Any D cell LED flashlights from any of the big companies recently?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have any of the "bigger" flashlight companies (aka along the lines of a Fenix/Olight/Streamlight/Thrunite/etc.) put out any modern lights that use D cells recently? No need to be crazy output lights, but I do kind of miss lights coming out that utilize the run-time a D cell can offer. Would love to see something like a 50-100 lumen compact 1-2 D cell light with the quality of a newer machined light from a big company. Seems like it's probably becoming an outdated cell type, no? Fenix made the TK70 a number of years ago for D NiMh cells. Is there anything much much newer and smaller?

Edit: The ML50LX is pretty nice from Maglite. Would love to see that light in 2D with an OP reflector. Maglite kind of makes all their lights with that classic "Maglite" design though. They seem to always use smooth reflectors. At least in every Maglite I own.

2nd Edit: I'm stupid apparently there is a 2-D Cell ML50LX. Don't see it on many stores though for some reason. Had to search hard to find it. It's only in black though which stinks.

Last edited:

Berneck1

Enlightened
Maglite has gotten better with the outputs. However, I haven't seen any of the "cutting-edge" companies come out with anything. I've wondered myself why they won't. I feel it could appeal to some of the "non-flashlight" people a little more.

I recently purchased a Nitecore EA-42. It uses 4 AA batteries. Excellent output, and decent run times. I've often thought being able to put a D-cell tube on here would be awesome!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag is the go to for C and D cell lights. The ML300 (D cell) and ML50 (C cell) series are the most up to date - they may look like the old Mags but they are new designs with lots of "cutting edge" technology (multimode electronic switches, programmable function sets, Cree xml emitters, new quick focus system and excellent heat sinking) designed to be powered by alkaline C and D cells. Both the ML300 and ML300 come in choices of 2 or 3 cell versions, hard anno'd grenade gripped LX versions and a assortment of colors. There are also 4 and 6 cell versions of the ML300.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Click an ML300 twice for about 100 lumens. Both 2 and 3 cell version. Three clicks for about 20 lumens.

And the beam is way way cleaner so no need for the orange peel thing.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is interesting that they have gone so long with the same designs (mostly) and basically only recently started to have actual "modern" internals in a lot of their lights. I do love that grenade grip ML300LX though. That looks so nice. I do have to admit I am starting to think I'd like the C cell version of that light. Especially in the matte tan if I could find it for not too much money. I like how those look like Maglites instantly when you see them, but much more modern just by changing a few things visually.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is interesting that they have gone so long with the same designs (mostly) and basically only recently started to have actual "modern" internals in a lot of their lights. I do love that grenade grip ML300LX though. That looks so nice. I do have to admit I am starting to think I'd like the C cell version of that light. Especially in the matte tan if I could find it for not too much money. I like how those look like Maglites instantly when you see them, but much more modern just by changing a few things visually.

They are not that new, the ML300 as been round since 2015 and this was proceeded by the ML125 (C cell & rechargeable) and ML100 (C cell) which came out in 2011/12.

+1 on the LX versions, I don't think that Mag made all that many of these particularly in colors other than black and some of the colors seem to be getting hard to find - it's a shame that the LX's are not more popular/widely available.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering that EVERYONE sees one and knows its a Mag they would be crazy to change the way they look!
They are the highest end light that you can easily but at retail too.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good question martin

Used to be that everybody's new offerings looked like a Maglite or similar to one.

Many, many, many lights in the 1980's looked like them.

Then the CR123 light reshaped the industry while everybody chased SureFire. Later 18650 sized lights spread like wildfire.

Oh, there are some of the older companies like Rayovac still doing D lights for box stores. But in general, the industry has moved to smaller lights than D sized.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Home Depot has some D cell lights under their store brands (husky/defiant) though these are not near as nice as Mags and they cost almost as much.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advent of led killed the D battery.

HOLD MY TK70! LOL :crackup:

Nah, I don't actually own one, but it would be cool to see Fenix release a 2020 TK70 or something similar. Maybe using 3 of the newest XHP50s or even newer similar emitters at that point? Not gonna happen, but it would be cool.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advent of led killed the D battery.

I think that is true to a point as far as fuel for flashlights go, but not completely - there is still a market for the big D cell Mags! And of course there are the cheap 1D LEds that are replacing the old plastic 2D incan lights.