What is your HDS backup light?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I was thinking (it's rare, but it does happen) what is your backup light to your HDS?
Why would I put this here... here in the HDS section... because, quite simply, you folks have discerning taste.

My personal backup to my HDS is another HDS, but then the backup to that backup has changed over the years as seen below. Let me know what light and why that particular light.

This is your chance to make Hogo spend money on lights instead of vice versa.

img-3141.jpg

Last edited:

Rasher

Enlightened
Another HDS, or a small Muyshondt. Only lights at this point I'd trust in a critical situation.

PS - your "friend" should have had his aged package arrive today.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm intentionally going into the darkness:

Primary: Malkoff Hound Dog XML

Secondary: Malkoff Hound Dog 18650

Tertiary: HDS high CRI Executive (5000K)

Quaternary: HDS high CRI Executive (4500K)

Quinary: HDS high CRI Executive (4000K)

Senary: Sofirn C01 (3200K)

Plus batteries for each. It's possible that I'll have spare Malkoff tail caps as well. Maybe an MD2 in the car.

I'm sick. Bonus points, though, for including Tolkien in your photo.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another HDS, or a small Muyshondt. Only lights at this point I'd trust in a critical situation.

PS - your "friend" should have had his aged package arrive today.

I'll pick it up Monday when I'm at HDS! My friend thanks you!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a Nichia Peak Eiger in the pocket of my fleece jacket. It has an Eneloop in there but never gets used except to make sure it's still working. Nice floody beam and it will run the cell down to zero in a pinch.
P

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
+1 for the Prometheus Beta. Excellent beam pattern and color rendering along with plenty of power for most tasks. I particularly prefer my V.1 Beta because it uses the Swiss style disconnect which is longer than the Kappa style disconnect on the V.2 but even more secure in my opinion plus my V.1 Beta has no PWM on its low mode. There's something kind of nice about no mode memory that always comes on in low, and with only 2 brightness settings, you always know what you're going to get when you switch modes- whichever mode you aren't using.
The weakness is no true low low since the low setting is 15 lumens.

I would say the Muyshondt Aeon MK III looks good, but I'm not a fan of the fact it isn't designed around rechargeable batteries, and I don't actually own one, so I can't speak from experience. I just love how tiny it is.

A McGizmo Mule would compliment an HDS well, but the HDS flood reflectors kinda got that covered...

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Either an Old School Peak Matterhorn, or it's Fenix counterpart, the E01. Potted, twisty 10 lumens, and I've torture tested E01's hard enough personally that my Clicky even blushes. Easier to do to a $10.00 light... :)

I have in the past carried an Olight or Foursevens MkII Mini as a spare battery carrier that happens to have a LED at one end, but find the output and runtime of the E01 sufficient as backup.

This assumes I'm out on the town, walking the dogs at night, etc and not carrying a bag either on my person or in my truck, either one would have something with a bit more oomph. Elzetta Bravo AVS in the truck, (takes same cells as the HDS)and an 18650 Clicky lives in my small Maxpedition bag that sometimes finds it's way with me.

Last edited:

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't consider my 2nd light as a backup. I use both to conpliment each other. Weekdays I carry a Surefire Z2 with customlites dropin and one of my HDS lights, typically the 18650 executive. Usually have another surefire or Peak Logan in the car or my bag too. Weekends and evenings I usually go with the dual HDS setup. 18650 clicky in my pocket and a rotary 123a of some kind on my belt. I just picked up the 17670 120xpg hi cri. That will probably be my weekend pocket carry from now on. I carry one light with primaries and the other with rechargable cells. I have spares of the primary cells on me. I wouldn`t mind picking up a hicri Peak Logan though.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a HDS light and a few HDS back-ups just in case. Aside from that I always carry a Maratac AAA Nichia in my pocket. I carry this light because it is really small, has three speeds, and because of its size I can carry it all the time.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have a Thrunite Ti3 on a suspension clip in my left front pocket.
I usually have a Fenix e12 in my coin pocket (assuming I'm wearing jeans).

I will occasionally clip a Streamlight polytac or p60 host with malkoff drop-in to my belt if I am anticipating being outside in the dark using a flashlight for a while or with a group of people.

That sounds like a lot of lights to carry in addition to my HDS...clearly I have a sickness.

--flatline

archimedes

Flashaholic
Pleased (maybe a bit surprised) to see so many Peak posts here ... rarely seem to get mentioned much elsewhere on CPF these days, other than by me :)

A steel Eiger was my main EDC backup for many years, and I still use an Eiger + Logan as dual backup lights when I travel.

Currently have been carrying a UniVex AAA for general day to day use ... because Ti. It is not as absurdly reliable as the Peak though, because clicky.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Frelux Synergy1 as a backup. Common easily found AAA, 2 cells so you have respectable runtime, small enough to fit in your 5th jeans pocket (coin pocket) and also slim enough for backpocket carry

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My backup to my HDS140 is a HDS old school basic 42 never know when I'll be stuck in a cave for 30-45 days and that has the low to be able to do that. But there backup is either a lumitop AAA copper tool or a Fenix AAA.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two lights I always have on me are an HDS rotary and a Lumintop Tool Nichia 219. There's nothing particularly great about the Tool, but it is cheap, has nice tint and CRI, and thus far has been reliable. It might end up being replaced by an Optisolis equipped Jetbeam Jet-mu once it arrives.

If I anticipate using a light for an extended amount of time I'll also grab my OR BOSS 219C, Malkoff MDC Neutral, or recently D25Cvn SST20 95CRI for my other pocket. If long throw is needed I'll grab a PFlexPro P60 light, Malkoff Hound Dog, or Emisar D1.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I really like the Frelux Synergy1 as a backup. Common easily found AAA, 2 cells so you have respectable runtime, small enough to fit in your 5th jeans pocket (coin pocket) and also slim enough for backpocket carry

It is my backup as well. After trying it out through a pass-around I was so impressed with the design I ordered one. I was very fortunate to land a second one with an Al-bronze mid section and a 219b R9080 4k emitter and that's become my constant companion. For me, it's the perfect little brother to the HDS...or all the reasons stated by Ozy but also because it's USA made by a company that takes customer care and feedback seriously...just like HDS!

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS light is a HDS Backup light, and the backup light has a HDS backup backup light. The HDS backup backup light has a HDS backup backup backup light... (could go on with this story until the HDS backup backup backup backup backup backup…. light) ….. But long Story short. If I run out of working HDS light I use my Surefire Lights... and if all this Lights do not work anymore I have a few lighters and original 100CRI candles.