Battery spacer for taking up "slack" -- options?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one point in time, I remembered picking up some plastic/vinyl white discs that had a small metal center. Can't recall if it was magnets or some conductive metal. But it looked something like this:

Plastic-disc-magnet-center.jpg

I can't recall the diameter, but they were smaller than a quarter. It got me wondering if there's something like this that could work for an 18650 battery tube. This is for a flashlight with a LumensFactory D26 drop-in that has no problem using protected or unprotected cells, but with unprotected there's some slack that I want to eliminate. A slug or magnet by itself would be asking for trouble, but something like the spacer depicted should definitely do the job. Does anyone here know the "proper name" for this or a source? Otherwise, I presume I could just make one, buying some plastic washers and press fitting a magnet in the opening.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try CPF Martin D White, he can machine you a thin white or black delrin spacer with Al or Cu round stock electrical contact.. Knowing before hand what diameter and thinkness your application requires will help

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Battery spacer for taking up "slack" -- options?

Yes, these are typically called spacers (or battery spacers) .... If they are large enough to replace an entire cell, sometimes they are called dummy cells instead.

There have been a few custom makers of these on CPF over the years, but yes, currently @MartinDWhite is turning these when his schedule allows.

Reference link ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=400386

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Battery spacer for taking up "slack" -- options?

Thanks, guys -- I'd seen his unusual battery spacers that have contacts to charge batteries that don't fit in the charger. Didn't know he can make small spacers too. Will have to check up with him. Hopefully he's USA based so shipping wouldn't be expensive for me (in CONUS).

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Battery spacer for taking up slack -- options?

The precise options I was looking for wasn't available.

This is what I'm looking for:

Battery-spacer.jpg

I can't remember where I got it. I think it may have been Light Hound. Of course, they're out of business... But I imagine there must be a commercial source somewhere.
I've got just one of these, but would like a few more.