Angryfox        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why did you sell your HDS light(s) and do you regret it?

Default Re: Why did you sell your HDS light(s) and do you regret it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
    Rotary tails are fixed on new lights
    To me, the rotary tails were always top notch and dependable. I would have absolutely no reservation purchasing a HDS Rotary. I may even purchase the new Titanium light at the $200 premium if I feel that an Executive Titanium is never going to be made in the near future.

Unless something has recently changed, I believe that the special metal sprint runs will be rotaries only. They don't sell enough Executives to justify the expense.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    Over the course of many years [...]
    It was, however, a good experience for me owning those flashlights. It helped me realize the true value of lights for me and what was ultimately most important in my mind.
    Although I was relatively late to the HDS game (my first registration on the forum was 2006, but I wasn't into "expensive" lights at that time, how foolish), I read everything about the HDS lights, including the old Arc flashlights stuff, Peter Grandsee, Joe Mintz, etc. Everything I could find, including of course the CPF threads, past or prťsent.
    I've followed your "adventures in HDS" been there, done that, and even got one of the lights that was yours, haha.

All that just to say, this has to be one of your better posts about HDS 👍
    I can relate on many points, but I actually never sold an HDS. I have way too many according to my wife, but am still looking to buy some more (well, that part more in my dreams).

The closest I got to sell an HDS was sending a legacy HC 100 to Henry for a battery draining problem. Sadly it didn't make it, but I got another high CRI 100 in return...sadly with a very meh emitter compared to the Seoul P4. I still miss my light

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    What do you like better about the RRT?
    advantages of RRT-01
    the ramping is continuous (a biggie for me), does not hop in steps like HDS (bugs me)
    the dial is at the head, more natural grip for me
    no tail button, so no extra step, otoh, the HDS Rotary button acts as a Memory mode, RRT does not have memory
    screw on pocket clip is deep carry, and due to the ring being on the head, Im ready to fire when I draw, no flipping the light
    compatible w 18350
    not as heavy, not as big
    wider lumen range: goes much lower minimum, and much higher maximum
    lower price

advantages of HDS
    Rotary dial is smoother, like butter
    Built in Low Voltage step down and Overdischarge shut off for LiIon
    Most Awesome High CRI LED options
    diffuse reflector option
    Each ramping step is consistent and repeatable
    Strobe option, with direct access (programmable to a triple click for example)
    Programmable, can be used as a 4 mode clicky
    Tactical momentary option, and also the press hold for maximum from any level
    Locator flash
    Auto shut off timer

l-r 10440 Folomov w 3000k Nichia E21a, 18350 RRT-01 w N219b 4500k 9080, 16340 HDS Rotary w N219b 3500k 9080
    Last edited by jon_slider; 02-07-2019 at 05:02 PM.

I had over 10 at one point, and I came to the conclusion I dont need multiple iterations of the same flashlight with slightly different emitters.

That being said, I currently have:

High Noon 18540 Rotary
    Orange cerakote 325 lumen clicky
    Vinh Modded 16340 clicky
    RA Twisty
    3-4 Novatacs
    Action Light

Ive had a few but none if the limited emitters. All of mine were bought off the shelf. I sold all that I had due to not being happy with the tints. However I did have a LE 250 with smooth reflector that actually had a decent tint. I should have not sold that one. I did order a new 325 long throw rotary. Hoepfully I like it so I dont have to sell it as well..

I have owned many hds lights and have sold quite a few as well. I don't think I regret selling any of them.

At one time i got a good deal on one and resold it, kind of wish I kept it for an emitter swap. However with the recent special runs, I've put that thought behind me.

Iíve sold a couple mostly to make room for different HDS. The one I regret selling was my Ti Clicky, but I sold it to get a McGizmo McLux III-T so it wasnít all bad. But thatís gone too, I think for a SPY 007. But thatís gone too, for who knows what. What a vicious cycle. I canít barely recall all the neat lights Iíve had, but only a few get to stay at any one time as it just isnít fiscally possible to keep them all. Itís been a good ride though and Iím happy to have been able to experience so many cool flashlights over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Iíve sold a couple mostly to make room for different HDS. The one I regret selling was my Ti Clicky, but I sold it to get a McGizmo McLux III-T so it wasnít all bad. But thatís gone too, I think for a SPY 007. But thatís gone too, for who knows what. What a vicious cycle. I canít barely recall all the neat lights Iíve had, but only a few get to stay at any one time as it just isnít fiscally possible to keep them all. Itís been a good ride though and Iím happy to have been able to experience so many cool flashlights over the years.
    Well said Sir and +1. Iíd love to know what gems you kept.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty wage guy View Post
    Well said Sir and +1. Iíd love to know what gems you kept.
    The My Lights link in my sigline is usually always pretty well up to date if you want to checkout the current lineup.

The My Lights link in my sigline is usually always pretty well up to date if you want to checkout the current lineup.
    Any experience with Peak, remind me ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

Default Why did you sell your HDS light(s) and do you regret it?

Yes, now that I think of it! I believe a Matterhorn if I recall, many years ago. Had three 5mm emitters, AAA. Decently bright and white tint, for the day. SS though, so very heavy for its size.

SS Peaks are the best, IMO ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Duh, I should have seen that.. You definitely kept some gems! Your stable is full of straight up thoroughbreds.
    Thank you Sir!

Default Why did you sell your HDS light(s) and do you regret it?

Itís all good. I use the app a lot so I miss most signature lines too.

Thanks, Iíve got a couple neat things I think. Like I said, I wish I coulda kept them all, many cool items I was able to try and pass on. After a dozen years here, you find some things that really speak to you and you hang on to them. When I started here and other college kids were spending their money on getting drunk and buying designer jeans I was buying HDSs and Surefires. Lol

I think Iíve had maybe 11 HDSs as I recall. In addition to the four I have now, I remember a few. The Ti Clicky went for funds. Two Twisties were sold for funds sadly since they just didnít get enough use, though I miss them a bit for the sheer novelty of them and the innovative UI. Two more SSC P4 Clickies, one cool, one Hi CRI, ended up in Henryís scrap heap as they went ape on me so they went home and were replaced with a GDP 140 and an XPG 200 I think. Then those two were sold for newer ones with neater emitters which are probably my current ones. Haha
    Last edited by nbp; 04-07-2019 at 09:54 PM.

I have sold several over the years, always lights that were not getting used anymore because newer HDSs with different emitters had replaced them. The two lights that get all the use right now are a 170N and a 200 High CRI, both Rotaries. The only light I wish I had not sold is a 140 Clicky, my very first HDS.

My 170N is my be all and end all, I haven't had the privilege of trying a Nichia SW45 R9080 yet, that'll be a step up - or not. I have 5 emitters in my drawer shouting to be used.
    I sold an XP-L 325 Exec and a 250 Tactical as I've gone all Nichia for a bit.
    P
    I'm looking for an Ra Twisty. Please PM if you have a spare. Also looking for an MD4 tube, no tailcap necessary.
    My Twisty Thread My MD4 Thread

Thanks, guys. I was just toying with the idea of selling one of mine. After all, I don't really need four. Now I think I'll keep it, since all of them are irreplaceable, discontinued high CRI runs. (Except the high noon, those haven't gone extinct quite yet.)

I had several and sold them all. I love the lights but they are not bright enough to justify their cost.
    HUG YOUR DOG!

Interesting thought of not bright enough to justify the cost.

The way i look at it is that even though they are only 2-300 lumens, they keep up with 600 lumen lights and replace many lights into one. So to me, the price is easily justified. Plus i don't believe less expensive lights are of the same caliber. I respect your opinion though.

Same could be said about things like knives. They all cut, but when you have something like a Chris Reeves compared to a spyderco, benchmade, etc; you quickly learn that the crk is worth the premium.

Just my opinion and I was raised in a certain way which has cost me lots of money throughout my life. Sometimes I wish I learned to just get what will get me what i need at the lower prices, but that's just not how my brain is wired

I was very tempted to get an HDS and almost bought one a few times over the past 6 years. But something always lured me away. Then, the price jump happened and put them further out of reach. They are great quality lights and over-built, with Henry still there to help out folks with issues. But frankly, I echo what jon_slider said about advantages. After getting a Jetbeam RRT-01, I really don't have any compelling reason to buy an HDS flashlight. I still appreciate them for their quality and the history. About the only thing close to it that I have is a NovaTac 120P.

So as far as regrets are concerned, I wished that I had bought an HDS some years ago... just to have that experience of owning one. Because NOW, I could resell it and actually make a profit!
    Last edited by xevious; 04-15-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    LIGHT BRANDS IN ROTATION: Zebralight, Olight, RovyVon, Astrolux, Nitecore, Thrunite, Surefire, NovaTac

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    I was very tempted to get an HDS and almost bought one a few times over the past 6 years. But something always lured me away...But frankly, I echo what jon_slider said about advantages...
    All opinions are welcome here. Jon is among the more cerebral CPF'ers, and that's saying a lot considering the collective nerd power on this forum. I would only add that the HDS and the Jetbeam are very different lights. It still might be worth seeing what HDS is all about. You could easily resell the light if you don't like it. Just one guy's opinion.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    After getting a Jetbeam RRT-01, I really don't have any compelling reason to buy an HDS flashlight. I still appreciate them for their quality and the history. About the only thing close to it that I have is a NovaTac 120P.
    !
    See, I carried a Jetbeam RRT-0 which is the older rotary with a tail clicky just a smidge longer than the -01. Did that for 10 years same light. A great unit. Backup still brand new one 10 years old in my bug out bag. My user Pic at the bottom. I am converting from my RRT units to HDS. Going the other direction than you are. I admire the quality workmanship, design, ruggedness. Granted my 10 year old RRT light endured many concrete drops, water plunges and banging around, but I was just ready to change things up. Not right or wrong, and I sorta consider it like this: I bought few lights the past 10 years, So I saved a fair amount the past decade. Back into it full on now.

The RRT was a great light, but I am more than pleased with my changeover. I may sell an HDS in the future, if they ever come out with a higher lumen than the current 335nlt. My stable is getting full. Lol.

Last edited by Commodorefirst; 04-15-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; Past (for 10 years) 24/7 JETBeam RR0 Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and numerous Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12