Garmin GPSMAP64S or GPSMAP66S?

nimdabew

Enlightened
Hello everyone. I have been in the market for a GPS handheld that I will be using for hiking, ATVing, and also Search And Rescue. I want to get a 64S or a 66S since they just came out, but I don't know if double the cost of a 64S is worth it for the updated, latest model.

Does anyone have any insight on the difference between the two GPS units? The 66s is just an updated version of the 64s, but I love the idea of future proofing my gear.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I have been happy with my Garmin 62S which is the predecessor to the 64S. It has always been very accurate and I have never had no signal. It always works and gets me to where in am going. The only downside for me is the small screen. If I were to buy one today I would go with the Oregon for the bigger screen.

When it comes to maps there is some fine detail to be aware of:

1. Only the "T" models come with Topo maps.

2. The "T" model Garmin comes with 1:100k maps and the cost is typically $100 more for the maps.

3. You can buy the Garmin maps separately for your region for $99.00 but they are much more detailed as they are 1:24k.

You can get free Topo maps at GPSFileDepot. They also have many overlays as well for trailsystems and such. I use these on mine and they work great. They are "non-routable" maps.

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

You can also add some more hunting and other icons here:

https://gpsmapsmontana.com/shop/custom-waypoint-symbols/

You can also modify your startup screen with a short message. I set mine to display my name and phone number in the event I lose it.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/display-number-garmin.html

Bob

nimdabew

Enlightened
I have been very satisfied with the Garmin GPSMAP64st, but do not know anything about the 66s
My friend had a 64 base model and he said he loved it. A few months ago, right before spending all my GPS money on flashlights, I was wondering why Garmin didn't release a newer, updated version of the 64 and now they have. I am trying to justify buying the 66 at twice the price vs getting the older model for $215 and using the rest of the cash on some other SAR stuff instead, like an off-road helmet for the ATV group.

Actually, when I put it that way, I think that is exactly what I am going to do.

I have been happy with my Garmin 62S which is the predecessor to the 64S. It has always been very accurate and I have never had no signal. It always works and gets me to where in am going. The only downside for me is the small screen. If I were to buy one today I would go with the Oregon for the bigger screen.

When it comes to maps there is some fine detail to be aware of:

1. Only the "T" models come with Topo maps.

2. The "T" model Garmin comes with 1:100k maps and the cost is typically $100 more for the maps.

3. You can buy the Garmin maps separately for your region for $99.00 but they are much more detailed as they are 1:24k.

You can get free Topo maps at GPSFileDepot. They also have many overlays as well for trailsystems and such. I use these on mine and they work great. They are "non-routable" maps.

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

You can also add some more hunting and other icons here:

https://gpsmapsmontana.com/shop/custom-waypoint-symbols/

You can also modify your startup screen with a short message. I set mine to display my name and phone number in the event I lose it.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/display-number-garmin.html

Bob

I knew about the topo maps. The 64S I can find on Amazon for $215ish, but since the 66S is so new, all places are still selling them at MSRP of $400.

archimedes

Flashaholic
What is supposed to be better about it ?

EDIT ... looks like free satellite images is the main difference :shrug:

EDIT(2) ... don't think I want wireless or Bluetooth, either, just unnecessary battery drain for me.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to use devices at the minimum that will be really used. If there is a feature I will enjoy only while reading the manual right after unboxing... Perhaps, I don't need it.

For example, I have purchased a GPSMAPS 64 for my beloved wifie and it is more than enough. She is a passionate mushroom hunter :) When I tried to introduce her all those nice features she told: "Stop this. All I need is the ability to return to our vehicle in a dense forest." :)

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
What is supposed to be better about it ?

EDIT ... looks like free satellite images is the main difference :shrug:

EDIT(2) ... don't think I want wireless or Bluetooth, either, just unnecessary battery drain for me.

I use them to share waypoints with friends when I am hunting.

Bob

nimdabew

Enlightened
I have been very satisfied with the Garmin GPSMAP64st, but do not know anything about the 66s

Not handy, but I can probably take one and post it. Maybe tomorrow ?

Any info would be great. I can't visualize the GPS in the CP-L or their newer radio pouch because I don't have either in front of me. But, I do know the GPS will be on my pack strap and not on the pack itself.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
In looking at the specifications the only difference that is likely to be important is the display. The 64S has 2.6 inch 160x240 display, the 66S has a 3 inch 240x400 display, so the 66s display can show a lot more detail. The 66S has 16gb of memory for maps and tracks, the 64S has 4Gb, I seriously doubt that you are ever likely to need more than the 4gb offered on the 64S. The larger memory means more maps, track/way points and more tracks can be saved, but I doubt that the difference between 5000 and 10,000 points or 200 and 250 routes is going to be meaningful. At least from my perspective is all revolves around the differences in the display, which has almost 3 times as many pixels in the 66S. If all you plan on using it for is hiking, then you aren't going to be moving very fast, so you can always zoom in the display to get the resolution you need. If you are moving a lot faster, then you might be moving off the display so quickly that the reduced number of pixels might be a problem. In your intended application, all the extra cost buys you that is of any use is the upgraded display, and the actual value of that feature in your application is something only you can answer.

archimedes

Flashaholic
RemFPLs.jpg

Most of these models include a microSD card slot for expandable onboard memory, so storage space is unlikely to present any practical limitation.

Looking at photos of the 66 series online, it seems that the expanded display comes at the expense of perhaps crowding all of the buttons closer at the base of the unit, compared to the 64 series.

While the larger display and better resolution would be nice, I'm not sure it would be a worthwhile tradeoff, if the buttons are more difficult to use easily (such as while wearing gloves)

nimdabew

Enlightened

RemFPLs.jpg

Most of these models include a microSD card slot for expandable onboard memory, so storage space is unlikely to present any practical limitation.

Looking at photos of the 66 series online, it seems that the expanded display comes at the expense of perhaps crowding all of the buttons closer at the base of the unit, compared to the 64 series.

While the larger display and better resolution would be nice, I'm not sure it would be a worthwhile tradeoff, if the buttons are more difficult to use easily (such as while wearing gloves)

I think I know what I am going to do. I will just work some overtime, not buy a flashlight for a few months, and get the 66S. I will be using the GPS with a 4 wheeler too since I am going to be part of the ATV team. I didn't think about the moving and reading a GPS while on a moving vehicle.

This page with it's weird half/half picture made me think about it again.

https://blog.ja-gps.com.au/2018/10/gpsmap-66s-vs-gpsmap-64s-australian-release-and-review/

nimdabew

Enlightened
I ended up playing with both GPS units today at Cabela's. The 66S screen was nice, but both units behaved similar enough to where I couldn't tell the difference between then. I am going to get the 64S. The 64 felt better in my hand too.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up playing with both GPS units today at Cabela's. The 66S screen was nice, but both units behaved similar enough to where I couldn't tell the difference between then. I am going to get the 64S. The 64 felt better in my hand too.

Yeah, looks that Garmin repeats mobile phone manufacturers' ill practice when almost all phones are not mobile phones, but shovels.