New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I held Henry at gunpoint today and forced him to use SolidWorks to make a new clip design... This would be for the Universal Clip... so Universal Clip part Deux.
The clip is just a hair short of the length of the HDS. When attached to the bezel end, would allow a deep pocket carry (bezel down), and could in fact be moved down the head of the light to allow a really friggin' deep pocket carry... where the clip end is actually extending past the tail of the light.
img-3062.jpg

I didn't actually hold him at gunpoint... I did threaten to eat at Los Betos for dinner Sunday night and breakfast Monday morning before I came to HDS for work.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very stout, like it would provide excellent retention. The option for bezel down, deep carry will be very popular.

Will elves be making these?

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
Or Brass to go with the brass light I hope to buy next month? I'd finally have something to match my brass pen.
25qay5h.jpg

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't it need to bend inward a bit, to keep close to the body?
It does bend inward... just hard to see it in the photo.

Would be stainless steel like the current clip section of the Universal Clip, with some of them coated in black just like the current ones.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I'd buy one. Then again, I like (not love) the much-maligned current universal clip. This looks like a huge improvement.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long will it take...
Well, I actually proposed this particular clip on the way to SHOT with Henry... last year... so it only took a year to finally get it drawn out (that can be the tough part). Now that it is in a SolidWorks file, it has already been sent out for quotes for a small number to be made for prototyping. Then, I have to test it... I am NOT a clip guy so I may send one or two out for testing... if you get my meaning.
I'll keep you posted when we have a prototype in our grubby little fingers.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was the latest religious thread that got me in gear to get this done... You know... the holy thread... mounting holes.
Either way, we shall see how this pans out. Hopefully I will have some prototype quotes before Monday.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
And just in case anyone is not familiar with the Universal Clip... this is it. So, just imagine this clip above on it instead of that shorter clip.
clipub-19.jpg

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exciting progress. I never considered buying a universal clip before but now I can definitely see one in my future.

nbp

Flashaholic
Yes, bezel down carry with no kludgy clip on the Rotary tail is a big improvement.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use pocket clips, but I'd imagine there might be some interest in a two way Clicky clip like that.
On second thought, I'm sure you guys have your hands full.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats on the solidworks progress

I needed a visual and found this
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...xecutive-with-new-2xAA-and-18680(18650)-tubes
The universal clip is more versatile as you can fit it the other way round for a bezel-up hold. But, as shown, you still have rubbing while adjusting the light level, this time on the tailcap itself.

72%20HDS%20accessories%20Rot%20universal%20clip1%20P1090180.jpg

However if you bring the mount just over the bezel, you can position the clip in to just sit on the stop screw.

73%20HDS%20accessories%20Rot%20universal%20clip2%20P1090186.jpg

In this position there is no rubbing when adjusting the output.

74%20HDS%20accessories%20Rot%20universal%20clip3%20P1090191.jpg

My problem with the Universal Clip is the ring mount to the light, even if the whole thing was gold plated.
Gold lipstick on a Ring Mount, is still a Ring Mount
quUUgNu.jpg

Based on the enthusiastic responses, Im clearly marching to the beat of a different drummer.