• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

**WTS: McLuxIII T (Ti Twisty)WITHDRAWN**

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all!
No longer withdrawn. Making this available again as of 7/21. I was going to start a new thread but some good info posted here in this one so here we go!!

Up for grabs we have a classic! The titanium light that started it all, the McLuxIII T.
This was the first of Don's titanium lights and is a twisty only, no piston drive.
It uses a TY0H Luxeon III LED driven at two stages at 525mA and 25mA and has a removable heatsink for LED-upgrades (the production Piston Drives had a solid bulk head design that make upgrades a bit more difficult), though this still sports the original Lux III. I believe only 50 of these were made, correct me if I am wrong if you know! The head is of Don's original 6-flute design.
It is in mint, unused and unmodded condition with the exception of a small scratch on the tail (see pic) which I was told is a tooling mark that most, if not all, units have from this run. A handsome piece of CPF history!
feBFyW2.jpg

EDigqeY.jpg

McLuxIII T = WITHDRAWN

Please let me know if you have any questions!

-Paypal only please.
-First "I'll take it" in this thread has priority.
-Paypal fees and shipping to CONUS are included in the price.
-Not interested in trades at this time.

-Thanks for looking!
-Michael.

Last edited:

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: **FS: McLuxIII T (Ti Twisty)**

Thanks for that PSM. I was not aware of that info nugget!

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: **FS: McLuxIII T (Ti Twisty) NEW PRICE DROP**

When I had the pleasure to own one of these amazing historical pieces years ago, they were going for near $800. LL is offering some incredible stuff at awesome prices guys!

archimedes

Flashaholic

.... I believe only 30 of these were made, correct me if I am wrong if you know! ....

IIRC, these actually came after the earliest PD McGizmo models, and (as you note) were far rarer.

I believe 50 were made in total, and only about half of which were made available for sale on CPF.

Reference link, here ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102325

I almost bought the one @npb was selling many years ago, as this is an absolute classic which I have yet to own.

Best with your sale here, cheers !

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

archimedes, thank you for the info and the link!

Another drop!

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I were to get this, I would install a custom disc like Zirc or Ti at the tail-end... loaded with trits. :shakehead

This is a classic and a jewel! Good luck Sir.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Was very fortunate to have owned one (sold to Donn, who had a great collection) for nearly $800 a very long time ago.
Great light! ( The one I owned, also had the dot imperfection)
This one is tempting!

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bump with a new price drop!

Great idea on a custom disk for the tail, xdayv!

Simonxm

Newly Enlightened

Is it a neutral white? Whats the battery type?

Only 2 stage light available on this torch via twisting its head, right?

Simonxm

Newly Enlightened

So twisting the head will turn on and change the light of different lumens?

What's the LED, is it Neutral white? What's the weight to the torch?

Thank you.

scout24

Flashaholic

Simonxm- These lights are 1x123 primary battery sized. Yes, it's a progressive 2 level twisty. Back when they were made, "neutral" wasn't really in the cards... :) They were all (that I've seen) a very nice white tint though. I suggest reading the link Archimedes posted above, or using the search bar above and to the right. There's a bunch of info here on these lights. Classics, in the true sense of the word. I know for fact there is one less of these in the world than Don made, it was destroyed last year about this time. I miss it, and that makes this one that much more of a treasure... Welcome to CPF, and enjoy!

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for the info scout24!
Yes, the LuxIII led was way before the time of Neutral white and high CRI, in fact, Lumileds were the first to market with high powered (at the time) white LED's. They first had a 1 watt (Lux I), then a 3 watt (Lux II) and a 5 watt (Lux V, which essentially was 4 Lux I's on one chip. the holy grail of LED's back in the day would be a 5 watt X-Bin!! Rare as hens teeth!).
Like all technologies, they are now a bit outdated in terms of output and efficiency, but that is not to say that the led in this particular light is not up to the job for most EDC needs as the tint is not offensive and the lumen output (at around 80) will satisfy most tasks.
For some time, the Lux leds were all we had! So the "Bin" was an important factor for flashlight aficionados and especially white-wall hunters and Don (McGizmo) was one builder that would offer his creations in multiple bins and since every ones eyes, and tastes, are different, individuals preferred different bins, and this light happens to be a TYOH (snowy white to my eyes). IIRC, the bin breakdown goes as: First letter is the Flux, second is the Color Tint, third is the Forward Voltage and last is the Color (white, red, etc).
I still like the Luxeon LED's, and not just for a nostalgic reason. Their output still looks good to me, both tint and brightness, and I still have, and use, a number of lights that rock a 3 watt or 5 watt Luxeon.

All this talk about Luxeon LED's and binning has got me all worked up and I have decided to keep this light and withdraw this sale, at least for now! I spent many years trying to score one of these when I joined CPF (13 years ago now!) so I will continue to enjoy this fantastic creation, and piece of CPF history, for the time being!

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

This one is back up for grabs and at a lowered price!!

easilyled

Flashaholic

Those were the days my friend. Great piece of nostalgia at a great price from a great seller.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Making this available again so bump it up!!