them in a shop used I was short about $20 in my budget to get one. They had one years before other tool battery makers had them. It is sad that B&D yard tools were IMO the first complete tool line to offer such solutions and ended up crippling their tool line with cheaper and cheaper stuff and low capacity batteries while they other tool makers went to 5,6, and 9 and 12Ah batteries B&D only had 1.3 and 2Ah batteries available I'm using a PC 4A battery if it were not for the cross compatibility of the tool batteries (with a hack) my yard tools would be more frustrating needing 2-3 small 1 layer batteries to do my yard vs 1 to maybe a second battery for a few minutes a few times a year saves me a lot of time and frustration.
    I'm still on the fence about battery mowers, I think that they are maturing well but possibly models in the next few years will perform even better. I recall one Craftsman electric mower that had slots for 2 40V batteries could use either of them (not both at once) I didn't have a lot of time on it as I was mowing my bosses yard with it and he didn't like the battery setup and took it back and bought a cheesy 24v SLA based mower which was smaller, less powerful and lighter such that it often seems to bounce around on the lawn and when it hit something the blade almost stopped dead on it at times it seemed.

I think B&D did some clever marketing with dewalt, which then grew to quite a lot of choice in tools and battery capacities. You can still get 1.5a and 2a packs here in the UK. The B&D branded stuff maybe aimed more towards the DIY/hobby dudes.......dont know on that. Maybe as dewalt took off and became more popular, they decided to keep focusing more on that flavour.

New toy arrived today

Very close to a 2 stroke, but dewalt pipped it! Mainly for convenience and having the batteries crying out to be used more!

Yes i used a dewalt tool, with milwaukee bits to put it together

Seems nicely made, does give confidence . Quite long too!!!! No shoulder strap or handle bars, so i can imagine with a larger battery on, maybe not ideal for an hours strimming. Will see how i get on, easy enough to attach a strap of sorts if needed. So initial impressions good, just registered it on my dewalt app for 3yr warranty. Once it gets some use, will report back, i am impressed with the beefy spool and design. Very trick and well designed/built. Much better than my 2 stroke one anyway(must be twice the size and a double cord). Clever way of winding, or simply tap to release more cord during use. Will admit i had to do a youtube to remove spool , 1st time i actually wound the cord back into the spool . No mention in instructions, so quick watch and using allen key(hex wrench), lock the metal ring and undo spool to remove, then fit guard with 4 self tappers. Which is a 2.5T and not supplied(in fairness you could use a large flat screw driver.......but still, just use same 4mm hex key size used on the grab bar).

So no rain, why not! Had a good 20min+ of use out front and around pond. Seems low mode is enough although I did try the high for a bit. One bonus is not getting oil and fuel leaking on my clothes! Not to mention the exhaust fumes near my face. Pretty happy, if to find fault would be the large spool. Itís a little too large and using off grass(drive way weeds) itís very easy to catch/scuff being more pronounced than I am use to. On grass itís less of an issue, if anything it stops you going too deep on the grass. Weight wise , although not too heavy, it can start to become a little heavy after 20mins or so. I started to feel a little fatigue in my left arm, but that is the arm I tore my bicep the other year. Thatís with a 5a battery, so bigger jobs a shoulder strap might be a good idea.

Quieter, smoother, much less vibration and no pollution. I was on the 2nd light of 3. So no idea how much strumming time left, I would think a 5a battery should be good for 40-60 mins though.

I bought an Ego lawn mower today. I brought it home charged the battery and mowed. Including an area in back with real tall grass that didnít get mowed after my gas mower died the other day. Iím sold on it and already looking at other Ego toys.

Hi DD, Pictures or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DavisonDave View Post
    I bought an Ego lawn mower today. I brought it home charged the battery and mowed. Including an area in back with real tall grass that didnít get mowed after my gas mower died the other day. Iím sold on it and already looking at other Ego toys.

Yep Dave you know the rules, pics or itís not true

Hi DD, Pictures or it didn't happen.
    Yep Dave you know the rules, pics or itís not true

[IMG]20200609_162630 by Dave1136, on Flickr[/IMG]

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast