How is "Lockout Mode" supposed to work?

d2eux

Newly Enlightened
I've tried using lockout mode with 3 different Inforce lights. I'm not sure if there is a limit to how long lockout mode lasts, but it seems like the batteries still drain regardless. Is there usually a limit as to how long a light can be in lockout mode before batteries drain? don't think a time limit was ever specified in the instructions.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried using lockout mode with 3 different Inforce lights. I'm not sure if there is a limit to how long lockout mode lasts, but it seems like the batteries still drain regardless. Is there usually a limit as to how long a light can be in lockout mode before batteries drain? don't think a time limit was ever specified in the instructions.
The InForce TFx specification indicates "lockout systems: tailcap rotation". So if you rotate the cap counterclockwise, it breaks the circuit and prevents the light switch from activating the light. In this situation, the battery should have no parasitic drain cause from the flashlight. Now if you're talking about the weapon mount lights, some say "head rotation" and others "safety lever." I don't know if that completely breaks the circuit. There may be some parasitic drain. But before going deeper into it, you may want to check your batteries. I don't know which brand/model you have and how old, but it's possible for batteries to self-discharge. If you have some lights from other brands that use the same batteries and have a physical lockout, you may want to try that out and see if the batteries still drain to rule out that possibility.

parametrek

Enlightened
I presume you are talking about lockouts for lights with electronic switches? That is what I'll be talking about.

Generally speaking the lockout does nothing to extend battery life. It is for prevent accidental activation. In few rare cases (original Nitecore TIP) the lockout greatly accelerates battery drain!

As far as the brain of the light is concerned lockout is the same as off. The microcontroller continues to idle in the background waiting for an activation signal in both cases.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems like the batteries still drain regardless.

"seems like", based on what measuring device?

If you are not already, I suggest you use a voltmeter to check battery voltage, after the battery is rested since the last use cycle.

I you are sure the light is locked out, there is no time limit, and CR123 have very low self discharge rate.

otoh, yes, if you use the 700 lumen level, you probably only get about 1 hour of runtime at full brightness, the 2 hour spec is probably ANSI spec, which allows counting the battery life until the brightness drops to 10% of the starting level.

d2eux

Newly Enlightened
I presume you are talking about lockouts for lights with electronic switches? That is what I'll be talking about.

Generally speaking the lockout does nothing to extend battery life. It is for prevent accidental activation. In few rare cases (original Nitecore TIP) the lockout greatly accelerates battery drain!

As far as the brain of the light is concerned lockout is the same as off.
The microcontroller continues to idle in the background waiting for an activation signal in both cases.

That is what I was confused about. So the batteries are still draining in lockout, and I mistook it to mean otherwise.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is what I was confused about. So the batteries are still draining in lockout, and I mistook it to mean otherwise.

now Im confused
turning the tailcap to break contact is not electronic lockout

which type of lockout are you using?
1. Physical. Breaking contact by unscrewing to physically stop all power from exiting the battery?
Or
2. Electronic. A lockout that involves a technique such as triple clicking an electronic switch that continues to monitor, and waits for another triple click?

please be specific, which exact light and lockout technique are you using?

and
be specific about why you say it "seems" that the batteries are not lasting long enough? How are you determining the batteries are being drained in an abnormal way? Using a high lumen level does drain batteries, possibly faster than seems ideal.

we need specific details, so we can give specific answers.

I agree with both xevious and parametrek, they are both right, for different types of lockouts..
please be specific about what light you are using, and how you are determining the battery drain is not normal

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to ensure a little clarity, as jon_slider pointed out, parametrek was talking about electronic lockout. The implication from "tail cap rotation" for a lockout suggests a physical break, and therefore not an electronic lockout. Rotating the tail cap would sever a physical connection. But maybe it's a different design for InForce? Also, as jon_slider suggested, definitely test your batteries. I scanned the 3 major types of lights sold by InForce, and they all use CR123A cells. As jon_slider said, those cells are designed for a very low self discharge rate, and can sit on a shelf for a decade while still holding usable charge.

Are you by any chance using RCR123A cells, rechargeable lithium?

d2eux

Newly Enlightened
now Im confused
turning the tailcap to break contact is not electronic lockout

which type of lockout are you using?
1. Physical. Breaking contact by unscrewing to physically stop all power from exiting the battery?
Or
2. Electronic. A lockout that involves a technique such as triple clicking an electronic switch that continues to monitor, and waits for another triple click?

please be specific, which exact light and lockout technique are you using?

and
be specific about why you say it "seems" that the batteries are not lasting long enough? How are you determining the batteries are being drained in an abnormal way? Using a high lumen level does drain batteries, possibly faster than seems ideal.

we need specific details, so we can give specific answers.

I agree with both xevious and parametrek, they are both right, for different types of lockouts..
please be specific about what light you are using, and how you are determining the battery drain is not normal

ok no problem. Specific model is "InForce TFx Multi-Function Handheld" 700 lumen. I have not used it for about 2-3 months and had it in lockout mode, where I turned the tailcap beyond a half turn to the point where the 2 surefire c123a cells sit loose (i.e. if you stood the light up on a table, tailcap down, the cells would fall in the direction of the tailcap, and vice versa). In my mind I thought this would prevent the batteries from draining.

my reason for thinking theyvdrained is because the last time I used the light, it was pretty bright, and when I turned it on yesterday for the first time in 2 months, the light turned on momentarily (very dim on high mode) then drained to 0.

If I can provide more detail or clarification I will. The cells were 123a, relatively new Surefires.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those batteries have a long, stable shelf life. If the circuit was physically broken, then the cells were merely being stored inside the device. The most likely explanation for your battery woes is that you exhausted the batteries without realizing it when you last used the light.