Eton FR-200 questions

alank2

Newly Enlightened
I picked one of these up at Goodwill for $15 and cranking it a bit will get the radio working for minute or so. Works great on batteries. I pulled the 2/3 AA NiMH battery pack (3 cells) and it says 600mAH and it was dead. I tried charging it a bit at C/10 with a bench power supply without any luck. Still less than 1V for the entire pack.

I was thinking - perhaps if I used some low discharge eneloops in the main battery compartment and swapped the leads so that they are the "battery pack" and could be charged from the and crank too.

Has anyone else done mods for this radio?

PJ

Enlightened
A replacement battery for a cordless home phone might work. I found one at Radio Shack during their closing that look to be the same size and mAh rating. The only thing different was the connector which you should be able to splice from the dead one. My radio is the American Red Cross version, I'm not sure of the model no.
Maybe Amazon or Ebay have them or if you have a local electronics store ( I think they still exist) bring it with you and try to match it up.

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked one of these up at Goodwill for $15 and cranking it a bit will get the radio working for minute or so. Works great on batteries. I pulled the 2/3 AA NiMH battery pack (3 cells) and it says 600mAH and it was dead. I tried charging it a bit at C/10 with a bench power supply without any luck. Still less than 1V for the entire pack.

I was thinking - perhaps if I used some low discharge eneloops in the main battery compartment and swapped the leads so that they are the "battery pack" and could be charged from the and crank too.

Has anyone else done mods for this radio?

I have the GR-88 which is the Tecsun version of your Eton FR-200 radio. I have never done the mod but sounds interesting. If it doesn't work then take a look at the link below to Amazon, this looks anyway to be the same battery that is in the GR-88 with a little more power.

Kastar 2-PACK 2/3AA 3.6V 800mAh 5264 Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery

alank2

Newly Enlightened
That is pretty cheap for a pair of them and pretty tempting to avoid taking the radio part and modding it. Part of me wonders though how eneloops would work with the crank so I am tempted to try that too. Thanks!