ArmyTek        

Thread: AAA thrower

Default AAA thrower

Iíve been searching the web for the farthest throwing 1 or 2x aaa clicky penlight. Itís for an edc light and would clip in the corner of my back pocket next to my wallet. Only requirements are running off a lithium primary aaa, a good pocket clip, comes on high first, and it must be reliable. So far Iíve found the pelican 1920 and asp scribe, both at 81m. The peak eager ultra seems like it might have good throw but havenít heard back yet from them (would need to buy the tail switch and a pocket clip). Then thereís a powertac sabre at 111m but not sure about the reliability, havenít heard of them before. I realize ansi beam distance is gonna be overly optimistic but it works for comparison purposes pretty well. Any recommendations for something that will punch out pretty far in this format? Thank you!

Default Re: AAA thrower

By definition, a AAA flashlight is unlikely to have a ton of power, so that form factor tends not to emphasize or maximize throw.

Additionally, increasing throw is typically done with a larger reflector, which negates the compact size of an otherwise tiny light.

If you consider a 10440 powered torch to be in this group, I would guess the (long discontinued) MBI HF-R ZoomHead might be a contender. It increases power by using Li-Ion batteries, and increases throw with an aspheric lens.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

I haven't done any comparisons or measurements, but in an aaa I like my skywolfeye 1xAA ultra cheap zoomie. For a given head size asphericals do pretty well

Single AAs works too, the led lenser t5.2 has 120m of throw. Are there any other aspherics in this battery format?

No clicky nor clip, but the LensLight Micro is an aspheric AAA which runs on standard cells.

Ended up buying the discontinued led lenser p3 afs p for 20 bucks on ebay. 120m with 1 AAA battery. I think that's about as far a non rechargeable one will throw.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    No clicky nor clip, but the LensLight Micro is an aspheric AAA which runs on standard cells.
    Lenslight micro is 40 lumen, and cant be fully focused for throw. Got a broken one, worked for some months, and both the seller and manufacturer did not answer my mails..
    The xq-e hi led will make small aaa lights throw. But no one makes a aaa light with this led. Nitecore got a 2xaaa xq-e penlight, but not the domeless version.
    Got a tool ti modded with a 4000K xq-e hi, my favorite aaa light. I wish i had a smooth reflector for this.
    Last edited by jorn; 02-09-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jorn View Post
    Lenslight micro is 40 lumen, and cant be fully focused for throw. Got a broken one, worked for some months, and both the seller and manufacturer did not answer my mails....
    I don't know the details, but I haven't seen any new stock released by LensLight over the past year or two.

I have been wondering about the status of their flashlight product line for some time now ....

My Nitecore MT06 throws quite well for a 2AAA light, but theyíre out of production.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LightObsession View Post
    My Nitecore MT06 throws quite well for a 2AAA light, but theyíre out of production.
    Yep that's the one that comes stock with a qx-e led. They changed it to nichia.

Flashaholic*

Just remembered the old throw king, the l3 illumination 08. It's a twisty. Just ordered one. I guess it will be the aaa throw king with one of my leftover qx-e hi leds. But i'm more interested on how it will scream with a 10440 Now i cant wait for the 14 day shipping...

Yep that's the one that comes stock with a qx-e led. They changed it to nichia.
    The MT06 never had a Nichia. It was also only two output modes.

The MT06MD is not just the same host with a different emitter.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LightObsession View Post
    The MT06 never had a Nichia. It was also only two output modes.

The MT06MD is not just the same host with a different emitter.
    3 mode driver and different led. host looks the same, even the reflector looks the same.

3 mode driver and different led. host looks the same, even the reflector looks the same.
    I agree that the host looks similar, if not the same. I have both lights. The user experience for the two lights is much different. They should have kept producing the MT06.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Zamp View Post
    Single AAs works too, the led lenser t5.2 has 120m of throw. Are there any other aspherics in this battery format?
    You may want to take a look at Coast hx5. It is a focusable 1xAA light, not a true aspheric, but reaches pretty far in the thrower mode. Single mode only

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    You may want to take a look at Coast hx5. It is a focusable 1xAA light, not a true aspheric, but reaches pretty far in the thrower mode. Single mode only
    The HX5 has a nice quality beam, but doesnít throw like the MT06 or the 2AAA zoomie from Rural King thatís $4.99.

The HX5 is my most used light.