Hobo stoves used as campfires.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I really like twig stoves to cook food and boil water but they have another use. These stoves can make for nice low impact, clean burning scout/small campfires. Sets up faster than a fire ring and leaves less trace for times when discretion is the better part of valor. Lets go for a walk.

yFOBQ47.jpg

This bark looks good.

CUq186f.jpg

Some punky wood.

cdtPbqv.jpg

Yellow Birch, Oak and Tulip Poplar bark.

wee409G.jpg

The type of hobo/twig stove I employ for this task are usually larger. The reason being these can produce longer burn times and have enough flames to illuminate the camp and provide some area heat which is why people make a camp fire. Also driving away bugs but that's not an issue here.

Left to right: Solo stove campfire, Firebox original and Core 5 setup in simplest configuration.

ZAM1oLx.jpg

Core 5. Very UL. Around 8 oz. https://shop.mysurvivalpack.com/core-5-ultralight-titanium

IXsWxDt.jpg

Firebox original. 2 lbs. https://www.fireboxstove.com/5​-g2-firebox/5-inch-folding-firebox

UPi8hKe.jpg

Lets start with the Solo stove campfire. https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-campfire/

0VLtDhw.jpg

I am going to ignite this wood gas stove from the top however it's larger firebox allows for the addition of fuel without smothering the gasification. Also it works well if ignited from the bottom like a traditional hobo stove.

9tSaEdX.jpg

Birch bark and a Bic. Found the Yellow Birch maybe 10 feet from day camp.

OERgFLH.jpg

Big flames with little or no smoke are all pros of a larger wood gas stove. Cooking the sacred bacon and getting warm at the same time.

Aw641vP.jpg

zLKP55o.jpg

483zXku.jpg

CHMH5K4.jpg

OrGEf2J.jpg

gL4pHzW.jpg

As the wood gas stove burned down to ash used the last bit of heat to dry out fluffed up barks. Going to use the Core 5 next.

e9h7Lzq.jpg

I intended to use traditional flint and steel with charred bark to ignite the stove however realized I didn't have a rock in my traditional fire kit. It was removed when testing a Titanium striker. One of the pros to traditional methods is natural materials are replaceable. There is a brook right behind daycamp. I employed my finest flint knapping skills on some brook quartz.

kIhc4Vk.jpg

HtOcTdW.jpg

A hit!

WkWsYOE.jpg

Behold! My new flint rock aka quartz. Used my REI CO-OP dividend points!

D6Kxbaz.jpg

CeKBx8h.jpg

Tossed some good sparks. The second pic is the moment of ignition.

Y9gPHpI.jpg

pB3GBKh.jpg

With a pile of natural charred materials time is on my side. Let it smolder as got the stove ready.

hPWbavO.jpg

Fire. The Core 5 can be fueled though the bottom.

pCzOxVJ.jpg

It was getting dark and still had some miles to go so didn't use the Firebox stove this time. It's a good stove however. The pros of campfire usage for twig stoves are fast setup and low impact. Additionally wood burning stoves use very little fuel. I think they make for nice little scout/camp fires.

kzy7ySm.jpg

Here is an overly long video. Hold on... Aw 12 minutes isn't so bad. Thanks for looking.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
My father has the solo stove fire pit (used to be the largest model before the Yukon). It's a thing of beauty relative to every other fire pit, outdoor fireplace, etc I've ever used. Starts fast and easy without finicky engineering of the fire beforehand. Burns hot and clean - little ash and markedly less smoke. I don't camp or hike, but I've contemplated one just to have - one of the smaller ones - as a micro fire pit at my house as well as for emergency preparedness.

eart

Newly Enlightened
Lovely post, thanks.

I just got a micro (?) Lixada stove that fold flat is the size of a large phone (but somewhat slimmer). I've done a backyard trial, but looking forward to getting out on the trail with it.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
My father has the solo stove fire pit (used to be the largest model before the Yukon). It's a thing of beauty relative to every other fire pit, outdoor fireplace, etc I've ever used. Starts fast and easy without finicky engineering of the fire beforehand. Burns hot and clean - little ash and markedly less smoke. I don't camp or hike, but I've contemplated one just to have - one of the smaller ones - as a micro fire pit at my house as well as for emergency preparedness.

I have been looking at that or the smaller ranger.

Sos24

Enlightened
Nice post. I have both the Solo stove lite and a Bushbox UL. The bushbox is rather small but the Solo stove does make a nice little camp fire.

JackSun

Newly Enlightened
(Admin note: No need to quote all of the original photos. I have removed them from your post. ~Greta)

Wow! Cool photos and videos! Subscribed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Great topic, though I don't think those qualify as hobo stoves due to their costs involved. Would love to see how an aluminum, modified coffee can performs against those.