Flashlight Self Defense Book ?

paulr

Flashaholic
Try "Heads-Up Baseball" by Tom Hanson. Best flashlight for this type of use is a 6D Mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yawara stick-type tactics work with the smaller SF-sized lights.

Paul's right about the 6D Mag. Go for a home run with one of those things and you'll be safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fight at Night by Andy Stanford
Defensive Tactics with Flashlights by John G Peters

--dan

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to point out that unless you practice these techniqes (often daily), and think about them frequently, it will most likely be an exercise in futility. If a person doesn't have the ability to dedicate this time to training you would be better off with something else. Remember 12 gauges beats 1 assailant every time.

haertig

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]I have Peters' book (from way back when I used to be a paramedic). It is mostly concerned with law enforcement use of larger flashlights (Mag, etc.) from what I remember. And from there, how to use the flashlight more or less as I'd guess you would use a nightstick or baton (I'm not a police officer). Lots of discussion on the legal implications. Lots of warning not to just go wailing on some guy's head with your flashlight. Not a bad book, but IMHO not terribly practical for non-law enforcement training.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
--dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the name, but I have trouble finding them here in Canada. Are those two books widely available in the US?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will not find a book that teaches soley the use of a flashlight. Flashlights are useless as defensive tools alone. They are intended to be used in conjunction with a firearm and maybe pepper spray.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Yeah, I have a pepper spray, actually bear mace. I go hiking in Banff a lot during the summer and I carry a bear mace when I go. Its content is Oleoresin Capsicum which is pretty much the same thing as pepper spray in a bigger container.

Gun are illegal in Canada so the bear mace will do (I hope). However, knowing techniques on how to use the spray combined with my Scorpion should enough to hold back an attacker.

However, I only EDC a small light. Carrying a small fire extinguisher around is no fun...

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I wouldn't go so far as to say "flashlights were useless as defensive tools alone", although I'd certainly rather be using something more effective at incapacitating an attacker that I couldn't run from.

Awhile back, I acquired an interesting book with many pages on using a 4 D cell M@g defensively as a striking, blocking, punching etc tool (ch. 11 in "A Practical Self Defense Guide for Women", by Paul McCallum, Betterway Publications, 1991). It is heavily illustrated.

utomatoe

Enlightened
Humm... i think mace is illegal too? Aren't all personal defense weapons banned?

Edit: Ok, looks like they are only legal if it's for animal control. So I guess a pocket cattle prod (if there is such a beast), would be legal as well.

Of course, if you live in an urban area, you have little excuse for possessing one, let only carrying it around with you everyday...

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, Canada. Politicians have made the streets safe for muggers and rapists.

What's your life worth?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Yeah, probably bear mace is illegal in town. But since I keep it in the house and it never leave home unless I'm going hiking, I think that I'm okay. However, I do keep it by my bed side with my Scorpion just in case (I don't play baseball so I have no baseball bat).

At this moment, I EDC and Arc 4+ and I'm hoping to find an aggressive bezel to put on it just in case something happen when I'm away from home.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the two standard recommendations. My impressions ... the Peters book is geared towards bigger flashlights, from what I remember. If by "tactical flashlights" you mean a SF-sized flashlight, it's less interesting. In addition, though I'm a big fan of Andy Stanford's shooting books, I feel that Fight at Night is very very weak. It's such a high-level overview and covers so many broad topics with such little depth, that I can't imagine who it would be interesting to. If what you're interested in is using a tactical light in conjunction with a handgun, the few pages in Suarez's Tactical Advantage that cover this are better than Standford's entire book. Not a comment on Stanford's skills or his other books; I'm certain he could do a great job on a more advanced book if he wanted to.

If you want to learn tactical flashlight techniques if you don't have a handgun, by far your best bet is to use the internet. There are a few forums in particular where there are very knowledge people. You can ask questions in the Glocktalk tactical forum (www.glocktalk.com (go to www.glocktalk.com and click on the "Tactics and Training" forum), or Gabe Suarez's forums (www.warriortalk.com, click on the "Knives and Sticks" forum and "Low Light Gunfighting" forum), or selfdefenseforums.com (spend some time searching the archives before you ask questions; people there lose patience if you're too lazy to use the search function to see what's already been written). In addition, and perhaps most importantly, www.strategosforum.com, which is the home of the Strategos discussion forums. Should be obvious where to ask questions.

Joe