NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Default Re: New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Stainless then blackened. It's only gold because Henry is designing it in Solid Works.
    To go along with this new clip, I ordered the Universal pocket clip, Black but after I placed the order I learned that the new clip will be silver. Is my order still okay or should I change it to the Universal pocket clip, Silver?

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    To go along with this new clip, I ordered the Universal pocket clip, Black but after I placed the order I learned that the new clip will be silver. Is my order still okay or should I change it to the Universal pocket clip, Silver?
    The band on all UC's is black. The silver or black on it just refers to the actual clip portion.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

I know many folks will say "just find another company to do it." which is much easier said than done... If you know of a U.S. company that does this kind of thing, I'm all ears.
    There is an idea, I somehow found the brochure of this company from 1988 year at the dump. They were great then. They are still alive, they have their own factory in the USA and they are engaged in contract manufacturing:

http://www.bihler.com/technology/con...manufacturing/

Write them a letter. I see that their cars can make 5,000 parts per hour or more. The design of this clip is easy compared to what they can do. In one day of work, they can provide the HDS with clips for 50 years ahead.

The only thing I can't do is find out from them the price for a batch of clips of a certain amount, because I do not know the brand of steel and its heat treatment, the exact size and many other important details, I don't even have a drawing. They may even have a minimum order amount that may be too high.

The most expensive, I think, is the working parts that will directly bend the clip, but due to the simplicity of the form, the company may already have suitable molding tips (which move) and rods around which clip fold will occur.

Generally cool machines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_BG3J_MSc8
    judging by the video, these guys also have this car, you can call and ask them the conditions and the opportunity:
    http://www.phoenixtooling.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XtyJTMiKZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=400UM08TXW8

Maybe can cut a strip in 1 place, make 3 threaded holes in another place, make bends in 3 place, taking into account the time of work of machinists, these estimated 3 places to create 1 clip can stop in 9 laps of hell
    Last edited by desert.snake; 02-27-2019 at 04:36 AM.

Flashaholic*

@Hogo
    Since the clips will arrive very soon @HDS. Is it possible to ship my clip with one of my brass lights instead of ship the clip alone?

I ask here because I will not bother you and Henry with emails at this time.
    Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 03-19-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Can't wait to try the new deep pocket carry HDS pocket clip!
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-19-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Brevity

I play with dead things

Thanks for the photos, looks great to me. I know thereís a lot of hate for the current Universal but it works for me, especially on the belt. This looks very promising and more versatile. Tried it on a ball cap bill?
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Looks pretty good!

Not too shabby! I look forward to seeing mine!

For those who have used the uni clip, can the metal clamp band scratch up a cerakoted bezel? Should I put a little slip of paper or something between the two when I install this new two way clip on my orange Rotary?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Not too shabby! I look forward to seeing mine!

For those who have used the uni clip, can the metal clamp band scratch up a cerakoted bezel? Should I put a little slip of paper or something between the two when I install this new two way clip on my orange Rotary?
    Just make sure all 3 screws are loose when you put it on. I don't think you will be able to get a thin piece of paper in there.
    I play with dead things

Just make sure all 3 screws are loose when you put it on. I don't think you will be able to get a thin piece of paper in there.
    Speaking of screws, what if, by some off-chance, a careless user just dropped two screws in his shop and canít find them? Would you guys send spare screws with the outrageously expensive universal clip?
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    Speaking of screws, what if, by some off-chance, a careless user just dropped two screws in his shop and canít find them? Would you guys send spare screws with the outrageously expensive universal clip?
    Send us an email requesting them... and do it NOW! We plan to ship these today.
    I play with dead things

Oh wow, I didn't realize the tolerances were that tight. I assumed it was like a hose clamp.

Oh wow, I didn't realize the tolerances were that tight. I assumed it was like a hose clamp.
    This is Henry you're talking about.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Got it...Done.

Flashaholic*

@Hogo

The new 2-way clip looks cool.

I already asked this Question: Is it possible to combine shipping of the clip and a brass Rotary?
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

All requests to HDS need to be emailed and not posted.
    I play with dead things

Oooh. I need one of those universal two-ways.

My OEEC (outrageously expensive extended clip) or just "two-way clip" for short, has landed. Some pics for my fellow clip nerds while we assess the viability of this little beastie.

This specialty clip and reflector equals $200 of add-ons to a $300 flashlight. We really are weirdos here. Haha

My OEEC (outrageously expensive extended clip) or just "two-way clip" for short, has landed. Some pics for my fellow clip nerds while we assess the viability of this little beastie.

This specialty clip and reflector equals $200 of add-ons to a $300 flashlight. We really are weirdos here. Haha
    Mine should arrive next week with a new XPG3 HDS flashlight.

What is your assessment of the strength/sturdiness/durability of the clip band/fastener given the leverage of the 3.5 inch length of the clip?

Id love to see what one of these looks like on an 18650 tube. Seems like if you slid the attachment down to the tail end of the head it might still work for deep carry.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Testing has started

That is a BIG piece of metal! Bet in an emergency you could use it as a pry bar😄
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

So does the clip ride against the rotary dial?
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I was thinking the same thing. Obviously it canít because they never would of made it in the first place but it looks dam close. Wondering with use if it will bend and CSUís rubbing
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    So does the clip ride against the rotary dial?
    Not with any pressure. If you hold it close to your head and turn the dial you can hear a faint sound of the tailcap just touching the clip. Iím sure if you take it off and flex it the other way a little you could make it go away entirely. I may experiment with that.

Here's couple of photos as installed on the rotary tail. I tried it both ways. I have never used a two way clip before so excuse my ignorance when it is apparent.

There are a couple of things I noticed if you like to adjust the output one-handed (my habit).
    When I use the light in an underhand position, I adjust it by compressing the tail with my pinky and palm and use my thumb and forefinger to rotate the head/body. Having it attached at the bezel pretty much prevents this.
    Conversely, attaching the clip on the rotary end prevents one hand adjustment in the overhand position. There is some adjustment available if you hold it just right but no more than 1/4 turn. I suppose it's no big deal if your always a "two hand adjuster".
    Retention pressure in the pictured orientation with bezel-down in pants pocket is only slight. It does hang deeply though and for casually just walking/sitting I don't see it coming out. If you like to do back flips or stand on your head a lot, it'll probably fall out...
    Lets just say that runners, rock climbers, cavers, acrobats etc. should consider some kind of lanyard-to-belt-loop or some other secondary form of attachment if they want to hang this configuration in their pocket with the bezel down. Again, this all may be normal for this type of clip...

In bezel-up carry, clipped to the pants pocket, retention is better.

In the attachment config as pictured, the light becomes very useful as a quick and dirty headlamp if you want to attach it to the bill of a ball cap. Retention is pretty good. Again, I would use it on the ball cap for more leisurely activities...car repair, hands-free night walking, stuff like that. In other words, its no replacement for a dedicated headlamp but will suffice in a pinch as long as you have the clip attached on the rotary tail. When attached to the bezel, retention is not sufficient to hold it onto the bill.

The only concern I have as attached to the rotary tail: is this too stressful on the rotary mechanism when the clip is pushed and pulled, thereby pushing pulling the rotary cap with it? Right now I feel it is not but it is one consideration I suppose.

I wouldn't fret about wear on the Roatay mechanism. I've one apart a few times, and they're pretty bomp proof.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

That reminds me of that big old black clip that came with older hds lights canít think of the model off hand

Initial thoughts on the clip are positive. Itís nice to finally have an option to clip carry. Deep carry is always my favorite method of carry wether itís knives or flashlights. My screws holding the clip to the ring keep coming loose but thatís probably my fault (Iím super paranoid about stripping the threads). More thoughts to come.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast