Update: Arc-AAA/AA intermittant operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Background

We detected a problem with our AAA/AA product a couple of months ago involving intermittent operation. The unit would fail to start sometimes but then would work fine other times. We pulled all stock from inventory and stopped selling the product.

Replacement

Of course, when we fix this problem, units in the field that are exhibiting this symptom will be replaced under warranty. We don't see a reason for a general recall because not all units were affected. Units sold in the past 6 months are more likely to have this problem. If you suspect that your Arc-AAA/AA has an intermittent operation, please contact us for warranty replacement. We hope to have replacement units available in April or sooner.

What we think is the problem

Originally, we suspected a poor electrical contact to either the ground or in other parts of the circuit. We made quite a few changes to improve those contacts but the problem only seemed to get worse. We also added new QC procedures to better detect this problem. Finally, we checked the micro chip used in the DC/DC step up power supply in the head. We found that is was not meeting the specs published by the manufacturer. We then created some tests to apply to all of our stock and found that 80-95% of each batch was not meeting the published spec for startup voltage and CE state.

The solution

We then contacted our rep and they got the manufacturer (I am not saying what their name is) involved. They tasked 5 people to come over and look at the parts. At first they were cautious about admitting anything but finally after quite a few tests they revealed that a larger customer had reported problems and they had already made changes to the current production silicon. Those changes were just coming through final assembly last week and we got early production samples. Those were shipped straight from the fab and installed in Arc-AAA test units. Tests results continue to show an improvement in the performance of the light. All test units from that batch are meeting the published spec. We have chilled/heated the units, tested the minimum startup and CE states (involves cycling the light at a certain speed that is prone to cause failure in the bad units). Total cycles for each test unit are over 300 manual twist-on/off cycles with not a single failure. We have all chipped in to hand test these lights. The units have also been allowed to sit over the weekend to insure maximum epoxy movement during curing.

We have asked the manufacture to ship us production quantities of the parts but they are having difficulty providing that quantity because there is quite a demand for this chip. It has no pin-compatible cross so we have to work within the production constraints.

We are going to start up production later this week with a small quantity of the new chips and continue to ramp back up to full volume over the next month (hopefully-keep you fingers crossed). For the time being, we will test each unit more exhaustively until our confidence in this new chip has improved.

I have asked our accountant to tally up our damages on this and I am working with the chip manufacture on how we can be made whole on this issue.

Peter

MoonRise

Enlightened
Thanks for the update Peter.

Just to clarify, this chip is only on the circuitry of the AA and AAA in the Arc product line? No other Arc products use this chip in their boards?

BobG

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for update.

I have a AAA that exhibits this problem, but I am not really inclined to exchange it. However, is there any indication that the problem will worsen with time? Right now it always lights on the second try and that does not bother me to the point of having it replaced. If a year from now it will fail altogether then maybe I will replace it now. If it is likely to just remain in its present condition I would just as soon keep it rather than hassle Arc over a relatively minor problem (to me). Also would there be a way to exchange just the head, if I do return it? the tube is getting beat up (just normal stuff) and I would feel funny about getting a whole new light.
Bob G.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bob, I would encourage you to have us replace it because it has our name on it. We have no data indicating the problem gets worse over time although colder weather may cause it to be more sensitive until it warms up.

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic
Peter, it's great to hear that this issue may finally be done with.

I have an AAA that exhibits the problem only with certain types of batteries (cheap zinc carbons), as I've mentioned before. It never happens with Duracells. Does the new info about the chip problems cast any light on this weirdness?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The defective chip is less likely to startup at lower voltages. Lower voltages can be caused by changes in the cell, contact resistance, ambient temp, etc. So yes, different brands could account for this.

There is also a random state that the chip can get into if you turn on the power for a few seconds, turn off the power for 5-20 seconds and then attempt to turn the power back on. The light will fail to turn on the last time. But if you let is sit off for another minute or so, it will again turn back on when you give it a try. This may also be affected by temp, battery types, contact resistance, etc although making that correlation is more difficult.

The new chips have been proven in tests so far to not have these problems.

Peter

simbad

Enlightened
Thank you for the news Peter, I have a unit with the problem also, only does it once every twenty or more times, I would like to replace it when you can, I can wait.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
How and when should we return our lights? Will this cover a AAA-UV as well?
(bought in June 2003)

03lab

Enlightened
I have had no luck with my AAA so far. I was first very reluctant to send it back because it was brand new and I didn't want to pay for shipping again. I finally returned it three weeks ago and now it seems as though it got lost in the mail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Maybe I should have just gotten a new one in April. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

sygyzy

Enlightened
It's interesting you say this beceause I have noticed this on my unit. Sometimes I twist it on and nothing happens. So I have to back it out a bit then try again. It always works on the second or third try. I really didn't think much of it since it doesn't take too much extra time to fix it.

If I send in my Limited Edition HA AAA, can it be replaced with the same model?

Heimdall

Newly Enlightened
I have the same problem with my AAA Premium. I would like to replace it when the never version is available.

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Background

At first they were cautious about admitting anything but finally after quite a few tests they revealed that a larger customer had reported problems and they had already made changes to the current production silicon.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you just love it when they finally admit that "hey, maybe you aren't an idiot, and do know what you are talking about after all".

Glad to hear the situation seems to be under control. I haven't seen any wierdnesses in my AAA-PE, but I will keep my peepers peeled, JIC.

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed this on 3 of 4 of my Arc AA/AAA units.

One is every third try and the others are perhaps every 10 to 20 attempts. Peter, do you really want every unit that displays this at all?

Please let us know when you have replacement units available. I use these too often to just ship them out for eventual replacement.

jbk

Fazookus

Newly Enlightened
My almost new AAA Premium has exactly the problem... if possible I'd like to hold off returning it until a replacement is going to be available, since the problem isn't super serious.

Actually I'm tempted to try to take the thing apart and take a look at that chip... dang thing must be tiny. Hey, can you post a picture of the chip? That would be interesting.

Faz

paulr

Flashaholic
Is there a way to tell what version of the chip a given light has, by visual inspection or with a simple bench test? Thanks.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not really. Even if you sent it back and we ran it through all the tests, we still wouldn't know because a certain percentage act normal.

But if you turn it on an off a bunch of times firmly and one time it fails to come on but the next time it works fine, then it might have the bad chip.

Peter

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Peter, my AAA was bought 14 months ago. It's exhibited the problem mainly in cold conditions. I have to unscrew and replace the head to get it to come on. Was this chip being used that long ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.