Imalent        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Default New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

So, I held Henry at gunpoint today and forced him to use SolidWorks to make a new clip design... This would be for the Universal Clip... so Universal Clip part Deux.
    The clip is just a hair short of the length of the HDS. When attached to the bezel end, would allow a deep pocket carry (bezel down), and could in fact be moved down the head of the light to allow a really friggin' deep pocket carry... where the clip end is actually extending past the tail of the light.

I didn't actually hold him at gunpoint... I did threaten to eat at Los Betos for dinner Sunday night and breakfast Monday morning before I came to HDS for work.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Default Re: New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Looks very stout, like it would provide excellent retention. The option for bezel down, deep carry will be very popular.

Will elves be making these?
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Will it be 10k gold for strength? Or 18 for beauty?

Flashaholic

Or Brass to go with the brass light I hope to buy next month? I'd finally have something to match my brass pen.

Wouldn't it need to bend inward a bit, to keep close to the body?
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Wouldn't it need to bend inward a bit, to keep close to the body?
    It does bend inward... just hard to see it in the photo.

Would be stainless steel like the current clip section of the Universal Clip, with some of them coated in black just like the current ones.
    I play with dead things

The attachment hoop will be from the current uni clip?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    The attachment hoop will be from the current uni clip?
    Yes. If this comes through, it will be sold just like the Universal, but with this clip section.
    I play with dead things

Any kind of idea on timeframe for how long it might take for these to be available?

This is intriguing.

I’d buy one. Then again, I like (not love) the much-maligned current universal clip. This looks like a huge improvement.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

How long will it take...
    Well, I actually proposed this particular clip on the way to SHOT with Henry... last year... so it only took a year to finally get it drawn out (that can be the tough part). Now that it is in a SolidWorks file, it has already been sent out for quotes for a small number to be made for prototyping. Then, I have to test it... I am NOT a clip guy so I may send one or two out for testing... if you get my meaning.
    I'll keep you posted when we have a prototype in our grubby little fingers.
    I play with dead things

I volunteer

Me too!!

It was the latest religious thread that got me in gear to get this done... You know... the holy thread... mounting holes.
    Either way, we shall see how this pans out. Hopefully I will have some prototype quotes before Monday.
    I play with dead things

And just in case anyone is not familiar with the Universal Clip... this is it. So, just imagine this clip above on it instead of that shorter clip.
    I play with dead things

This is exciting progress. I never considered buying a universal clip before but now I can definitely see one in my future.

Yes, bezel down carry with no kludgy clip on the Rotary tail is a big improvement.

I don't use pocket clips, but I'd imagine there might be some interest in a two way Clicky clip like that.
    On second thought, I'm sure you guys have your hands full.

congrats on the solidworks progress

I needed a visual and found this
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...0(18650)-tubes
    Quote Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post
    The universal clip is more versatile as you can fit it the other way round for a bezel-up hold. But, as shown, you still have rubbing while adjusting the light level, this time on the tailcap itself.

However if you bring the mount just over the bezel, you can position the clip in to just sit on the stop screw.

In this position there is no rubbing when adjusting the output.

My problem with the Universal Clip is the ring mount to the light, even if the whole thing was gold plated.
    Gold lipstick on a Ring Mount, is still a Ring Mount

Based on the enthusiastic responses, Im clearly marching to the beat of a different drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    Based on the enthusiastic responses, Im clearly marching to the beat of a different drummer.
    There will never be a solution that appeals to everyone... and this is the fastest... and probably the only solutions that "might" come to fruition at HDS for a deep pocket carry bezel down clip.
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    deep pocket carry bezel down clip.
    oh, I misunderstood, my narrow mind was focused on the Bezel Down part of the equation, for a Rotary

I see now that this clip is also for Clickies to have a deeper carry option than the present clip that goes under the tailcap

well done! A truly Universal Deep Carry Solution...
    Last edited by jon_slider; 01-23-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Naturally, I would rather have the clip bolted to the light somehow like all of my custom lights do, but as that’s got a flying pig’s chance of happening, this progress toward a slimmer bezel down option for Rotary where you don’t have to clamp it to the dial itself is still welcome advancement.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Naturally, I would rather have the clip bolted to the light somehow like all of my custom lights do, but as that’s got a flying pig’s chance of happening, this progress toward a slimmer bezel down option for Rotary where you don’t have to clamp it to the dial itself is still welcome advancement.
    Youre right, the new universal blade does not need to be clamped to the rotary dial, it can be clamped to the head. And youre also right, there is a snowball's chance in Hawaii, that HDS is going to drill holes into the head to hold a clip. So the Universal Clamp, is here to stay.

And the new blade makes it better, since it offers the first true deep carry clip to be available, for any ACME HDS, both Clicky and Rotary. It is indeed a truly Universal Solution.

Plus it harkens back to the days of Yore, when heads had holes in them, and clips were connected to the head of the light, and had long lines and were bent back into a second layer, that creates both bezel up and bezel down carry options, in a single design.

There is a lot to be said for the new blade for the Universal Clamp. It also does not require any changes to the HDS Light, such as screw holes, which much as you and I may want them, I agree with you, are not going to happen.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 01-24-2019 at 12:20 AM.

Flashaholic*

@Hogo
    Will the new clip replace the old version, or is it a 2nd variant? I understand the advantages of the clip design that makes it possible wearing it bezel up and down. For me the disadvantage is that it is not that easy or maybe imüpossible fiddel some shrink tubing on this clip, to prevent the clip scratching on the flashlight surface.

You need to know, I am a person buying often high price products, because I only want to buy once. But I am also a person that uses the products very gently. Therefore I put some shrink tube on clips where the clip has contact to the flashlight surface...

Btw. I like the solution that fyrstormer did with his Rotary.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    Plus it harkens back to the days of Yore...
    Quoth the raven...

Heck, I might even buy one of these, and I'm not known for my affection for pocket clips.

OK. So I got a quote back from the company that makes the stainless clips on this new design.
    I blew my rape whistle.
    I called a couple crisis hotlines.
    I curled up in the fetal position and cried like a little girl for an hour.

Well, maybe not but I did blurt out some choice expletives and phrases that questioned both the paternity and career choice of said manufacturers parents.

This was for a quote of 15 of these clips that would replace the short clip on the Universal Clip.
    I'm not a clip guy. Henry is not a clip guy. I know many of you are but...

Sit down and have a few choice words ready...

Just the clip that would replace the short clip on the Universal Clip... costs more than the entire Universal Clip.

So there are 3 options here.

1. Just scrap the idea.
    2. Just scrap the idea.
    3. Go to China which means "just scrap the idea."

Granted, the price would go down with a larger quantity. 15 is really only a prototype run... However Henry does not see demand for say 50 or 100 of these at the price point they would end up at... which would still be stupid high in my opinion. I mean, we would looking at like $120 for a freakin' clip (universal included but MY GOD JIM... I'M A DOCTOR NOT A CLIPSMITH!) I personally just don't see it happening.

I know many folks will say "just find another company to do it." which is much easier said than done... If you know of a U.S. company that does this kind of thing, I'm all ears.
    I play with dead things

Ouch. That does indeed sound prohibitively expensive. Do you know why it costs so much more that the regular design? I it the loop-over style?

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Ouch. That does indeed sound prohibitively expensive. Do you know why it costs so much more that the regular design? I it the loop-over style?
    I believe so. I'm not a "metal" guy, but I think it has a lot to do with the design. Freakin' crazy expensive for a clip.
    I play with dead things

You should go to your safe place, Hogo. Eventually, the pocket-clip-rotary crowd will just have to order custom leather.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast