Batteries not handling turbo for more than a few seconds.. So whats this indicate?

4Pro

Newly Enlightened
https://secondlifestorage.com/t-LG-LGDB318650-Cell-Specifications

So I have some LG lgdb318650's I harvested. All of them charged up wonderfully, read 4.15-4.16v after resting, all read 0.0 ohms when tested but when I tried them with my Astrolux MF01 on turbo the light shut off after a few seconds and the indicator on the button went red immediately after going to turbo. On high, the light just keeps ticking till shes red hot.

So... Is this an indication the batteries being 2600mah can't handle the load? Maybe they're just worn somehow?

FWIW: My 3600mah Orbtronics just keep trucking.. the light gets very hot at around 1 minute so I backed her down but I wanted to test to see if on Turbo those would run longer and they in fact did. The red backlight was however active a moment after turbo as well on the orbrtonics.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The manufacturer (of the light) recommends 20A cells. My guess would be that those harvested cells are unable to sustain the rather large current draw.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The manufacturer (of the light) recommends 20A cells. My guess would be that those harvested cells are unable to sustain the rather large current draw.

I just saw on Bangood~USA, it recommends something like the Samsung 30Q, which is a 15A continuous.

No way those LG laptop pulls can handle anywhere close and frankly, they shouldn't have to.

I don't really think that the Panasonic NCR18650G cells can handle anywhere close, they're just a bit newer and aren't crashing and burning.

OP--wrong cells for the job.

Chris

Last edited:

4Pro

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the input guys, seems like the 30q are the bees knees for what they are lb for lb.

ill find a use for these lg's, got 6 of them.