Why people purchase HDS flash lights...

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are over 300,000 members on Candlepowerforums. My guess is that less than 10 percent of them own an HDS flash light. I thought it may be a good idea for HDS Flash light owners to post briefly on CPF why they purchase and use HDS flash lights.

I started investigating better flash lights back in the year 2012 when I wanted more dependability and brightness than my Maglite flash lights offered. From 2012 through 2014 I found the CPF website and started purchasing better lights including brands like Fenix, Thrunite, Olight, and Maratac. The big driver for me was brightness, in terms of lumens, and low cost. During that time I learned about the $300 HDS light. I purchased my first HDS light in 2014 and have since purchased five (5) more HDS lights and rarely use any other flash light. Here is why:

Pros:
> Programmable
> Safety features - including battery warning indicator
> Dependable (made to work in Caves)
> High CRI led offerings make the light very special
> Compact size for everyday carry
> Built to last
> Creator, Henry, is a perfectionist
> Custom builds
> Made in USA
> Lifetime warranty
> People that purchase these flash lights know about flash lights
> Spectacular resale value and sell fast in resale market
> Really neat custom made holsters available

Cons:
> $300/flash light
> The HDS flash light delivers less than 400 lumens
> The HDS flash light does not throw light over 100 yards.
> When you purchase and use your first HDS flash light you will want several more of them
> Almost all of your non-HDS flash lights previously acquired with remain in a drawer rarely to be used again.

Robe

Enlightened
First and foremost, the UI is my favorite thing and the reason I've held it as my favorite. The design of the body is also nice, but there are a lot of good lights.

I'd value some more brightness, but it's never been insufficient for me, even at the lower 2700k special run output where the tint is my favorite led I've had.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 years ago they were state of the art and the highest quality build. Now they are time tested and proven; probably one of the best built lights you can get!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Rock solid light, tested for harsh use to give the owner confidence. Really is "The light that will get you home."
Also low lows, which is nice.

Croquette

Enlightened
I bought the first one by curiosity.
The other ones for all the pros you are mentionning.

They have a few cons, but not as much as the others.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 years ago they were state of the art and the highest quality build. Now they are time tested and proven; probably one of the best built lights you can get!

I didn't realize they have been around for so long. Were they pretty much the same exact lights?

God damn I've been trying not to grab one of these for fear of the addiction. Seems like I need to get one of these by years end.... I'd love a good rotary with a 219C.

Is there a setup that is "quintessential HDS"? OR perhaps, any good "standard recommendation"?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize they have been around for so long. Were they pretty much the same exact lights?

God damn I've been trying not to grab one of these for fear of the addiction. Seems like I need to get one of these by years end.... I'd love a good rotary with a 219C.

Is there a setup that is "quintessential HDS"? OR perhaps, any good "standard recommendation"?

Things have changed over the years.
Here is a list of the pioneering technologies that HDS developed... one of the many reasons I like them so much.

You can find the complete write-up on the HDS website here.

HDS Systems pioneered the following LED flashlight features:
  • Regulated output of 15 lumens - 1998
  • Synchronous rectification for improved efficiency - 1998
  • Multiple discrete brightnesses - 1998
  • Multilevel rotary dimmer control - 1998
  • Automatic brightness step reduction for dying battery - 1998
  • Extended emergency lighting - 1998
  • Visually even (logarithmic) brightness spacing - 1998
  • Intrinsically safe design and explosion-proof construction - 1998
  • Military type III hard anodize finish - 1998
  • Regulated output of 20 lumens - 1999
  • Tint control for lower brightnesses - 1999
  • Microprocessor-controlled constant current brightness control - 1999
  • Reverse battery protection without diode power penalty - 1999
  • Thermal regulation and management - 1999
  • Microprocessor-controlled constant power brightness control - 2000
  • Microprocessor-controlled multiphase buck/boost topology - 2001
  • Microprocessor-controlled simplified buck/boost topology - 2002
  • Protection for rechargeable batteries - 2002
  • Innovative multi-brightness single-button user interface - 2003
  • Programmable brightness settings - 2003
  • Calibrated brightness - 2003
  • Intelligent pocket light of 30 lumens - 2003
  • Automatic switch lockout and automatic shut-off - 2004
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 60 lumens - 2004
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 85 lumens - 2005
  • Disorienting strobe, emergency strobe and SOS assignable to presets - 2006
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 120 lumens - 2007
  • 1500:1 dynamic range (0.08 to 120 lumens) - 2007
  • 3-stage twisty switch - 2007
  • 100 lumens for 1 hour on a single CR123A battery - 2007
  • Fully automatic detection and protection of Li-ion batteries - 2007
  • Dual red/white output using single emitter - 2007
  • 10,000g impact tolerance - 2008
  • 120 lumens for 1 hour on a single CR123A battery - 2008
  • 2125:1 dynamic range (0.08 to 170 lumens) - 2008
  • Automatic burst mode for extended runtimes on maximum - 2008
  • 140 lumens for 1 hour on a single CR123A battery - 2009
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 200 lumens - 2009
  • 2500:1 dynamic range (0.08 to 200 lumens) - 2009
  • Networked multi-processor controller supporting advanced UIs - 2010
  • Customizable rotary dimmer control system - 2010
  • 2 hours runtime on High before dropping below 50% - 2011
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 250 lumens - 2014
  • 12,500:1 dynamic range (0.02 to 250 lumens) - 2014
  • Advanced tactical interface with rotary brightness control - 2014
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 325 lumens - 2015
  • 16,250:1 dynamic range (0.02 to 325 lumens) - 2015
  • High color rendering index of 93 typical at 200 lumens - 2015

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I would like to quickly mention regarding the less than 400 lumens and won't throw over 100 yards:
You may want to recheck or do some recon. I've actually walked it out... and unless Garmin was lying to me the Rotary 250 though it's low cri and dull trees are a bit difficult to see details... you "can" still see the trees at .09 miles which is 452ft=152 yrds=144.8 Meters which actually matches another light I have with a similar size/shape reflector at 425 lumens. That in itself is very impressive however the 200 lumen lights don't that I ve seen don't reach that far.
My point is lumens is just a number even though I admit I m a throw hog... I have to give HDS high credit on this one and I m not easily impressed.

I bought my first one second hand. Rs 200 rotary. I was so impressed at the build quality... like a tank. Rotary was pretty damn cool for me... I had a decent paying job then which gave me more money than brains and I got hooked spent wastefully but quickly bought a few more including the Clicky UI, my RS started this random flashing which was an error code and Henry fixed it. I learned quickly though at a high cost and being in the uk these things weren't easy to get... along with everything else we have in the USA. Even now folks don't get it, and they really don't care how good the light is when they find out how much was it.

All it takes is 1 bite and you'll be converted!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo, just curious and I can't remember if I ve asked before... will it survive EMP attack?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things have changed over the years.
Here is a list of the pioneering technologies that HDS developed... one of the many reasons I like them so much.

You can find the complete write-up on the HDS website here.

Very awesome, thanks for the reply, I didn't see that part of your site upon my perusing. Your talk elsewhere of possible 219Bs in the aluminum lights has all of my attention. I'd be all over that, if it ever comes to fruition.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
I had been contemplating a HDS for over a decade, maybe closer to 12-13 years, I tend to buy and use for years, and use hard. I lurked here for 15 years before finally joining CPF, and my current stable was getting long in the tooth, so that pushed me over the edge. I view HDS like I do my quality knives, higher end musical instruments, pianos, and camera lenses. You get build quality, proper design, and correct tool for the job, with a tool designed to be used, with subtle improvements important to the end user of that tool.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo, just curious and I can't remember if I ve asked before... will it survive EMP attack?

Yes. It is EMP proof... but you will probably have more serious things to worry about if an EMP or X class solar flare happens... but your HDS is something you won't have to worry about.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cool little light with tons of tech no doubt but the con of the cost is its biggest knock imo. I found that 1/2 the time I would take a lesser light instead because it was more practical. Night kayaking around the city a mini maglite was my go to as dropping it to the bottom of the east river would only be $20 hit vs a $300 one. There was a time when hds had lights for $99...they were the best bang for your buck by a mile.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cool little light with tons of tech no doubt but the con of the cost is its biggest knock imo. I found that 1/2 the time I would take a lesser light instead because it was more practical. Night kayaking around the city a mini maglite was my go to as dropping it to the bottom of the east river would only be $20 hit vs a $300 one. There was a time when hds had lights for $99...they were the best bang for your buck by a mile.
I lived on the upper east side of manhattan for 14 years. No way would you catch me at night in a kayak in the east or Hudson River with only a $20 Chinese light. Dropping a $300 light in the river would be the least of my concerns.

For this task I would absolutely use an HDS light with an 18650 battery tube and have it securely strapped to my helmet. I use that same strap for my bicycle helmet for predawn riding. My helmet would be strapped to my head. In an emergency, the harbor rescue team would then be able to fish me out of the river because my HDS light would be working to give them my position.

Last edited:

mcm308

Enlightened
I been around here a long time. Never bought an HDS. I did have the opportunity to try the rotary on the pass around. I liked it a lot. But honestly, I cant justify 3-400 to buy one when my old Surefire is just as reliable.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I resisted HDS for some years because I thought I could do better elsewhere. Finally, the CPF community succeeded in wearing me down. There's something about the feel. The HDS excels every category of flashaholism. Since I've had them, I've thought of selling every non-hds light in my collection. Haven't quite followed through with that, but it seems realistic.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been eyeing HDS for many years- I should have gotten one when it was $99- but I was too frugal. When the rotary came out, I liked what I saw but what held me back was the size compared to other CR123 sized lights- it seemed huge in pictures, the price and the terrible low lumens.

Then I got in on the passaround that Hogo did for his clicky.

While it is bigger, I realized the pictures made it look bigger than it was (insert joke here) it was more comfortable in hand than my other cr123 lights and the heft isn't that big of a difference.
As for the pitiful lumen output, in real usage it matched up against my other lights that were rated a couple of hundred lumens brighter. Of course, I would like more lumens even if I don't need them- I am after all an unrepentant flashaholic.
Onto the price, I like buying quality over quantity and HDS is quality but Henry and Hogo did something to the lights that make them quantitate and muliplicate (neologisms were placed and grammar was forgone for my bad pun)

While I had the clicky, I realized it was nice but the Rotary would be nicer, when a 3 O'clock high went for sale, I bought it and soon after bought my 18650 4500k. The UI of the Rotary sets it high above other interfaces and quickly became my favorite light to carry and use. I am eyeing another HDS but the ultimatum was handed down to first get rid of the lights that I don't use.

A current negative is I have only 2 HDS lights and 5 holsters and that is just some kind of wrong!

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here !

lovecpf

But I prefer AA battery flashlights.

Sos24

Enlightened
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I tried many different qualities, but never really found "the one". I had seen HDS discussed a lot, but wasn't sure I wanted to pay the price especially for a light that wasn't as high in lumens as many of the other. Then I started researching it and really liked everything I read. When I finally got my first one, I fell in love and that was before I had even experimented with the programming.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]The thing I love first and foremost is the rotary UI, which is the best imho. It is even better than other rotary ring lights[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I can have a bright light or a dim light, along with several levels in between. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]There are other nice attributes that I really like as well[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]- can set to turn on at whatever level you want and that level can be changed while off[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]- momentary on[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]- Choose from a few different strobes that are easily accessed, but are not going to be inadvertently turned on when not wanted
- the low battery indication, rather than just shutting off like some lights
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]- can use rechargeables[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]- locator flash is nice for quickly locating light[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]- can tail stand with flush button[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]