• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Malkoff Junkies: Assemble! M361 WARM P60 drop-in

nimdabew

Enlightened
My last thread got shut down, so I am making it again here. I am going to put in a batch order for M361 warm drop-ins, and since I don't need 10+ drop ins for myself, I figured that there might be enough interest here to collect a 10 drop-in order.

There aren't a whole lot of choice when it comes to the drop-in, but the biggest is the emitter type that we want to use. The current warm drop-ins are run off of a XP-G2 emitter at 3000k. I like the 80 lumen M61LL that I have for my G2, but it leaves a lot to be desired for CRI, and to my eyes, the beam looks fuzzy somehow. I can't describe it anymore. I would be fine with the G2 LED, but we do have a chance for using 219C @ 3000k if I buy the emitters from mtnelectronics and then send the order to Gene before he assembles the modules. I have never used a 219C @3000k so I don't know what it looks like, but the 4000k and 5000k examples in tripples that I have built are some of my favorite handheld lights in my collection.

I am figuring out how to do the payments (we may have a special code and a paypal address to send the cash to, or a link, or even just having me collect cash and then send the drop-ins to individuals after I get the batch order). I am probably going to pre-pay everything and then have them shipped from me to you after the order has been fulfilled.

Price: I am expecting these to be around $71 shipped to the CONUS. I asked Gene if we could do $61 a module, plus the cost of a Nichia 219C (if we decide to go that route), and shipping. Obviously, price is subject to change, but since Gene doesn't currently offer ANY 3 mode warm options, I would think the additional cost is negligible.

***EDIT***

Because I don't want this to be a multiple month long group buy, I am putting a hard stop at Feb 14th (24 days from the start) for orders for these modules. I will order a few extra for late comers, but it will be at a higher cost than the group buy since I am only planning on a certain number of total modules and I would have capital tied up in the drop-ins.

***IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST POST YOUR INTEREST BEFORE FEB 14th***

That is when I am going to be ordering the LEDs and when I am going to say to Gene to start doing his magic.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thank you to OP for (re)placing this in Group Buys.

Just a couple of points regarding the extra rules for this particular forum (excerpted from the sticky) ...

Participants typically post their interest in the thread and/or contact the seller via other methods.

A list of participants is maintained in a single post by the GB coordinator or other designated individual. This keeps the "post clutter" limited & cleaned up throughout the thread.

If you are a GB coordinator, you will be expected to conduct your GB within the parameters of these posted policies. You may NOT post a link in your GB or any other place referring forum members to a manufacturer or dealer website, or any other website in order to participate in the GB. As the GB coordinator, it is assumed all purchases will be made through you.

Also ... regarding my point from the prior thread, @Gene43 is welcome to briefly comment on this limited CPF custom run here, which would be considered informational (not as advertising or in a commercial sense)

Thank you, and good luck with the group buy.

nimdabew

Enlightened
Reserved

Interested parties so far:
1. nimdabew - N219C 3000K
2. marco.weiss - N219C 3000K - PAID.
3. marco.weiss - N219C 3000K - PAID.
4. marco.weiss - N219C 4000k - PAID.
5. thermal guy - N219C 3000K - PAID.
6. mckeand13 - N219C 3000K - PAID.
7. wacbzz - N219C 3000K - PAID.
8. Buck91 - N219C 3000K
9. Nimitz68 - N219C 3000K - PAID.
10. Bigburly912 - N219C 3000K - PAID.
11. bykfixer- either N219C 3000K - PAID.
12. bykfixer - either N219C 3000K - PAID.
13. lion504 - N219C 3000K
14. greatscoot - N219C 3000K - PAID.
15. greatscoot - N219C 4000K - PAID.
17. hron61 - N219C 3000K - PAID.
18. Stu - XP-G2 3000K - PAID.
19. Stu - XP-G2 3000K - PAID.
20. Stu - N219C 3000K - PAID.

Extras
N219C 3000K
1. marco.weiss - PAID.
2. Thermal Guy - PAID.

N219C 4000k
1. marco.weiss - PAID.
2. Johnnyh - PAID

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I've wanted to ask Gene if he was willing to make this for a long time.
I want to ask him if he would do a run of Li-ion MDC heads in 3000k.
I'm slightly on the fence, but I'm so so so totally tempted to say I'm all in...

We'll see how long I can hold out...

nimdabew

Enlightened
I am interested it this. Will they also be offered on the Malkoff site ?
I doubt it in the near future. I asked Gene if he would make these about 8 months ago, and he said he was tracking interest with no definitive yes/no and no date set in the future.

I've wanted to ask Gene if he was willing to make this for a long time.
I want to ask him if he would do a run of Li-ion MDC heads in 3000k.
I'm slightly on the fence, but I'm so so so totally tempted to say I'm all in...

We'll see how long I can hold out...
C'mon. You know you want to.

So does this mean we need 10 orders for the same emitter? Or will 10 participants be able to choose between XPG2 and 219C?
10 drop-in total. We may be able to mix and match. I will send Gene an email tonight.

nimdabew

Enlightened
I'm stupid with tint. How do these two emitters difffer?

Are you a Ford or Chevy guy? TBH, it is personal preference with what you want in an emitter. I haven't found a Nichia emitter I didn't like yet, bur ymmv. The XP-G2 I have is a nice emitter, but it doesn't quite provide the same sharpness that my Nichia emitters do. I have two N219B emitter lights and two N219C lights, and I like them all. Some people like the B more than the C for various reasons though.

As far as the Cree emitter, it tends.to have tint shift around the edges, doesn't seem as sharp when comparing it next to other types of emitters, and has a lower CRI. Nichia emitters have better of all of that stuff, but have lower output levels (no free lunch) and lower forward voltage. But, really, Ford of Chevvy?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interested! Thanks for doing this.:twothumbs

This is going to be exactly like the M361 drop-in that Malkoff sells on their site, just using a 3000k emitter instead of 4000k or 6300k.

Okay, I'll ask the first dumb question of the thread...with both the neutral and cool M361 dropins on the website, it lists the G2 as an acceptable host, but with a metal head. Will this module require the same? The max output on those two are 500 and 450 lumens respectively. Will this output be approximately the same? I'm just wondering if I need to start looking for a metal head for my G2 now...

nimdabew

Enlightened
I'm kind of partial to land rover 😀

Oh... You're fired :D

Interested! Thanks for doing this.:twothumbs

Okay, I'll ask the first dumb question of the thread...with both the neutral and cool M361 dropins on the website, it lists the G2 as an acceptable host, but with a metal head. Will this module require the same? The max output on those two are 500 and 450 lumens respectively. Will this output be approximately the same? I'm just wondering if I need to start looking for a metal head for my G2 now...

You can buy a 6P on fleabay for $42. I have been stocking up on 6P's for the last few months. I can't keep track how many I have now. I think it's right around 5 P60 hosts and I am looking at getting a few more too. I have a Tana dropping on the way to me too haha

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice on the 6P, but I want to stick to the nitrolon body. I was just wondering about the output from this 3K LED and whether it would need a metal head - like the current M361 lists as being needed on the G2 body.

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice on the 6P, but I want to stick to the nitrolon body. I was just wondering about the output from this 3K LED and whether it would need a metal head - like the current M361 lists as being needed on the G2 body.

I'm sure the current is the same, so the heat will be close to that of the XP-G2.