sf m2 vs m3

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to see if I could get some advice...Love the M2 I have but it's a little small. Like the runtime with the kl 3 head...but want something bigger. Do I go with the kl 5 for the m2, or go for the m3 with the kl 2? I would buy them all if I could but wife didn't like the idea of £90 on the m2. Not that I need something big and bad, but since I am in security at a trucking depot, as well as using it around the house, I like all the versatility I can get with 1 light...can't afford many. But how does the runtime and brightness compare between the two, and how comfortable is the m3 to hold (m2 is a little small and rubber gets in the way). Any advice on this or going for a more advanced led light from surefire would be most appreciated.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF Steve!

It sounds like you'd like the L6 which is the LED version of the M3 (KL6 on the M3 body with new Z58 Clickie TailCap)

The KL2 has 19 5mm LEDs and produces a close range wide beam of light. The KL6 has a single 5W Luxeon LED that produces a beam light like the M2 but obviously far whiter light with regulated output and a longer runtime.

The advantage of the L6 is that you can get the M3 and Millennium TurboHead bezels for it - these are tough and very bright.

I find the M3 is one of the best flashlights to hold in a variety of grips. I really like the adjustable CombatGrip rings (you can remove them all if you want).

You should consider how you are going to carry the L6 or M3 though since I figure it's best in a belt pouch...

I'm at work at the moment. I'll reply again with more details and some photos. If you don't mind me asking, where in the UK are you? I'm in Hertfordshire.

Al

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, usdiver.

Ditto everything Al said. He's an expert on things Surefire.

Britt

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback as I find it hard to get info on these things sometimes, especially over here...not anyone I know of into these things. My brother is in San Antonio...small world isn't it?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Al...thanks for the information...meant to get back to you sooner but sometime hard to find time for the net. I am in hoddesdon herts, and previously from northeast arkansas (around Paragould, Jonesboro) in the us. been here over year and a half now, do security for one of the sainsbury's depots. Got the m2 not long ago, but it's just not big enough...and don't want a BIG one like the m6. The m2 is great but just not enough. What is the z58? I'm getting the z48 and have a v73 holster but can get a nice belt pouch holster from outdoorsuppliesuk.com Are you familiar with that site? Loads of surefire but not all the new stuff as of yet...and best prices in the uk that I know of. So the kl 6...can you get it with the m3 or have to buy it seperate? Do you know what the runtimes are with the kl 6 and the kl 2? Is it possible to use the traffic cone and covers with these heads?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The easiest way of getting a KL6 is to get the whole L6.

The Z58 is kinda like the compact version of the Z48 Clickie TailCap. It's also easiest to get the Z58 as part of the L6 or L5.

The red traffic cone for the M3/KL6 bezel is the F38.

There is no SureFire belt pouch listed for the L6 since it's longer than the M3.

I've heard of ODS but not used him.

Al

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the L6 pictured in last years catalog? It is the same exact m3 body? I've seen the l1 and l4 but not keen on those. I have that one but not the new one...Not seen the z58 but like the sfsw02 as well as the 48. ODS is Joseph Echols...and he says his prices won't be beaten...if you haven't seen the website...might be useful, for it is not just torches but loads of stuff. Do you have pics of the l6 and that?

Size15's

Flashaholic
This is the M3 and the L6:
al-l61.jpg

The Z58 Clickie TailCap is on the L6

This is the L5 & M2 and the L4 & E2e:
L5a.jpg

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Another alternative is the C3-HA. You can swap bezels, putting the M2's shock isolated bezel and accessories on the C3-HA.

Something I have done with the C2 (same size as the M2, except the bezel), is replace the long pocket clip with the short one. Makes it easier to hold. Then you can also use the normal lanyard ring too.

Al thinks the C3 is ugly. I think it's utilitarian. I have two C3-HA's with M2 bezels. One has the P90 and the other has the P91. I also added the second o-ring (19-01-077) to the tail end of all my C2's and C3's, same as the M2, M3 and M4.

oldgrandpajack

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey usdiver, our fellow CPFer, kj, from Tokyo, has a nice page with runtimes plotted for the L6 in 3x123 and 6x123 (M6 body) here:

KJ's L6 info

Britt

PS: The CPF Reviews Forum is a good place to haunt for technical information on flashlights.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I like the m3/l6...think I'll go for that but will have to sell my m2 first. Only thing I'm not sure about is the rubber...Much time has been spent on this as I like the m4 as well but don't really want to be going through that many batteries. The c3 would be a good choice I think cost wise, but to be honest I don't think I'd be happy with it. Don't like the way it looks, plus I would like later to get the turbo head and other stuff for the m3. Only other choice would be one of the weapon lights with the hardware taken off like maybe a 9 volt (3 cell). But don't know how expensive they are and the fact that I don't have any other use for it...the price might not be justified.