Trustfire        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Milwaukee 12A lithium ion tool batteries uses 21700 cells

Default New Milwaukee 12A lithium ion tool batteries uses 21700 cells

I had thought it wouldn't happen nearly as quickly as this, power tool companies embracing larger than 18650 cells in their battery packs. I figured they would stick with 18650 cells for the size/shape/weight etc.
    I saw a new 12Ah milwaukee tool battery at Home Depot last night and it looked odd.... it was larger in footprint than their normal batteries and I put one side by side and if was larger all around so I figured they were probably using 20700 or 21700 cells in it. After checking online there are sites touting 21700 cells.
    This may be starting a new Ah war with the power tool manufacturers with them possibly offering 2 lines of batteries, normal to heavy output 18650 based and super output 21700 cells. I will say that 12A pack was massive and heavy I wouldn't want to have to hold it in the air all day rather have smaller batteries and swap them more often for the weight.
    Will there be phone power banks using these cells soon in the stores soon? I was thinking bluetooth speakers but some of them are using non standard packs in them instead.
    Makes me want to consider making sure any future chargers I buy supports longer cells as I think we will even see rechargeable flashlights in stores (built in 21700) in the future within perhaps 5 years from now.
    Dewalt has a 9A battery pack out but the 12A Milwaukee IMO is going to probably push Dewalt into incorporating 21700 technology to "match" capacity without going to a 4 layer pack.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Default Re: New Milwaukee 12A lithium ion tool batteries uses 21700 cells

I looked at those during the Holiday sales they had but though everyone likes more battery I had to decide to watch everyone else like that one!
    That thing is crazy.

Now that they are selling Compressors and Table Saws and Miter Saws running on these systems though they have to keep raising the bar as much as they can.
    They claim these things can run the table saw as though it was plugged into the wall.

I did however get one of these

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...ear/49-24-2371

and it seems to work great so far turning all of my batteries into power banks as needed.
    It also charges at much more current than the 1/2 amp they say it does so I bet they upgraded it recently and forgot somehow to say so?

Flashaholic*

Bosch and Metabo are also currently using 21700 cells in some of their battery packs. Dewalt is still using 20700 cells I believe.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...8v80-199623-p/

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Now that they are selling Compressors and Table Saws and Miter Saws running on these systems though they have to keep raising the bar as much as they can.
    They claim these things can run the table saw as though it was plugged into the wall.
    Dewalt had a battery powered Table saw but it was using special 60v packs (2 of them I think). There is enough power for such things in some of these packs but the problem is runtime even with a 12Ah pack is limited vs a cord.

and it seems to work great so far turning all of my batteries into power banks as needed.
    It also charges at much more current than the 1/2 amp they say it does so I bet they upgraded it recently and forgot somehow to say so?
    I have cheap Black & Decker and Porter Cable 20v tools and stumbled across the Porter Cable USB adapter which is very rare now costing about $50 online or more if you can even find one. I bought it to tear down and put in a QC3.0 USB fast charging circuit board I bought for $3 on Ebay. I did pick up a 12/24v QC3.0 car fast charger USB plug in that I wired to one of my 20v batteries and it worked charging my phone rather quickly. I don't think $35+ for a wimpy 500ma to 1A USB port adapter for power tools is a good thing more like a ripoff when you can cobble something together for $10 that has 2A output and QC3 fast charging for smart phones.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by SubLGT View Post
    Bosch and Metabo are also currently using 21700 cells in some of their battery packs. Dewalt is still using 20700 cells I believe.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...8v80-199623-p/
    I haven't noticed that the 6A Dewalt packs are larger I thought they were still 18650s. I have a feeling in the future that 18650 cells could be replaced entirely by 20/21700 cells making them harder to find without scavenging tons of battery packs.

You probably shouldn't buy one then,meanwhile I will be using mine.
    I sure didn't pay $35 for mine and why would I build one when they sell them ready to go.
    Also it charges at 2.4amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    Dewalt had a battery powered Table saw but it was using special 60v packs (2 of them I think). There is enough power for such things in some of these packs but the problem is runtime even with a 12Ah pack is limited vs a cord.

I have cheap Black & Decker and Porter Cable 20v tools and stumbled across the Porter Cable USB adapter which is very rare now costing about $50 online or more if you can even find one. I bought it to tear down and put in a QC3.0 USB fast charging circuit board I bought for $3 on Ebay. I did pick up a 12/24v QC3.0 car fast charger USB plug in that I wired to one of my 20v batteries and it worked charging my phone rather quickly. I don't think $35+ for a wimpy 500ma to 1A USB port adapter for power tools is a good thing more like a ripoff when you can cobble something together for $10 that has 2A output and QC3 fast charging for smart phones.

My guess is that in about one year all new battery powered tools will use 21700. Modern competition requires using the best tool for the job, or at least the best perceived. Tesla and other companies are pounding out millions of 21700s, making them relatively cheap and plentiful and only getting moreso. And perceived (and real) benefits to power tools are great. Companies that don't offer 21700s won't sell product. Older models with 18650s will be left on the shelf and sold off at huge discounts.

Just my guess. Absolutely no consequences to being wrong. But next year I'll brag it up big if my guess is right.

Quote Originally Posted by JimIslander View Post
    My guess is that in about one year all new battery powered tools will use 21700. Modern competition requires using the best tool for the job, or at least the best perceived. Tesla and other companies are pounding out millions of 21700s, making them relatively cheap and plentiful and only getting moreso. And perceived (and real) benefits to power tools are great. Companies that don't offer 21700s won't sell product. Older models with 18650s will be left on the shelf and sold off at huge discounts.

Just my guess. Absolutely no consequences to being wrong. But next year I'll brag it up big if my guess is right.
    Actually they don't necessarily make models that only take 21700 batteries the connector between the battery pack and drill are the same in both cases (18650 & 21700) so essentially the only thing that will be changed is the battery packs themselves from smaller 18650 packs to larger 21700 packs. It may be double layer 18650 are replaced by single layer 21700s to entice people with a little better capacity for a cheaper price than double layer 18650s.

I'm fairly certain that Ryobi uses 20/21700 cells in their new-ish 3/6/9Ah +HP batteries; the 4Ah +HP is almost certainly 18650. The 9Ah is an impressive - yet chunky - thing.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic*

I believe Ryobi is still using 18650 cells in their 6Ah and 9Ah batteries, based on what I have read here:

https://toolcraze.net/ryobi-6-0-ah-b...rger-than-4-0/

https://toolcraze.net/usa-ryobi-9-0-...-finally-here/

Flashaholic*

The Rigid 5Ah and 6Ah packs are built with 18650 cells:

https://toolguyd.com/ridgid-18v-5-0a...-li-ion-cells/

Quote Originally Posted by SubLGT View Post
    I believe Ryobi is still using 18650 cells in their 6Ah and 9Ah batteries, based on what I have read here:

https://toolcraze.net/ryobi-6-0-ah-b...rger-than-4-0/

https://toolcraze.net/usa-ryobi-9-0-...-finally-here/
    Interesting. All the 3Ah 18650s I've researched just can't deliver the current that lesser-capacity cells can, suggesting that either they've sourced some that I've not been able to research or the current demands of their tools is less than ≤2Ah high-rate cells can deliver.

The added girth on the 3/6/9 Ah packs must be for other reasons.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    Interesting. All the 3Ah 18650s I've researched just can't deliver the current that lesser-capacity cells can, suggesting that either they've sourced some that I've not been able to research or the current demands of their tools is less than ≤2Ah high-rate cells can deliver.

Parallel cell layers spread out the current demands making both easier to deliver high power plus under higher drains increasing runtimes more much more than double and triple of single layer packs.

Parallel cell layers spread out the current demands making both easier to deliver high power plus under higher drains increasing runtimes more much more than double and triple of single layer packs.
    I'm well aware. I do wonder if the new +HP 3Ah pack will suffer like the 1.2 / 1.5Ah packs do with the more power-hungry tools.

I'm well aware. I do wonder if the new +HP 3Ah pack will suffer like the 1.2 / 1.5Ah packs do with the more power-hungry tools.
    If it has single layer 18650 may suffer more as typically the lower Ah packs have higher current output capacity. I've used the Dewalt XR and 5Ah packs (dual layer) and they work pretty well compared to single layer 1.3A to 2A packs of other companies

Flashaholic*

Over at a tool forum, one guy posted this (Nov 2018):

http://forum.toolsinaction.com/topic...9ah-batteries/

DeWalt switched from 20700 battery cells to 21700 battery cells now that they are more readily available.

The 9.0ah now uses the latest battery cells, just like the 12.0ah. This is a good thing. It is a rolling change that began happening in quarter 2 of this year.
    A google search did not turn up a confirmation of the above statement.

Flashaholic*

Milwaukee has had the USB adapter for the M18 lithium batteries for atleast 5 years as Iíve got 2 of them I use for cold weather with my heated gear.

Word of warning though, make sure to turn it off when not in use. It will drain the battery if left on.

Royobi, Rigid and Milwaukee are all owned by the same parent company so itís not surprising that the tech is being shared.

Of the big box home improvement stores, only Home Depot is allowed to sell Rigid electric power tools. Some of the mid west sellers like Minards sells Milwaukee. You wonít find Milwaukee at Loweís.

Milwaukee released the 9 amp hour battery about a year ago and the 12 amp hour version hitting the shelves in August or September.

Black&Decker/DeWalt likes to use charged voltage verses nominal voltage for their advertising so it makes their tools more powerful. The Flex-Volt batteries 20/60 volt have an internal circuit that switches from series to parallel giving them either 20 or 60 volts with the loss of capacity. Tools using the Flex-Volt use smaller gauge wiring since they donít have to carry the higher current of the 18-20 volt offerings of other companies.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Default New Milwaukee 12A lithium ion tool batteries uses 21700 cells

Rigid is not owned by the same company.
    Emerson Electric here in Fergustan owns the Rigid brand.

Milwaukee and Ryobi are owned by the same Mother company.

I have never seen Milwaukee sold at Menards.

And yes the USB adapter have been around a while but they seem to have been revised and now output a lot more current than the 1/2 amp they did at first,which is what I already said here.
    I always take mine off of the battery when not is use so I am good with that.
    Last edited by AVService; 02-03-2019 at 01:18 PM.

From looking at the size of the Milwaukee 12 Ah packs, I don't think 18650's are going anywhere. 21700 will likely be an increasingly common option for more power and capacity, but I'm expecting 18650's to continue to be common.

I don't recall seeing a 3Ah pack that wasn't a two-layer design (5s2p). The 6Ah pack presumably has 15A rated batteries in parallel, so it should behave similar to the 1.5Ah packs with 25-30A rated batteries. I don't think Ryobi is seeking the ultimate performance, especially as the entry level brand in the family.

Rigid is not owned by the same company.
    Emerson Electric here in Fergustan owns the Rigid brand.

Milwaukee and Ryobi are owned by the same Mother company.
    It's true that TTi does not own Ridgid, but my understanding is that Emerson licenses the Ridgid name to TTi (parent of Milwaukee and Ryobi) specifically for power tools for sale primarily at the orange box store. I recently dug up an old press release discussing the partnership in general terms, although I can't find it again now.

It looks like TTI may make them but they are owned by Emerson.

I have also bought 2 different Rigid drills just because of the battery warranty and in both cases when I went online to register them the Site told me these were not from Home Depot and they would not register them at all.
    I of course had just bought them at Home Depot?

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    From looking at the size of the Milwaukee 12 Ah packs, I don't think 18650's are going anywhere. 21700 will likely be an increasingly common option for more power and capacity, but I'm expecting 18650's to continue to be common.

I don't recall seeing a 3Ah pack that wasn't a two-layer design (5s2p). The 6Ah pack presumably has 15A rated batteries in parallel, so it should behave similar to the 1.5Ah packs with 25-30A rated batteries. I don't think Ryobi is seeking the ultimate performance, especially as the entry level brand in the family.

It's true that TTi does not own Ridgid, but my understanding is that Emerson licenses the Ridgid name to TTi (parent of Milwaukee and Ryobi) specifically for power tools for sale primarily at the orange box store. I recently dug up an old press release discussing the partnership in general terms, although I can't find it again now.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    Haven't been able to find a teardown, and Ryobi doesn't say much other than "good, better, better-er". Photographs make it look smaller than the Lithium+ 4.0Ah batteries but it's possible that they've parallel 1.5Ah strings.

With their 6Ah and 9Ah batteries apparently being 2P and 3P with 3Ah cells it's not hard to imagine the 3Ah battery as a single series.

Maybe when I'm at an actual computer I'll see if Home Depot's specs are consistent enough for a comparison.

Ryobi is surely not going to show up Milwaukee where the margins are sweeter.

It looks like TTI may make them but they are owned by Emerson.

I have also bought 2 different Rigid drills just because of the battery warranty and in both cases when I went online to register them the Site told me these were not from Home Depot and they would not register them at all.
    I of course had just bought them at Home Depot?
    Home Depot is nuts about warranties on products as I had a copper pipe cutter Husky brand I took back and they no longer stocked that particular one at any store so I was told to call the manufacturer (Husky) and I went online and got the phone number from the Husky tool website and called the number and guess who answered the phone? Hello this is Home Depot....... My eyes were rolling so hard I almost had to get in a dragster to catch up to them lol. I got sent another brand new pipe cutter in the mail and the ironic thing is about a month later I was in another Home Depot store and that exact cutter was back in stock on the shelves being sold.
    I had a pair of tin snips break that was my fathers and the exact model was being sold by Home Depot and I read somewhere the brand had a lifetime warranty so I took it in and one guy told me unless it says it on the package no can do so I went to look at the packages on the shelves and when I got back another guy helped me instead of him and him and a lady were both glad to swap me out the broken one for a brand new one. I honestly don't think some of these places have a iron clad policy on warranties.

The problem was with Rigid though not Home Depot.
    I am sure that if I have an issue with the drills that they will just exchange them at a local store either way which is why I kept the drills despite the Rigid promised warranty scam.

I know I have Home Depot to thank for me being here probably too when they likely exchanged 100 Maglites over the years for me too!
    Every time one died they would just give me a new one and this lasted for years until I saw the actual better light like we talk about here!

Amen to Home Depot!
    Home Depot is nuts about warranties on products as I had a copper pipe cutter Husky brand I took back and they no longer stocked that particular one at any store so I was told to call the manufacturer (Husky) and I went online and got the phone number from the Husky tool website and called the number and guess who answered the phone? Hello this is Home Depot....... My eyes were rolling so hard I almost had to get in a dragster to catch up to them lol. I got sent another brand new pipe cutter in the mail and the ironic thing is about a month later I was in another Home Depot store and that exact cutter was back in stock on the shelves being sold.
    I had a pair of tin snips break that was my fathers and the exact model was being sold by Home Depot and I read somewhere the brand had a lifetime warranty so I took it in and one guy told me unless it says it on the package no can do so I went to look at the packages on the shelves and when I got back another guy helped me instead of him and him and a lady were both glad to swap me out the broken one for a brand new one. I honestly don't think some of these places have a iron clad policy on warranties.

The problem was with Rigid though not Home Depot.
    I am sure that if I have an issue with the drills that they will just exchange them at a local store either way which is why I kept the drills despite the Rigid promised warranty scam.

I know I have Home Depot to thank for me being here probably too when they likely exchanged 100 Maglites over the years for me too!
    Every time one died they would just give me a new one and this lasted for years until I saw the actual better light like we talk about here!

Amen to Home Depot!
    Sooner or later profit margins triumph over products as competition pushes overpriced premium brands harder and harder greed usually rules and warranties crumble. IMO lifetime warranties should be considered 25 years or less or about 1 generation if you are lucky while anything electronic warranties are often just enough to test it out for a short time.
    In the past TV sets and most electronics had 3 years warranty while premium brands had 5 years warranty but then a nice 25 inch set cost $500 and up and higher quality VCRs were $600 and up today TVs can be had for $150 and blu-ray players for $50 both of which have 1 year warranty and often limits of 90 days on returns to stores requiring you to send them back to the manufacturer at your cost unless you pay for an extended warranty and more and more you almost need the extra 1-2 years addition warranty as manufacturers make products less robust for longevity. Typically having to deal with local stores for warranty is the best because often manufacturers will do the refurbished swap when your product breaks on you and this means an increased chance of rebreaking often. I don't like refurbished stuff as the longevity of it often is HALF of the original new product and companies that sell products often make it so you only get one swap before the warranty conks out on you.
    Anyway back to the thread even though I'm somewhat impressed by these uber batteries I find the increasing size disconcerting as I've used larger rotary hammer drills and other hand tools where the extra weight and bulk would be a huge negative if you are drilling 100 holes in a concrete ceiling a 12Ah battery may run tons longer but your arm will soon fail on you trying to hold it above your head and push up through the metal decking. These batteries would probably be more suited for table saws and other tools that you don't have to wield.

I sell TVs,we don't need to go there.

I agree I am using the Milwaukee 5ah batteries in an 18v rotary hammer and it feels like a feather compared to my corded Hilti but then it also does not remotely do what the Hilti can either.
    Picking the right tool for the job is as important as the right battery for the tool.

If I get one of the Mongo batteries it will be for a Milwaukee light and because I found it cheap on Craigslist too!

Sooner or later profit margins triumph over products as competition pushes overpriced premium brands harder and harder greed usually rules and warranties crumble. IMO lifetime warranties should be considered 25 years or less or about 1 generation if you are lucky while anything electronic warranties are often just enough to test it out for a short time.
    In the past TV sets and most electronics had 3 years warranty while premium brands had 5 years warranty but then a nice 25 inch set cost $500 and up and higher quality VCRs were $600 and up today TVs can be had for $150 and blu-ray players for $50 both of which have 1 year warranty and often limits of 90 days on returns to stores requiring you to send them back to the manufacturer at your cost unless you pay for an extended warranty and more and more you almost need the extra 1-2 years addition warranty as manufacturers make products less robust for longevity. Typically having to deal with local stores for warranty is the best because often manufacturers will do the refurbished swap when your product breaks on you and this means an increased chance of rebreaking often. I don't like refurbished stuff as the longevity of it often is HALF of the original new product and companies that sell products often make it so you only get one swap before the warranty conks out on you.
    Anyway back to the thread even though I'm somewhat impressed by these uber batteries I find the increasing size disconcerting as I've used larger rotary hammer drills and other hand tools where the extra weight and bulk would be a huge negative if you are drilling 100 holes in a concrete ceiling a 12Ah battery may run tons longer but your arm will soon fail on you trying to hold it above your head and push up through the metal decking. These batteries would probably be more suited for table saws and other tools that you don't have to wield.

I sell TVs,we don't need to go there.

I agree I am using the Milwaukee 5ah batteries in an 18v rotary hammer and it feels like a feather compared to my corded Hilti but then it also does not remotely do what the Hilti can either.
    Picking the right tool for the job is as important as the right battery for the tool.

If I get one of the Mongo batteries it will be for a Milwaukee light and because I found it cheap on Craigslist too!
    OSHA now requires us to use special vacuum attachments for drilling into concrete which add weight and are spring loaded to hold the vacuum attachment around the drill bit close to the surface so you have that added resistance and weight to. I've the larger Dewalt rotary hammers and a Makita one with the double layer 18650 cell packs and that monster 12A Milwaukee would probably have my arm worn out after a few hours of holding it again the ceiling pushing in it.

Flashaholic*

Bosch has a (new?) 8Ah 18V 1600w battery pack made up of ten 21700 cells in a double layer. The pack weighs 2.14lb

https://bosch-activities.com/core18v-8-0ah-features

beginning to look like 2x5x21700 is the new sweet spot for tool batteries as far as capacity but 2 lbs is pretty hefty to add to the weight of a tool. I just measured the weight of my cheapo 4Ah Porter Cable battery pack.... 22 oz so the 21700 batteries are about 2/3 of a lb more in weight.

+

Recently ordered some aftermarket 4.5Ah 20V battery packs for my DeWalt tools. They list using quality 21700 cells a couple if times,
    $29

They're only slightly wider/taller than the 2.0Ah units, so I figured I'd give it a go.
    Thinking about it last night, there must be five 21700s' in that pack.

Even if I take them all apart, that's only $6 per 21700,, where else can I get a 21700 for $6??

techdirectclub.com. 3 Tesla model 3 21700 cells for $11.99 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    Even if I take them all apart, that's only $6 per 21700,, where else can I get a 21700 for $6??
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast