FourSevens        
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Default Re: New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

Oh shoot. Now I gotta take mine off my cerakote light to see if it has done any damage to the coating. That would be a major Con if it did.

Flashaholic*

My advice would be remove all 3 screws, and than the clip can be removed with a minimum of pressure on the light. The outer aluminium piece should than also be removed without any problem. In case it is not reasy to remove, oil or something similar may help to protect the surface.

I really hope the ceracote will not be damaged. The light Looks that cool!

--- edit typo: remore = remove
    Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 04-07-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by calypso699 View Post
    Canít say Iím a fan of how the clip marks up the bezel. Not sure how itíll do if on the anodized body. On this light itís more annoying than anything. On a cerakote or special metal?? Houston, we have a problem.

I added the picture above with the clip in focus.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    My advice would be remore all 3 screws, and than the clip can be removed with a minimum of pressure on the light. The outer aluminium piece should than also be removed without any problem. In case it is not reasy to remove, oil or something similar may help to protect the surface.

I really hope the ceracote will not be damaged. The light Looks that cool!
    Thanks for the tip and Iíll keep it in mind. However I donít recall having any issues taking it off the light so Iím not sure thatís what caused it.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Oh shoot. Now I gotta take mine off my cerakote light to see if it has done any damage to the coating. That would be a major Con if it did.
    fingers crossed it didnít.

Well look at the bright side. At least it was expensive. Ouch. 😩
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Well look at the bright side. At least it was expensive. Ouch. 
    Well, the attachment isn't any different than the standard Universal clip, but I haven't had one like this before.

I took it off and it didn't cause any damage. I think it was nice and tight so it couldn't move. Perhaps if it was wiggling around a lot maybe the metal spring area that presses against the light from the pressure of the screw could possibly scuff it a little. On the steel bezel that tiny bit of burnishing would bother me at all, but on the Cerakote I do care. So, I cut a small square of masking tape and put it on the clip spring on the inside of the loop where it presses against the bezel. Then I put it back on nice and tight. I don't think it will wiggle, but in the event that the clip moves at all the tape should now protect the Cerakote. All set!

Well, the attachment isn't any different than the standard Universal clip, but I haven't had one like this before.

I took it off and it didn't cause any damage. I think it was nice and tight so it couldn't move. Perhaps if it was wiggling around a lot maybe the metal spring area that presses against the light from the pressure of the screw could possibly scuff it a little. On the steel bezel that tiny bit of burnishing would bother me at all, but on the Cerakote I do care. So, I cut a small square of masking tape and put it on the clip spring on the inside of the loop where it presses against the bezel. Then I put it back on nice and tight. I don't think it will wiggle, but in the event that the clip moves at all the tape should now protect the Cerakote. All set!
    Good deal, sounds like your approach will work. It doesnít bother me on the steel bezel at all but like you cerakote would be an issue as will the special metals.

Yes, I could see that being an issue. The only good thing about the red metals is that they are "self healing" in that even if they scuff a little they form a nice patina over that. But I think a tiny bit of material like the tape can help insure that things are tight and cushioned.

Yes, I could see that being an issue. The only good thing about the red metals is that they are "self healing" in that even if they scuff a little they form a nice patina over that. But I think a tiny bit of material like the tape can help insure that things are tight and cushioned.
    god point about the red metals being self healing.

Flashaholic*

@Hogo

Regarding the new prototype clip. Is it possible to buy 3 screws and the black aluminium part for the clip separately? If possible how can I get it.

My clip will reach me on Friday hopefully. Later I would like to have 2 complete clips, the regular one and a 2 way version.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    @Hogo

Regarding the new prototype clip. Is it possible to buy 3 screws and the black aluminium part for the clip separately? If possible how can I get it.

My clip will reach me on Friday hopefully. Later I would like to have 2 complete clips, the regular one and a 2 way version.
    You need the Universal Clip for this prototype to work. We only sell the UC as one piece with the short clip attached.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Ok, I had some time with the new clip and have some thoughts. Generally I like it. Is it way better? Not really for me. It adds more bulk to the light then the standard clip. It does allow the light to ride deeper in the pocket if you want. I will probbly go back to the standard clip as deeper in the pocket is not a huge deal for me and I prefer less bulk. I am very bulk sensitiveÖ no wallet, HATE keys in pockets, etc. However, I am not willing to sell it off just yet as I hope to someday get a 18650 tube (when they are available) and from reading other post it might be perfect for that configuration.

Changes to consider:

1) Not as wide...Ö I would taper it down after the attachment point.

2) The kick up on the end is WAY to steep! It sticks out and seems to "grab" walls, car doors, etc. I get that it makes it easier to clip on to the clothing.... but that sucker sticks out way to much. Change the angle or the length, or both.

3) Black finish..... the stainless seems to stand out more against my pants and black tends to blend in. I know this was a prototype run and efforts were made to keep the cost down. Just my opinion. I actually did not expect it to matter but the color seems important for blending in.

4) I doubt this will change as HDS is invested too much into the design /inventory (gleaned from a post someplace). I feel strongly the attachment to the aluminum ring is an engineering flaw. I actually stopped carrying all my HDS lights for several years because of this attachment point defect. The three micro screws are constantly coming loose and because of this my light slipped out of the mount and was inches from rolling off the pier and into the ocean. Now with the larger clip I can not go one day with out the screws coming loose. I should not have to carry a screwdriver around and tighten the clip daily. Yes, my screw heads are worn... that might be an issue...Ö but if I had not had an "issue" they would not have been "used/ worn".

I own a lot of "high end" lights and have NEVER had a clip loosing up issue except with my Universal HDS clip. I have never had to use a thread lock liquid on any of my other lights...ÖÖ I do not recall even having to retighten them. The Phillip head micro screws are not trustworthy on a hard use light/tool.
    Fix.... Allen or thorax screw heads? I will be looking for a source soon or I will give up my HDS as a true EDC light..... sad as it is truly my favorite but I do not want or feel like I should have to look after the tightness of the screws on an hourly/ daily routine.

Now well intentioned people will offer their "solutions" but they should not be necessary of a light of this quality and marketed as a tough tool. And for the cost of the clip system...

I love my HDS lights that is why I get so "worked up" that I cant carry them in a way I prefer with complete confidence that the light clip will hold together. I wish we had a true fix from HDS.

Just my thoughts and experiences...Ö hope it is helpful in some way. Not trying to be troll, just want to be truthful and authentic.

Fantastic lights, clip.... not so much...

Mine came loose once...put the screws back in each with a dab of blue (medium strength) loctite...hasnít done it since...might be worth a try.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post
    Just my thoughts and experiences...Ö hope it is helpful in some way. Not trying to be troll, just want to be truthful and authentic.

Fantastic lights, clip.... not so much...
    Excellent post. This is what I need to hear. Like I said before, Henry nor I are "clip guys".
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

I agree with point 2. And also that the screws ought to be hex heads as itís way too easy to strip out tiny phillips screws like that. You need to be able to crank down these screws.

What was the consensus here? While I'm not a pocket clip guy, I'm such a fan of HDS that I hope the rotary crowd finds pocket space for their whirly bottomed torches. Mine has a happy home in Hogo leather, but that doesn't answer everyone's need.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic*

I guess I am also not a "clip guy". I have several HDS lights but only 2 with installed Clip, both are Clicky models. The Rotary capable clip I had on one of my Rotaries. I tried this clip in both styles. The normal stock Version and the univeral clip prototype also. For me the Rotary is best without a clip at all.
    The universal clip prototype is well made, but the clip "destroys" the cool and straight forward design of the Rotary. For me the clip is too Long, and the light does not looks good anymore. I understand why the clip is that long. It doesn't matter if the clip is used bezel up or down. Maybe a shorter universal Clip looks better on a HDS?
    Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 05-25-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    What was the consensus here? While I'm not a pocket clip guy, I'm such a fan of HDS that I hope the rotary crowd finds pocket space for their whirly bottomed torches. Mine has a happy home in Hogo leather, but that doesn't answer everyone's need.
    Iíve actually come up with something I ve been working on for quite awhile and it solves the lost in the pocket problem while adding much more security addressing a few different scenarios or problems we Rotary guys have. It will work for a Clicky too and I m currently testing my prototype. So far so good!
    Donít Tread On Me

I would love to see another design.

I'm definitely a clip (and lanyard) guy. So far the best substitute rotary clip I've found is the Streamlight 1L/2L clip-on.

Tight, cheap, fits in a holster, stays put.

Only drawback is it fits on so tight you may scratch your light adding/removing the clip if not careful.

The universal clip around the tail never appealed to me..

Not to take anything away from this thread and I know you guys are tired of seeing this.. It works.

"Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

Quote Originally Posted by indigon View Post
    I would love to see another design.

I'm definitely a clip (and lanyard) guy. So far the best substitute rotary clip I've found is the Streamlight 1L/2L clip-on.
    [snip]
    I tried the original universal clip and didnít really like having to secure on rotary.

After seeing @Indigon mention the Streamlight 1L/2L on another thread, I tried the Streamlight 1L 1AA with a lanyard to secure it. It isnít deep carry but allows bezel up or down clipping and works well for my purposes.

Nice setup. I also found adding one or more 5/8" common sink o-rings to the throat will keep the lanyard and clip tight and prevent it from moving around..
    "Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

I like the Fenix LD22 clip. I tuck the lanyard behind my belt and it catches the HDS in the event it separates from the clip. This has happened a couple of times over the course of a few years but I have never lost a light or a clip. It does cause wear around the light where the clip attaches to the light but I carry my HDS as a kickass tool and not jewelry. I have the same setup with my brass HDS, which I now carry exclusively. Oddly enough, the brass HDS does not show any wear where the clip attaches. Probably because there is no anno to wear off.
    Last edited by flashlight nut; 05-25-2019 at 08:06 PM.

There is a ďHow do you carry your HDSĒ thread. Letís not confuse it with this thread which is specifically about this proto clip.

There is a ďHow do you carry your HDSĒ thread. Letís not confuse it with this thread which is specifically about this proto clip.
    Understood. But these responses show how rotary users carry their lights, which could be valuable feedback in the development of future clips for the rotary.

Totally agree. Really enjoy seeing how folks have adapted different clip methods for their HDS lights. I believe a totally acceptable HDS universal clip will definitely require some thinking "out of the box".. (Probably stupid simple). -JMHO. Keep those suggestions coming.

Itís not a clip but still a very reliable and simple solution that doesnít involve tying knots and having braiding skills. I ve also built it to work for other methods of operation including keeping your keys safe on a boat trip as well as other activities.
    If anyone wants to know pm me
    Donít Tread On Me

Well you can't just leave us in suspense, can you?
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Totally forgot about this thread.lol are we still looking for a clip for a rotary?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast