Surefire L4 or Arc 4+?

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
Which of these would you get if you had to choose one or the other? From a cost standpoint, they are about the same, with the Arc 4 being a little more.

JK

kaseri

Enlightened
I would go with the Arc4+. More bang for your buck and much easier to EDC in my opnion.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first question I like to ask is what are your needs?

- What are your average illumination tasks? Typical scenes, how far away, size of the image, etc.
- Where do you plan on having the light when you need it?
- What type of enviroment and rough use will the light be subjected to?
- How long will you use it per session?
- Do you have any special considerations as far as batteries, cost, etc?

Peter

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I would get the Arc 4 as a second (around 100.00)
Take the 80.00 you save put it towards a L4.

KDC

Newly Enlightened
The main thing the L4 brings to the test is that it will be brighter. It also has a larger angular size of beam.
The Arc4+ can be bright or dim, your choice, and has a narrower hotspot. It is also smaller and easier to carry.
I have both, and almost always choose to use the Arc4+. The L4 gets pulled out only when I need a broad, bright beam.
If asked to choose only one to have with me, that one would be Arc4+ as it is more often useful.

Reno

Enlightened
L4 wins this contest for me...

Simply put, it's a 1 hour runtime rechargeable w/ Pilas.

Arc hasn't gotten there yet.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
If size isnt a factor, I agree with symes. The U2 will most likely replace my L5, out with the "old" in with the new!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the lights I have ever had, the two (not counting the ArcAAA on my keychain) that remain are the Arc4+ and the Surefire L4.

I like the Arc4+ better because of the multiple brightness levels. I'm constantly using it in different conditions were miltiple brightness levels are extremely helpful.

The L4 is great too, with its wider beam from the 5W emitter. It's just too bright at close range and this results in short battery life. If it only had multiple levels.

I think I will ultimately like the Arc5 will suit my needs best, but we will have to wait and see.

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
I was just about to ask a similar question, trying to pick a new EDC light after trading off my SF E2.

Just curious, at it's brightest, how would you compare the Arc 4 beam to a SF L4?

And what exactly will the Arc 5 be?

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
U2? Please tell me more about the U2. Who is making it? Are there any sites where I can find more information?
As far as either light is concerned, I really don't have any "needs" in the sense that I have any specific use in mind for these. The fact that they are super hi-tech, military looking bright white LED lights really appeals to me. I especially like how the Arc4+ can be programmed and actually has an operating system of sorts. How cool is that? On the other hand, the Surefire appeals to me on the basis that it's backed by a large, well known manufacturer, with a good warranty. I'm not as familiar with the Arc products, but that's just because of my inexperience. Thanks for the great information.

JK

symes

Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=482802&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

should do it for you JK...

Actually the best picture I saw was at:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=525

Basically, Surefire, 2-100 lumens on 2x123s, variable output based on rotating collar as shown in picture...

2 lumens on 2x123s should last a long long time, 100 lumens will be more brief, but handy, plenty of slots in between.

My kinda size, my kinda design...

But as is clear, each have their preference...and you CAN put an Arc4+ in places that the U2 won't fit, but then even with the variable output its only 1W whereas I believe the U2 is 5W. And given the price these Arcs are reaching now, it has to be worth comparing the two...if you are in the market for a variable output high end light.

Simon

Reno

Enlightened
Re: SureFire U2 - currently all I see on the Web

lol, the U2 strikes again! Is it the ultimate EDC? Won't know till late summer...

It sure seems a fitting replacement for the two most expensive, sought after lights on CPF (better be, for that price tag. Sheesh). Just clip it to pocket or belt, and forget you own any other flashlights.

Uses the bigger Pila, too...

chiaroscuro

Enlightened

Perhaps the U2 will be the ultimate large EDC (until the Arc5 comes out) but comparing it to the very pocketable Arc4 ? Well, we shall see...

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened

I have two jobs- during the week I work in the office and EDC an Arc4 second. On weekends I'm a park ranger so having a somewhat larger (but still small by most standards) L4 is great. When I save up for a charger I'll use the L4 more frequently but for now I just use it when I need lots of light. So, my answer is, both.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Arc 4+