Grumbling of an international customer

akula88

Enlightened
I'm not sure if this is C'n'J or Cafe discussion.

Disadvantaged as being not served by Paypal, the next best thing for an international customer is to pay via credit card. But majority of vendors do not handle credit card transactions.

An international customer like me shop on web in order to get the best available deal. Normally, if a product is actually available locally on a retail shop, the difference is usually 60 to 100% more expensive.

Dealing with US-based vendors requires us to be very resourceful in payment methods.

1. The fastest and least expensive for us is thru Credit Card /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif. Although, a little risky, but choosing the right vendor and making security precautions removes much of the risk. No additional charges for us.
2. A lot of countries, including mine is not served by Paypal. I don't know how much does paypal charges.
3. Sending US$ bank draft requires us to go to a Bank to purchase. Bank charges, per experience, is around $4.00 per $100.00. Further, you need to send the draft via Postal system ($1.00) which takes around 2-3 weeks to arrive in the US. Sending via Speed Air Mail (5-days) is $7.00
4. Thanks to www.bidpay.com (AuctionPayments.com) for processing my credit cards and sending Western Union MOs. Charges are about $4.95 per $100. But these are only for auctions like eBay, Yahoo, etc.
5. www.PayingFast.com and www.MoneyMover.com are supposed to process credit cards and send Travellers' Express MO to a receipient. Both are currently down. PayingFast denied some of my orders, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif but I can't really tell why.

Down the road, we have to select which shipping method is best for us. "Fastest" would be Global Priority Mail (about 12 days) and $9 or $15.00, while making it "Global Express Mail $24.00 (with insurance)" takes about 3 weeks due to the hassle of manually logging the parcel in every stop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Ironic, but sending it via $3.00 air mail (as long as it is envelope size) does arrive at my destination in the same speed as Global Priority. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Regards,

Johnny.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Johnny,

Where ya at? We seem to be having the same problems too, esp with no PayPal... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
It is a problem that we have seen mentioned many times on CPF. I would think the the 'market' will fix it but it may take time. I don't know the reasons PayPal won't 'go' to certain countries but it probably has to do with banking laws. I hope that someone comes up with a solution, any takers?

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
J and company,
Greetings from Iraq.

As we used to say in New York "You think you got problems!"

Couple of stories.

Wanted to buy some ham radios for use around the base and for company reasons. Also these will tune into broadcast and some military and the KBR radio nets.

Called my dealer back in Virginia. Their company policy requires...
Seems I needed a photo copy of my credit card front and back, also a photo ID.

There is very little paper on this base.

The best way to move documents around is to buy a 'memmory stick'. Diden't have one.

60 bucks later from the px I have 128mBits in plastic.

The nearest printer belongs to an MP unit. Put the order form on the memmory stick and took it to the MP's.
They were kind and printed it out then and there.
So my stuff is printed but now need to photo copy my ID's onto the order form.
The MP's copier was down.

Had to find another copier. Got luckey. This one belongs to the 82nd Airborne.

With their help I copy my ID's front and back to the order form. Manny my co worker brings in his portable document scanner and we convert the order form into electrons and send it off to virginia.

All this to prevent fraud.

Then there is another hump.

I can only order products that can be shipped to an Army APO address. Best I can guess if I tried to order something from a vendor in England they couldent' send it directly to me. APO only deals with the US Post office.

Another hump is the package has to pass via a lot of hands in the Military chain. Not all of them are honest.

Friends from home collected items and made two care packages. One never arrived, and the other went back to them empty.

So you see the humor and joy of life here. I whine, ***** moan and complane. But can't do anything about it.

Did I tell you it takes two weeks to get a box from Amazon.com?

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq

Avix

Newly Enlightened
Pay Pal just had to fork over $150,000.00 to the state of New York for being less than honest.

http://www.theregister.com/content/6/36105.html

a lot of countries around the world don't care for the way Pay Pal does business. in some counties they are considerd a bank, and since they don't meet the local banking laws thier not there. they boned me on a PayPal credit card by jumping my APR to 27% without warning, needless to say that got paid off right away and the card and account canceled and I am still getting bills from them 6 monthes later.

we won't mention the fact that they will turn over your transaction records without a warrant when ever a LEA asks.