Klarus XT2CR Tactical - How to solve aggravating strobing problem?

wosser

Newly Enlightened
I'll describe a problem I'm having in the hope that one of you has also experienced it and has some advice...

I have a Klarus XT2CR Tactical flashlight and I love absolutely everything about it apart from the "paddle switch" on the tailcap.

In full tactical mode (my preferred mode) the paddle puts the torch into strobe briefly while the thumb is pressing it then off again when you release. But if you hold it down for 3 seconds it latches on strobe forever after you let go. This is incredibly stupid in my opinion, but nevermind, it is what it is. It is supposed to do that according to the manual.

The real issue is that every so often my left leg gets cooked by this thing because somehow something has pressed the paddle down for long enough to trigger permanent strobe. I presume it's the edge of my jacket getting snagged on there or something like that.

The tailcap looks like this...

theshorelinemarket_2555_358659356

The two buttons are:

• Circular button (momentary or latching) = solid TURBO
  • Paddle button (momentary) = brief strobe or permanent strobe

I notice that the paddle button requires less pressure to activate it than the main circular button which is quite firm and takes more effort.

The way I see it I have 3 possible solutions:

1. Remove the metal paddle (would mean damaging the light permanently) to reveal the rubber button beneath it (which should be harder to press accidentally).
  2. Somehow increase the pressure required to push the paddle down (perhaps jamming something under the paddle to add more stiffness?)
  3. Alter the firmware in the torch to remove the hated "latching strobe" feature. I don't even know if this is feasible and I'd rather not sacrifice my favourite light in an experiment.

This torch is an absolute BEAST and I think it's fantastic even despite this aggravating problem. If I can solve this then I may have found my *perfect* EDC.

What would you guys do?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a dremmel to grind back the edge of the paddle so it doesn't catch on stuff.

( Other small drills are available)😁

Will also result in less leverage so the smaller paddle would be harder to press.

Last edited:

wosser

Newly Enlightened
That's not a bad idea, I might use that as plan B. For plan A: I reckon I'll try supergluing a strip of rubber adjacent to the existing rubber switch cover to increase the pressure required to force the switch down.

If I manage to fix this problem I'll upload a picture or two of the fix.

wosser

Newly Enlightened
A. Did it work?
B. Did you see the 'U.K. meet up" threads?

A. Didn't try it in the end, couldn't find a suitable material. Although I've since found 2 additional bugs in the firmware for this light. None of these problems are intolerable and there are simple workarounds for each.

B. No, can't say I have. What do torch nerds do when they meet up?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, our midnight visit inside Stonehenge was pretty good... Scroll down for some of the pics.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?352376-CPF-UK-Meet-2013/page13

And last month we did this.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0-CPF-UK-AND-NOW-THE-2018-PARTY-STARTS!/page3

Add to that trips down abandoned mines, night tours of Brooklands Museum and Brighton theatre, a fair number of pub and park meets with the occasional beach or Wales camping trip thrown in. Oh and quite a lot of crumpets, fish and chips and the occasional curry.