been car shoping grrr

raggie33

*the raggedier*
freind needed a car today .cause the people he bought last car never gave him tiitle so it was a rush search so well ya cant get good deals. looked alll day for a 400 dollors car. had to pay 500 for a frigin 92 geo prizim. there ok cars but lame they use toyota drive trains but a 92 should only be like 200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that one of one 3 cylinder wonders, or was it the Geo Metro? IIRC, one of the Geo models had a tiny 3-cylinder engine.

As far as the Toyota parts...that is probably a good thing since Japanese cars have historically KILLED American cars in reliability.

Those prices are low compared to what we pay in the Bay Area for similar cars. I hope the car works out well for your friend.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
no its a 4 cylinder 16 valve motor its a 4 door sedan has ok paint no dents

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in high school (Wow, am I that old already!) my friend had a Geo Metro complete with Superman sticker in the back. He was the first one to get a car so we went everywhere in that thing. It would vibrate at speeds over 50mph and you have to turn off the AC going up the freeway on ramp. Good times!

matt_j

Enlightened
I missread the post as "beer can shoping..."

Heh.

You know what I'm thinkign about.

Cheers.

Matt

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

As far as the Toyota parts...that is probably a good thing since Japanese cars have historically KILLED American cars in reliability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya that brings up a good point, three years ago the Corolla was named the #1 sub compact car by consumer report and the Prism was #3. They are the same car not close to the same, the same! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drive train was Toyota, the rest [for the most part] was GM. In other words, the rest of the vehicle will fall apart around the motor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Actually, my brother has one that still runs great after being hit from behind and pushed into the back of another vehicle. Starts up every time the key is turned. If the motor was taken care of, it should last near 200K miles.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
iirc the difference is the trim/badges.
whats funny is the toyota is assembled here and the geo ota is from japan!the late model nova is also a toyota.around here they are called toylet.
even funnier is a gm propaganda poster showing a similar toyota with the caption
toyota.from those nice people who brought you pearl harbor.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol we had this one over 70 miles a hour lol i wont say how much over due to the respect of the high leo memebrs we have here lol but lol it was betwen 70 and like 120.and it pured along and didnt drink gas but i usaly get a lot better deals guess the cheap cars are gone here it is btw
car.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If your friend got that car for $500 the ex owner got took!

Oh yeah, I guess it was long since paid for. Still he about gave it away.

I'd like to see you try and buy a car that looks that good and from the 90's for less than about $1,200 around here.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
All,
Ive learned this the hard way.
In New York there was a time you could 'buy' under the counter a 'no peek' inspection for about $50. My friends there tell me those days are gone.

In Virginia the State Police actually try and run sting operations on inspectors, so geting away with something is not an option any more.

It's also raised the price of used cars considerably.

My 89 1500 truck was about 2400. You get the idea. Your not just buying iron but your paying for value. The higher the number the less likely it has a major defect waiting to show up.

Why do you think im here in the Sand Box? Got to pay for my toys.

Later dudes
Jack Crow in Iraq

jpeg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
polak187 said:

Heh.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, THATS weird! I read it as "beer can shopping" too... I was wondering why the first post was all about a Geo prism... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Maybe we should start a new thread... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive bought cars that was way way under wholesale.im to picky to buy a new car however i do like the mazda protgeees there very well built and cheaper.honda is ok to but i prefare mazda

raggie33

*the raggedier*
the car was 440 the rest was title fees and other stuff.taxes to i belive.they wanted way more at first it was a draining day but realy any where that car should go for 200 check ya nada books or blackbooks never pay over wholesale

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
polak187 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. Yeah, I'm not sure you were that far off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol darel i spoke of ya when we was doinf paper work not by name of course. i was saying how i thought it was cool ya have a electric car and you run it off solar from house i think they thought i was lyeing lol