Fenix UC30 not charging

latearrival

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I'm completely new to your world, having just bought my first 'quality' flashlight - a Fenix UC30. I'm having a problem charging it and I thought the community might have some suggestions for me - user error perhaps? I've searched the forum and Google but couldn't find anything apart from it maybe being a physical fault or fully depleted batteries needing longer to charge...

My problem is that the red charging light is displayed when I have the charging cable plugged in, but the battery does not charge. After 4 hours, the battery is still completely dead.

More info:
  • My Fenix UC30 is a 2017 model, this one.
  • It has the original Fenix 2600mAH rechargeable battery in.
  • The torch is a month old and has never been used apart from turning it off and on again a few times. It worked fine.
  • The torch fully discharged itself in the drawer by the button getting accidentally depressed. This is the first time I've tried to recharge it.
  • When I plug the provided micro-USB charging cable in and press the power button (as per the instructions), the red light displays continuously to indicate that charging is taking place.
  • If I power on the torch while the charging cable is plugged in (and connected to a power source), I can turn the torch on.
  • If I power on the torch while the charging cable is plugged in (and connected to a power source), I can turn the torch on even with the battery removed.
  • When the charging cable is plugged in (and connected to a power source), I can remove the battery and the red charging light stays on.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I don't want to have to go back to Maglites ;)

(I don't have a multimeter)

mcfarlie6996

Newly Enlightened
What is your USB cable connected to? What wall plug source? If it's something that only provides 0.5A then it'll take close to 6 hours to fully recharge. Otherwise it sounds like you're doing everything right and you've possibly got a dud unfortunately. Fenix is a great brand so please do let this deter you away from them. I'd suggest getting a replacement.

latearrival

Newly Enlightened
What is your USB cable connected to? What wall plug source? If it's something that only provides 0.5A then it'll take close to 6 hours to fully recharge.

It was plugged into the USB port of a power brick for another device so I'm not sure what the USB output ratings are. Regardless, it seems you're right - I left the charger connected overnight and my torch was fully charged this morning. 4 hours clearly just wasn't long enough. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. Case closed!