Snow Peak Ti Spork Friction Fire Bearing Block.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I decided to revisit an old skill. For me the bearing block is the hardest part of the set to get working right on the fly. So like to improvise with items in my kit. What are the chances of me being wildly lost in the woods then forced to use a spork as a bearing block in a survival situation. Just a little above ZERO however that's not really the point. This stuff first and foremost should be fun.

Tulip Poplar bark. Going to use this for the tinder bundle. It was a bit damp/frozen in areas however tossed some in my pocket to warm up.

2qi6Zoo.jpg

YFtjr5G.jpg

Yellow Birch Bark. Hydrocarbon acceleration.

bHyotNF.jpg

There.

Dnw13Vl.jpg

OimbMEG.jpg

Basically the sharp end of the spindle spins in the spoon the blunt end in the fire board. I tried a little wood platform made of splintered wood from a ice storm damaged tree. Too unstable so went with an oak leaf to hold the coal.

uqEi3KX.jpg

f4ISLFe.jpg

Let to coal solidify a bit.

uroL6T1.jpg

The handle of the spork worked well to free the coal from the fireboard.

0nxMcWC.jpg

Chaga coal extender in the fluffed up tulip poplar tinder bundle.

VSYAqS8.jpg

Fire!

YPKsxAp.jpg

HsSF98Y.jpg

HN2Kddc.jpg

Bacon!

15PBLdu.jpg

hjVggwL.jpg

That's about it. Nothing revolutionary. A spoon does make for a bearing block. Remember to shield your hands from heat. In this case I used a glove but a sock also works.

Last edited:
Very nice. I love outdoorsmanship. As a teen I lived outside for four months. Then I lived in the mouth of a horizontal mineshaft (Northern CA) for several months. You make a lot of fires when you live outside, and it's always fun to watch people make their own. We were gold miners.

jDApJzYN5kg-JOvFjo2b1wVDpwkfHpGfu-JpV6bzfXrAV_14E-_ozyXT_KogDql1Kjc-qXFHMPjIAuStRrisGAdup1ASbheN2bjJh-N_RqIK0lwmrHPM2S4eSnmQhyyMenmBd_ZBDZ4cryAUJ40FuKOcsWDybfWWc8ksXK3tepVdRFLd8q7SraIsFRaV7Eac0yQtWbv6fIQnyceDBtZCq8XWundMwol2t14XtoZ3f6xNro9rQ2iPn2RkYbsV_hidCnvXPPigYtzjZZMSKya8staKPoPhRdZp7-5zg2LjmMOn0nBXn_i5sqtFc0olgY8kroIjlx2vgnrU7lW_v2p7PGANqZasjpmhInJSdy-8r5P52lRfnRMK2GHS6mrc56ODzTEtZLDBzX_WJPfjZyv1_kBo5Jp9zlgPo9PhNkfpoq7dcvfV_rj1XYGX6XsSfXV-lg-LFcChyEieauXCi3UvU08WMYR1KgCZDQrcw-sK40X5J0Ersm32h0bxDVquEjvd134EV9ehl5DBu4jIZovmCtcC6dqFN-Ro-ukFTqU86w8rRRV6vQGxnlmcyiVHIV68YK6Rs74ajFGV-Tnx08Q584AFoBipeRj7LO5wvgjga-1_79eDUAYx16AghoBtdKN8-k99PMAvptYKUBQAWocC05gBjw=w800-h420-no

Last edited: