Folomov EDC C1

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got this one in; Brass, 10440, super high CRI (96CRI!) and Tail E Switch.

It's my first light with an Nichia E21A LED and I'm impressed. This one is on the warm side but it's a really beautiful beam. And at 330 claimed lumens on turbo it's pretty impressive for such a small light. The brass finish is really unique too, either heavily stonewashed or blasted, very cool matte look. Almost FDE

TdBB667.jpg

lSvBRSR.jpg

kDvbTuP.jpg

lYXk9Dm.jpg

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of brass or copper but this one ticked all of the right boxes. Got one in on backorder. :D

Finkin

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a fan of brass or copper but this one ticked all of the right boxes. Got one in on backorder. :D

Unfortunately not ticking all mine. Missing:
- important: a hole at the tail side for a keyring;
- less important: an option to attach the clip in the other direction;
- aluminium body.

Congrats tho

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rear clicky don't go well on a keychain, so i'm fine with no hole for keychain attachment. Does this light use pwm? Thats the one thing i want to know before i order.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rear clicky don't go well on a keychain, so i'm fine with no hole for keychain attachment. Does this light use pwm? Thats the one thing i want to know before i order.

I can't detect any pwm with my phone camera or shaking it. Maybe wait for maukka's review if that's a make it or break it deal.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I just checked out their website, and could not find this light anywhere...
How did you guys find this?

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Never mind. I found it on illumination supply's website. It appears this light will only run on 10440 lithium and Ni-MH is not an option?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm impressed that it's only 34g in brass - only 4g heavier with battery than my current aluminum AAA light that I use for hat brim use.

It appears to have the same UI as my Folomov 18650S had, which I never warmed up to. I prefer L M H L M H, rather than L M H M L, but I may end up getting one anyway, if they've fixed the bug when going from moonlight to the memorized mode. My 18650S would usually go to Turbo from moonlight, regardless of what the memorized mode was.

I'd also prefer a more neutral tint of 4000 or 5000K, but I'll wait for some reviews and beam shots before making a decision for or against buying one.

The mode spacings are about ideal for me in a light this size.

I think that a NiMh version without Turbo would also be popular. The advertised run times for the other modes are similar to other AAA lights on NiMh batteries.

Thanks for bringing this light to my attention.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm impressed that it's only 34g in brass - only 4g heavier with battery than my current aluminum AAA light that I use for hat brim use.

It appears to have the same UI as my Folomov 18650S had, which I never warmed up to. I prefer L M H L M H, rather than L M H M L, but I may end up getting one anyway, if they've fixed the bug when going from moonlight to the memorized mode. My 18650S would usually go to Turbo from moonlight, regardless of what the memorized mode was.

I'd also prefer a more neutral tint of 4000 or 5000K, but I'll wait for some reviews and beam shots before making a decision for or against buying one.

The mode spacings are about ideal for me in a light this size.

I think that a NiMh version without Turbo would also be popular. The advertised run times for the other modes are similar to other AAA lights on NiMh batteries.

Thanks for bringing this light to my attention.

Agree about the weight, much light than I expected.

Can confirm that it goes from moonlight to memorized mode.

The tint is very warm, CRI is amazing but I can see people not liking it due to CCT

Agree about your other points really. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the lack of ability to tailstand, it's unfortunate.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

correct on the UI sequence including LMHML
moon cannot be memorized, I wish it could, but I dont expect that to happen.
the memorized mode and direction comes after moon, not turbo
example, light was previously off at medium, of the HML ramp, moon starts top left, sequence moves top row right, then bottom row. Note this is a proof of concept prototype for testing purposes and I expect the final production model's lumen levels will match specs:
9JchGoM.png

UI uses click on, click to advance modes, hold for off. Hold from off to access moonlight. Double click for turbo works the same from on or off, double click again for strobe. There are other blinkies, and a second Tactical mode group I dont normally use, that gives only turbo (both momentary and constant) plus strobe.

the Folomov is thinner than my Olight i3s and Maratac, and my sample of the C1 does tailstand, carefully.
tUjgweD.jpg

s0mU0OT.jpg

Folomov is cooler than incandescent 3000k, but warmer than 4000k, iPhone photo with auto white balance
kdQEawyl.jpg

standing 11 feet away, iphone auto white balance, each shot is separate, so white balance may not match daylight, and may not match between shots:
Mh6ytbj.jpg

oOP7zVi.jpg

6mDI1uI.jpg

same LEDs as above, but all leds shot in the same frame, still auto white balance iphone, so not necessarily daylight white balance, but all 3 beams use the same white balance, which means the relative colors you see are realistic, compared to each other:
lnRQO7q.png

white balance and relative colors is a complicated topic, and what we see changes based on what our brain is comparing to at the time. That is also true for the above photos. The Colors of the single beam shots, dont match the colors of the photo of the three beams together, and that is also true for our brain. Any of these LEDs could look white to our brain if it was the only light source and we had 30 or more minutes of adaptation.

In practical terms, during the day this LED will look much warmer. Waking up in the dark, the warmer ones are more pleasant. I like both a cooler LED during the day, and a warmer LED at night. This C1, for me, is a very nice CCT at night. Bear in mind my house lighting is 3000k incadescent, so my brain sees the Folomov as very similar, and even slightly brighter, or whiter, since it is maybe 300 CCT cooler than my ambient. The 2 lumen moon mode in my prototype sample is too bright when I wake in the dark, I look forward to the production model having the 0.5 lumen level specified in the manual.

No PWM, no visible flicker. The light is Constant Current with varying amounts constant current ripple that can be photographed, but is not visible to the naked eye, neither still, nor by waving.

Im testing a prototype, it does not match published lumen specs, but hopefully that will change in the future.
On my sample, moon is 2 lumens (spec is 0.5), low is 19 lumens (spec is 8 but in this case I actually prefer 19, medium is 46 lumens (close enough to spec of 40), and turbo is 265 lumens direct drive (not quite 335 lumens, but I dont care, turbo does not interest me, I would gladly give it up for eneloop compatibility), and after 30 seconds it is at 105 lumens and continues dropping.

The moon mode ripple is barely photographable, and only at a very specific distance

the low mode drives my iphone nuts, but only at a very specific distance, dont watch this if strobes bother you

the medium mode is more easily photographed

I did not test high and turbo for photo ripple.

I like the switch, I like the beam, and I like the LED and form factor of the light. I wish the UI was like my Olight i3s, and I wish the brass was raw, and I wish the light worked on eneloop and had no Turbo. No light is perfect, but this is still a fun light and I like having a warm LED option, and I really like the High CRI. I like how clean, tight and defined the hotspot is, but would prefer a full flood beam with no hotspot.

I like that the light includes a USB rechargeable battery, and though it does not include a charging cable, I already had one for my Olight S1 Mini, that costs a lot more, and has much worse CRI. The Olight also has photographable constant current ripple, that I CAN see by waving. Removing the C1 clip scratches the finish, but the same is true for my Olights.

I wish the light had a keyring attachment that doubled as an antiroll device, but I personally dont keep a light on my keys, and the clip doubles as an anti roll. I happen to like hat clips, though I dont usually carry clipped to my pocket. I prefer to drop into a dedicated pocket, and this C1 disappears in my jeans coin pocket.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the additional info and beam shots jon_slider👍

I'm glad that the UI works properly going from moonlight to memorized mode.

I also hope that moonlight on the production unit is closer to the .5 lumens in the specs, rather than your measured 2 lumens.

If I bought the light, I may apply DC fix to the lens to soften hot spot for hands free use.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I bought the light, I may apply DC fix to the lens to soften hot spot for hands free use.
That is also a great option.

Even as is, the light works great as a mouth lamp, and tucked under a hat, even when not clipped to a hat. Even though the moon is higher than spec I was able to shield it in my fist and just use part of the spill beam, as a wake for bathroom light.

It also worked to check outside to see to the end of the yard and up and down the driveway in the dark of night using Turbo by double tap. The tactical mode even makes Turbo available as momentary on. Its a powerhouse, much brighter than my Eneloop AAA lights.

This is my first 10440 light and Im impressed! I also really like that the included battery is USB rechargeable. Extremely versatile, powerful, and Im very happy to own it. Thumbs up!

Last edited:

woodentsick

Enlightened
Just ordered one -- my first new flashlight in years! I was on a rather long (7 years :faint:) hiatus from CPF, haha. When I first saw the ad on FB, it almost looked too good to be true! Glad it's living up to the hype, and I'm looking forward to playing with it :)

Last edited: