I think I just looked at a 1 watt UV light

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
A UV light came in the mail from darksucks. I didnt realize the battery was already inserted into the light. Without realizing it didnt have a button, I turned the cap and I may have looked into the LED. After a few moments, my eyes are starting to feel heavy and they feel a little strange. Should I expect blindness at any moment or wake up in the morning unable to see? Starting to become increasingly worried.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah. Just placebo. Tanning beds wont blind you in seconds, nor does welding or looking at the sun ;)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I strongly recommend you immediately seek out a strong craft beer and hearty food with some habanero pepper sauce. Not for any disorder, I just generally recommend it..

Every pair of car headlights you drive by at night are ~55 watts, you should be fine.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all! I'll report any additional effects if it progresses, at least... for science!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever gone blind from glancing at the sun? Ever had somebody welding near you and accidentally looked at? Ever looked at sparklers? There won't be any additional effects, unless you conjure them up by worrying about it. You'll be fine.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Perhaps the UV radiation will cause you to develop "adult supervision"
Imagine the things you'll see with "adult supervision"

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I have your flashlights? You won't be needing them any more.

All kidding aside you should be all right. The effects will depend on the wavelength and power output, is it UVA, UCB, or UVC? A flashlight based emitter will most likely not have the power output to cause instantaneous retinal damage. If you feel like you have sand in your eyes that should pass in about 24 hours. That is welders flash which is caused by UV exposure. I am not a doctor, so if you do have symptoms of eye injury seek medical attentions right away.

kelmo

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly the dark sucks lights or Prometheus uses 365 nm uv and yes it will damage your eyes if its putting out enough power.
If you only looked a few seconds I wouldn't worry unless you still feel strange or other effects. If you're really concerned see an optician. 1 thing I will mention is you want to put a filter on that light if it doesn't already have one.
1 is woods lens it looks black but what it does is filters out part of the light but allows to part through that fluoresces objects.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I woke up with normal vision and eyes not hurting as much so I'm glad. Thanks for your responses all!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I woke up with normal vision and eyes not hurting as much so I'm glad. Thanks for your responses all!

Your eyes were hurting? I missed that bit. I guess I don't have to say don't do that again🤔seriously though you need to do some proper research and not just what everyone tells you. Some are correct, some are not, many don't actually know as they haven't done research but this is something you can't take for granted. Look up that black lens I mentioned and know exactly what wavelength is being put out.
While it's true our eyes as humans are resistant to uv as in natural light from the sun many will have you think you are protecting your eyes by buying sunglasses which is marketing bs. On the other hand something that is concentrated like artificial light or uv devices, lasers etc have very real dangers and it's better to be safe than sorry. You only get 1 set of eyes.
Blue light (that's invisible to us) is another one but I won't go into that.
Just glad you're ok.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it's true our eyes as humans are resistant to uv as in natural light from the sun many will have you think you are protecting your eyes by buying sunglasses which is marketing bs.
Marketing bs? Do some research:sssh: Being snow blind is no fun. Snow googles or sunglasses are a important item to bring for longer skiing trips here in the arctic. Unless you want to get snow blind, and get a helicopter ride down from the mountains. :whistle: