• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Anyone selling a DSLR?

light-modder

Enlightened
Looking for a used but good condition DSLR and a lens. Prefer Cannon but will consider others as well. Thanks

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a used but good condition DSLR and a lens. Prefer Cannon but will consider others as well. Thanks

Ebay prob your best bet on a Canon T6i or a Nikon 3200/3400. I outgrew my D5100 fast, love the 7500. Mirrorless is coming but I love a good optical viewfinder and awesome battery life. Good luck. Get a prime lens like a 35 f 1.8, amazing sharpness.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked to see what KEH.com has to offer? They are my go-to site for any and all used gear. I could rave about them for hours. Their grading scale is considered the industry standard for used gear, and they are VERY generous in the favor of the customer in their ratings. Best prices out there too.

Also, you may want to include price range.

light-modder

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm new to this and have not checked anywhere yet. My wife wants one to take pictures of our children wearing things she buys from small shops that in turn use those photos for promotional purposes.

Vemice I have created room.

Keitho

Enlightened
I have thousands of dollars of modern photography equipment. But, if I were to try to use it to take pictures in good lighting, that people will only be viewing on screens (not printed), I would struggle to make photos any better than a flagship smartphone (iPhone, pixel, Galaxy). Start with good lighting and a smartphone: there is an LED softbox kit on 'zon for $100. That plus a white sheet, and some experimentation with a decent smartphone, will give you great results with a very fast and intuitive workflow. If your smartphone allows manual control over settings (apeture, iso, shutter speed), then learn to use them on the phone in order to inform an eventual DSLR or mirrorless ILC purchase.

If you find later that your use case demands something specific (shallow DOF, very large print sizes, macro close ups, whatever), then it is time to research the tools that you'll need (sensor size, lenses, lighting, AF features, computational photography tools, post processing software, etc.).

A cheap DSLR will almost certainly be disappointing, especially with a kit lens and poor subject lighting.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
+1 that a dead stock DSLR isn't much better than a phone; camera manufacturers want to lure phone snappers so they keep the price low by bundling a basic lens. The first thing you need to improve is the photographer - I'm a fan of Tony & Chelsea Northrup who have a 1+ million-subscriber photography learning channel on Youtube, aside from a whole free library of topic-specific learning videos, they do a weekly live show where people send in their pictures and they show you what pros are looking for and what they'd change, all episodes are archived there, free as well. Their giant book is only $10 for the Kindle version, which includes over 14 hours of videos, highly recommended. Their approach is simple and casual, like learning photography from the friendly neighbor couple next door, not scholarly and with almost no math; this video is a good introduction to both the hobby and the Northrups:

After you get your camera and some learning, it'll come down to the lens and the lighting; add a $70 generic speedlight and a $100 50mm lens, those two things used together will get you pictures that everyone will agree "oh that's definitely not a smartphone.."

A quick snap with an entry-level DSLR + speedlight + 50mm lens:
31943104487_5b241dd256_o.jpg

light-modder

Enlightened
I really appreciate all of the responses I think we are going to play with lightning and her phone camera for a bit to see what happens.

Keitho

Enlightened
Best of luck, light-modder. Share some pics! Star Halo hit it on the nose; I'm another fan of "nifty" 50mm primes and Tony and Chelsea Northrup.