AN\PEQ HomeMade

skull6m

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
i'm new in this forum, and i'm new in the world of leds and flashlights.
I'm writing here because i'm trying to build an homemade AN\PEQ (for those that don't know it, it's nothing more that a laser sight used in assault rifles), in which i would like to install a flashlight and a laser pointer.
I practice the softair, and i want to use it in my rifle. I can find online ready AN\PEQ that have these characteristics, but are equipped with very low power flashlight (250-300 lm) and low power laser pointer. So i would like to build my own AN\PEQ, using more performing LEDS for flashlight and different laser pointer.

For the laser pointer i have already a working solution, but I need some advice about the flashlight, the led that i can use, the correct reflector/lens and the correct driver.

I found online the popular led XML2 U2 1A, but i can't find a driver that have dedicated switch for light\mode and another switch for ON/OFF, but only driver that have both functionality in the same switch. There is some driver with these characteristics that i can use with this led model? or there is other led\driver model that can you recommend me?
I want to use one 18650 battery.

Another doubt concern the reflectors/lens that i should use. Surfing online, i saw that maybe i can adapt something like CONVOY S2 lens to install in my AN\PEQ, but i'm not sure about that. It's only my hypothesis.

Can someone help me?

Thanks
Enrico

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mountain Electronics has a driver specifically for a separate mode switch. Look on their site for "qlite momentary". Made to run on a single 18650.

For reflectors, not sure what kind of host you're building exactly but their "P60" kits include the reflector (get the XM size for XML2) and a base that the reflector screws onto. Figure out what size lens you need and checkout flashlightlens. Their acrylic ones are in almost every size.

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and welcome Skull6,
There are several firearms enthusiasts on the modders page, including me that would be happy to help with WML projects.

Are you planning on housing this in one unit, like the mil PEQ?
Yes, Mtn Electronics is my go-to place for components as well. Richard there is also helpful if you email him. I might look at the XPL-Hi LED option, it typically has better efficiency and better throw than the standard XPL.

I like your idea of the Convoy S2 reflector, I've used those in other mods, including one I'm building now, a WML with a tapeswitch.
It's an Aleph head with a Convoy S2 reflector, a fivemega E-head-to-C-tail body, and a Surefire SW01 skinny tailcap. I'm still working out the details on the tailcap.

XmkLbD.jpg

FUdvjY.jpg

PS: please stop calling it an assault rifle. that's a made up term by those who wish to vilify a perfectly legal item. Modern Sporting Rifle is a preferred term. I don't like being PC, however it's simple semantics, anything can be an 'assault item' only if you actually assault someone with it. Otherwise it's a paperweight.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that the XPL-HI would only throw better if sitting behind a lens. The narrower viewing angle would direct more light at the lens, getting more light out the front.

With a reflector, the hotspot that generates throw all comes from the reflector. A wider viewing angle would direct more light at the reflector, and thus into the hotspot. The narrow portion of the light goes out the front without hitting the reflector, and generates spill, not throw.