New Maglite 2C ML25LT

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you switch modes?

Don't know, maybe it's like the AA Mini Mag LED where you twist the head twice for low mode? or maybe it's like the MM Pro Plus where you point it down while twisting on for low? They have also increased the run time over the old single mode version from 2 to 7 hrs - not sure if they changed LEDs or went with a step down like on most other Mag LEDs. Should be an interesting light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess it is more like the three cell sans the consistent regulation in the original ML25 2 cell (don't know about the mode change though). This should make a lot of people happy though I kind of like the regulation of the original. We will have to wait and see until somebody gets hold of one. Hopefully they are a little cheaper at retailers than what Mag has them at,don't see them on Zbattery yet and they are usually one of the first retailers to offer the new models. Probably will wait a bit to get one since I just ordered some Fultons thanks to the "Flashlights that take more than one battery type" thread and xxo's excellent post there.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll be checking Home Depot and Wal Mart in March when new models of lights shown at SHOT Show tend to show up on store shelves. If I recall correct the ML25 (gen 1) arrived in March 016 and those warm beam lights showed up at ZBattery around March last year...maybe April?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Always loved the two c cell platform. I'll be getting one of these for sure.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2C ML25 is a real handy size to drop in a jacket pocket or the back pocket of you jeans, but I usually recommended the 3C version to anyone likely to use alkalines because of the short runtime and higher current draw of the 2 cell ML25. Both 2 and 3 cell original ML25's run flat out until the batteries start to give out; after that the 3 cell dies a slow death as it goes into direct drive and the 2C dies fast when the batteries can no longer provide enough Voltage/current to power the boost circuit. I think a step down to a lower output after 15 min, like on most other Mag LEDs would be good on this light.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it only has one output level.

Twist the head to turn it on, then turn the head more to adjust the focus.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it only has one output level.

Twist the head to turn it on, then turn the head more to adjust the focus.

The new version just coming out has 2 modes.

cQh7BCj.jpg

VXgMDpI.jpg

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, there are old and new versions of the ML25LT?

When I search for the mL25LT, I haven't came up the the 2 mode in the post above.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Iirc their spectrum series were first seen on their web site with some eBay sellers having some. Later ZBattery listed those. Local box stores did not have them in my area and may not carry these.

Maglites don't sell like they used to so box stores may be too cautious to place orders for millions to be sold across the country. Eh, if need be I'll by at least one from ZBattery. They tend to get the low serial numbers if you're into that.

The 2 cell ML25IT's I bought from them started at xxxxx17 and went to the 200's. In box stores they started in the 10k serial numbers. The last one I bought for my father in law was 1.6 million + serial number.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
walmart was selling ML25 2 packs (one 2 cell and one 3 cell w/ batteries) for black friday, much like home depot did a few years ago, so I am thinking Mag used up their inventory on the old single mode 2 cells on these and I am guessing that they will come out with a 3 cell 2 mode ML25 when they run out of the old single mode 3 cell version. They kept the same model number on the new 2 cell, so I would think this would be a rolling change as retailers re-order.

maglite mike

Enlightened
IPX4, really?
I really don't believe these maglites are IPX4. It's up to the manufacturer to test themselves and I think some of these smaller companies embellish. Maglite errs on the side of caution with the IPX ratings to avoid people using lights for extreme purposes ie dive lights and having to deal with warranty issues. I think these lights are more like an IPX7 rating. Countless stories including my own 1st hand accounts where maglites have been submerged in water for extended periods of time with no issues.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't believe these maglites are IPX4. It's up to the manufacturer to test themselves and I think some of these smaller companies embellish. Maglite errs on the side of caution with the IPX ratings to avoid people using lights for extreme purposes ie dive lights and having to deal with warranty issues. I think these lights are more like an IPX7 rating. Countless stories including my own 1st hand accounts where maglites have been submerged in water for extended periods of time with no issues.

^I think that's correct. Mag seems to only have the IPX4 level test done on most of their stuff (and yes, they do have their testing done by independent labs to the FL-1 standard - unlike many others that just guesstimate or just make up their specs). There are a few Mags that are IPX7 rated such as the current 2AAA Mini Mag LED.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up the new 2C ML25T at Walmart today. Brightness seems about the same as the previous generation but it is not likely you would notice the difference between 177 and 192 anyway.The new ML25T turns on high by default, a quick twist off and back on changes it to low. Mag lists a 7 hour run-time on high so output must diminish over time unlike the old model. The low run-time is listed as 72 hours and I assume it diminishes over time as well if it actually does run 3 days. The packaging is actually from the 177 lumen model but stickers were added to cover the old specs with the new ones.

I still think there is something to be said for flat 2 hour regulation of the 177 lumen version but the new model will probably get a better reception. The availability of the low mode and presumed change in regulation of the high mode should make this new model a much more viable emergency/car light.