Imalent        
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Default Re: New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I wouldn't fret about wear on the Roatay mechanism. I've one apart a few times, and they're pretty bomp proof.
    P
    Thanks Peter! Reassuring.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by calypso699 View Post
    ...My screws holding the clip to the ring keep coming loose but thatís probably my fault (Iím super paranoid about stripping the threads). More thoughts to come.
    A little bit of medium strength loctite handles that pretty well. Worked for me. But ONLY medium...as I remember itís blue...never use the heavy-duty stuff unless your really sure you never want to remove it!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    A little bit of medium strength loctite handles that pretty well. Worked for me. But ONLY medium...as I remember itís blue...never use the heavy-duty stuff unless your really sure you never want to remove it!
    Great tip! Thank you, Iíll apply some. I think I have both purple and blue.

Yep. Never red, unless you want it to be permanent.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Here's couple of photos as installed on the rotary tail. I tried it both ways. I have never used a two way clip before so excuse my ignorance when it is apparent.

There are a couple of things I noticed if you like to adjust the output one-handed (my habit).
    When I use the light in an underhand position, I adjust it by compressing the tail with my pinky and palm and use my thumb and forefinger to rotate the head/body. Having it attached at the bezel pretty much prevents this.
    Conversely, attaching the clip on the rotary end prevents one hand adjustment in the overhand position. There is some adjustment available if you hold it just right but no more than 1/4 turn. I suppose it's no big deal if your always a "two hand adjuster".
    Retention pressure in the pictured orientation with bezel-down in pants pocket is only slight. It does hang deeply though and for casually just walking/sitting I don't see it coming out. If you like to do back flips or stand on your head a lot, it'll probably fall out...
    Lets just say that runners, rock climbers, cavers, acrobats etc. should consider some kind of lanyard-to-belt-loop or some other secondary form of attachment if they want to hang this configuration in their pocket with the bezel down. Again, this all may be normal for this type of clip...

In bezel-up carry, clipped to the pants pocket, retention is better.

In the attachment config as pictured, the light becomes very useful as a quick and dirty headlamp if you want to attach it to the bill of a ball cap. Retention is pretty good. Again, I would use it on the ball cap for more leisurely activities...car repair, hands-free night walking, stuff like that. In other words, its no replacement for a dedicated headlamp but will suffice in a pinch as long as you have the clip attached on the rotary tail. When attached to the bezel, retention is not sufficient to hold it onto the bill.

The only concern I have as attached to the rotary tail: is this too stressful on the rotary mechanism when the clip is pushed and pulled, thereby pushing pulling the rotary cap with it? Right now I feel it is not but it is one consideration I suppose.

Your findings mirror mine exactly, and I am still debating bezel vs tail mounting, your differences you mentioned are spot on.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

I like bezel mount, so itís bezel down in the pocket. Plus, then thereís nothing attached to that nice dial. The advantage of this one is you can have bezel down AND bezel mount at the same time! With the standard Univ clip you had to choose between the two.

Default New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

The only great advantage of the original Universal that I can discern is for clipping to a belt. Itís far more secure on a belt than this two-way. If your belt is 1.5Ē or less, you really gotta pull it off your belt with intent for it to come off.

I think I have decided rotary mount, because I can still rotate the light settings when using the light in my hand by pinching 3-4 finger and palm, and rotating the main body, just the same motion as my old magnetic ring jetbeams.

The beauty of the system though, flexibility.

I encourage the HDS team to consider makng these available, but understand the cost effectiveness issues, but I like the design.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

After a few daysí use, I really like the prototype clip. I prefer bezel down carry, but with the existing universal clip attached to the rotary dial it was more complex to turn the dial. The new clip is attached to the head, and allows for both bezel down carry in a pocket (and deeper carry at that!) while also preserving the easy use of the rotary dial.

Thanks for designing and making available the prototype run!

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Id love to see what one of these looks like on an 18650 tube. Seems like if you slid the attachment down to the tail end of the head it might still work for deep carry.
    Sorry it took so long...Got lazy...Here ya go!

I think it's a winner on the 18650. I think it's gonna stay there.

There's enough flashlight below the pocket line that even I wouldn't worry about losing it.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I gotta agree, it looks right at home on an 18650 tube. I think thatís where my clip is going to go as well.

Iím gonna carry it in my right front pocket for a few days...see how it does...I agree with Modern, it sits deeply and no chance it will push itself out. Carried it over to my Daughters house and wrestled around with her two boys and it stayed put no problem.

Sorry it took so long...Got lazy...Here ya go!

Nice! Thanks. That's how I was hoping it would look.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

My current decision:

I thought and tried it, but was hard to work rotary with one hand.

I received my New Style clip today for my Executive Style HDS light and am undecided about using it. Initially, I thought it would be a good summer time solution in addition to my inside pocket holster. Now, I am having second thoughts.

Presently, I have eight (8) Thors Hammer Custom Leather holster solutions and three (3) Prometheus clips. Decided not to use the Prometheus clips about a year ago because I did not like how they changed the ergonomics of my Executive Lights. My concern is similar for this new clip.

Going to think about the New Style clip for a few days and decide whether I want to install it and dedicate a HDS light to it.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 04-04-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Remove photos

You had a month to think about it - just stick it on and try it out bro! Itís not permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    You had a month to think about it - just stick it on and try it out bro! Itís not permanent.
    Yes, you are correct. I carry my HDS light everyday and use my light, meaning it is On, 60-90 minutes every day. For the past month I was paying careful attention to how I hold and manipulate the HDS light and came to the conclusion that a hard clip of any style, Prometheus, HDS, or other, may not be right for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    ...I was paying careful attention to how I hold and manipulate the HDS light and came to the conclusion that a hard clip of any style, Prometheus, HDS, or other, may not be right for me personally.
    I admit that I was surprised when you expressed interest in the clip. You're a holster guy like me. From another perspective, that makes you the toughest critic. If anyone is going to find the flaws, it will be the unforgiving holster devotee. Perhaps the group would benefit from your feedback? I thought about buying in for that very reason, but I just can't bring myself to spend the coin on a clip.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I admit that I was surprised when you expressed interest in the clip. You're a holster guy like me. From another perspective, that makes you the toughest critic. If anyone is going to find the flaws, it will be the unforgiving holster devotee. Perhaps the group would benefit from your feedback? I thought about buying in for that very reason, but I just can't bring myself to spend the coin on a clip.
    I think I have resigned myself to the no clip camp. This is mostly because of how I grab and hold the HDS light. Over the last 30 days I learned that my preferred holding style is like a cigar with the light between my fingers. To get the most secure grip on the light, the clip cannot be touching either finger. To ensure that sometimes the light has to be rotated after the draw. This manipulation of the light has four drawbacks for me. 1. It takes time, 2. It takes thought, 3. It takes two hands and, 4. It means that my grip on the light is less secure during the manipulation which means I might risk dropping the light.

It it might be better to ask someone that prefers a clip to evaluate the HDS clip as it compares to other clip solutions. For the HDS light, I have learned that I am not that person.

It's why neither Henry nor I are good at evaluating a clip. In my opinion, a good clip is one that can be taken off from whatever it is on, then tossed in a drawer never to be seen again.

The Rotary does present it's own very special "clip" problems because of that tail. What ends up simple on a clicky style light, becomes much more complicated with the Rotary.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Well, I like this clip.

So far the only ďdownsideĒ Iíve noticed it that it adds a bit of girth to the head of the light just based on the way the clampy thing is desgned, which a screw on clip doesnít have. This is a small quibble though. In use, I like the double back clip. My favorite part is the deep carry - we havenít had that option since the MOLLE clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    It's why neither Henry nor I are good at evaluating a clip. In my opinion, a good clip is one that can be taken off from whatever it is on, then tossed in a drawer never to be seen again.

The Rotary does present it's own very special "clip" problems because of that tail. What ends up simple on a clicky style light, becomes much more complicated with the Rotary.

Well, I think you got a lot of different feedback from a fair number of different users, I have settled on having a clip only on my diffused rotary with 3500 219b emitter. It is strictly a home power outage, gentle on the eyes house light, never in a pocket slip, belt, hat, or for use to illuminate serious subjects while using persuading devices. Not my purpose, but I do like this style clip much better than the other I purchased with my first Rotary.
    Last edited by Commodorefirst; 04-05-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Here is a quick and dirty photo of how I hold the rotary with the clip attached to the tail. Fully able to rotate the head and body while pinching the bezel with thumb and first finger, and the tail in the palm stays stationary. Note how my fingers almost use the clip shape as a placement guide for pinky and middle two fingers, good indexing in the dark, and good secuirity with the light not rotating in hand or when set on a table because of the clip. I have no need for a lanyard or other item to stop rolling on tables if needed, like on my older lights.

Also with bezel down pocket clip pants carry, I can press the button as I draw and adjust the output, with one hand. Although I rarely would carry it this way, but I do have the option.

Last edited by Commodorefirst; 04-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.

What would any of you who purchased one of these clips change if anything... other than price.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Since you asked... I wouldn't mind seeing small hex screws instead of philips. I completely understand that would make it WAY too easy to strip out the body of the clip and is a non-starter, but I wouldn't mind seeing them. And maybe 5-10į less angle at the bend where the tip of the clip that sits outside your pocket is. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it almost sticks out away from the body a hair too far imho.

BY THE WAY: I will publicly admit I am a dumb bass. I was ready to send the Hogo Signal up into the sky to call Shorty or Longman for help. Fot the LIFE of me, I couldn't get the darned thing tight. I was frustrated big time. Ready to toss the clip. Had a momentary flash of brilliance and pulled all three screws and put them side by side. My old eyes were able to discern one screw being a touch longer than the other two. The long one goes in the center... DUH.

SO- One more suggestion- Maybe a blackened screw for the center one? Or two blackened ones for the short ones? Some obvious way to tell them apart for us old folks?
    Last edited by scout24; 04-05-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    What would any of you who purchased one of these clips change if anything... other than price.
    Love the shape and current angles, understand that others have a legitimate different thought, but I love the design, and bezel/tail flexibility. I would not change anything beyond offering it as an available option. (maybe in black too, but that might require that anodizing word. Lol)

If put into production, I would order a second unit if I could get a rotary 18650 tube.

Default New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Since I now understand fully why ANY clip on a Rotary will hinder one hand rotary control one way or the other, I donít think it can get much better than this. After carrying the 18650 clipped in my right pocket for a few days with the clip fastened low on the bezel end, I can say for certain that this design makes the 18650 far easier to EDC. I almost never brought the 18650 out and about because pocket carry was just too cumbersome. Now itís a breeze.
    Last edited by Johnnyh; 04-05-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Canít say Iím a fan of how the clip marks up the bezel. Not sure how itíll do if on the anodized body. On this light itís more annoying than anything. On a cerakote or special metal?? Houston, we have a problem.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast