Anyone else hear a high pitched whine from their fenix uc35 v2?

uuuu

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a fenix uc35 v2 recently... great, BRIGHT little light. But on any of the medium three dimming levels, it emits a very high pitched whine like the old CRT TVs used to do, around 16KHz. I can hear it across the room, and it's pretty obnoxious. I emailed support and they said it wasn't normal and sent me a replacement, but the replacement does the same thing.

Seems unlikely that I'd get two bad units in a row, so I just wanted to see if anyone else owned one and if it makes the same noise?

Dw9D3oX.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
I think it's called inductor whine. It's one of the components on the circuit board if I remember correctly. It's not uncommon in a variety of lights.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only heard it from one of my lights: a 4sevens Quark. It's annoying, but I don't think it causes any problems. My hearing isn't that great, though, so perhaps it's more common than I think (just higher in frequency).

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like I've had that before on lights, but so infrequently that I can't remember which one. And not loud like you are talking about. I think I thought I heard something once holding one up to my ear. But I definitely have experienced this with other electronics. I remember this with old CRT TVs. When I was younger I thought I had a superpower because I could hear that and my Dad couldn't haha.

On your UC35 V2 does this only happen on a certain mode? I have to say the new Fenix lights with brass buttons look so nice. Stinks to hear if inductor whine is a thing on certain lights. We'll have to see.

uuuu

Newly Enlightened
On your UC35 V2 does this only happen on a certain mode?

Yeah it's most noticeable in the middle 3 modes (out of 5). I wouldn't mind it so much if it was only when I hold it to my ear, but it's actually pretty loud.

I guess it's good to know my hearing is still good... :sssh:

uuuu

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, thanks. I'm vaguely familiar with the concept in other electronic devices but I own a bunch of Fenix lights and have had the issue before... :shrug:

I wish it didn't bother me so much. I love the light otherwise. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar lights from other brands that don't whine? Specifically something usb rechargeable and 1000+ lumen.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that light by chance use PWM on any modes? I wonder if that's at all related to the whine at all if so?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My old Fenix TK 20 wines is so loud I can use it as a locator beacon. Some of my old HDS do this as well

Frijid

Enlightened
I had a black and decker 4aa spotlight I bought at Wal-Mart years ago that whined like that. I did it in one mode but not the other, I can't remember if it was the high or low. Did it for the 5 or so years I had it with eneloops and I used it often until I gave it away.

tom-

Enlightened
So 'potted' electronics are less likely to -whine- huh, ok I'll bite-there wouldn't be a maker of led flashlights that pots their electronics would there?