QB2L and QB2L-X have different threads??

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've been on this 4sevens kick lately and I just bought a QB2L-X and the head of a QB2L thinking that they were interchangeable. Apparently they are not. QB2L just won't thread on. It catches on for like a quarter of a turn but then binds. Another interesting thing is that the QB2L-X came with the older "4sevens Quark 123^2 Turbo" body. I don't really mind the difference in branding but I'm disappointed that they aren't interchangeable. Does anybody know which body, then, will fit the QB2L head?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's news to me. I thought all the QP/QT/QB threads were the same (new and old logos). Just that the body and tailcap had larger outside diameters on the Turbo models to match up with the bigger head, but they could still lego to the others with a step to the body. Lots of people like the QB tailcap on a QP or QT in order to get a flush forward clicky.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I thought too, but I swear that the QB2L I have will not thread on to the X body that I have, and it doesn't look like it has any damage to the threads. Unless if I received some sort of prototype/pre production sample. I'll send a message out to the vendor that i bought it from. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't misinformed about the interchangeability.

And now that I look at it, the body I have is not an X body since the X body should say "Quark 123^2 TurboX" on it. Mine only says "Quark 123^2 Turbo".

Last edited:
I don't remember the particulars, but I do remember purchasing an earlier body from the Foursevens part bin a few years back and it wouldn't thread onto the head I already had.

~ Chance

Addendum: See post #10

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. If that's the case, they must have made a threading change in the middle of a product cycle? I would have expected the change to happen when they did the overhaul of their products' naming convention, and not otherwise. I don't think the anno would introduce this much interference with the threads. This is a hard stop when I try to thread them together.

Thanks for the reference Chance. I've been reading through that trying to figure out my issue.

I don't remember the particulars, but I do remember purchasing an earlier body from the Foursevens part bin a few years back and it wouldn't thread onto the head I already had. Sometime along the way the thread pattern was changed.

~ Chance

Addendum: Perhaps the issue had to do with the body threads being anodized. Sorry, I just can't remember. :sigh:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I bought a few of the older bodies/ qb2l heads/ qb2a heads from the foursevens deal section a long time ago and had the same problem you had. I decided to just go for it and kept tightening harder and then it went on. Its like the threads just needed to straigtned or something i dont know.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
In any other case I would have said you've cross threaded the threads, but now I'm wondering. So after that the head screwed on and off of other bodies with no issues? Threads looked fine and not mangled? Maybe theres a way for me to measure the pitch of the threads or maybe try to inspect the head to see if there is some obstruction.

I bought a few of the older bodies/ qb2l heads/ qb2a heads from the foursevens deal section a long time ago and had the same problem you had. I decided to just go for it and kept tightening harder and then it went on. Its like the threads just needed to straigtned or something i dont know.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I followed in you footsteps and went for it. And guess what. It WORKED! It took about the same force as opening a jar of tomatoe sauce but it went on. I guess the tolerance of the threads were a little too tight and so it did indeed bind but a bit of force made them comply. And I'm happy to say that the threading action on the QB2L-X still feels just fine.

Im surprised the machining of the threads were that off spec.

T. J. aka Kingofsoles24 on eBay, (a great source for Foursevens lights & parts :thumbsup:) e-mailed that the parts are indeed interchangeable. He stated that the threads must have been a little off.

Disregard my post concerning any thread changes being made from older to newer Foursevens lights. :fail:

~ Chance

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
T. J. aka Kingofsoles24 on eBay, (a great source for Foursevens lights & parts :thumbsup:) e-mailed that the parts are indeed interchangeable. He stated that the threads must have been a little off.

Disregard my post concerning any thread changes being made from older to newer Foursevens lights. :fail:

~ Chance

Indeed he is. If not for him, I wouldn't have acquired as many 47 items that I have already. But thanks for helping me solve my issue Chance. And thanks to all of the others who chimed in with their inputs.

With a working 123^2 Turbo/QB2L in hand, I'm now wondering why I never got into 47s more in the past. It's so refreshing to handle this light.

:eek: In the future I'll wait for Jose and Hondo to chime in. They offered the suggestion and knowledge that proved useful. lovecpf

One of the features I like most in older 4Sevens offerings is the rotate head to switch between mode groups.

badtziscool, Welcome to the club, bud. :wave:

~ Chance

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be due to the anno coating being applied too thick at the bottom of the thread groove. It could also be one made just before a tooling change with a worn cutter. I have seen anno done over a not totally clean part. I looked like freckles in the anno. smoothed them out by scratching then with a utility blade. Does it bind on one of the newer bodies that doesn't have anno on the threads?

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be due to the anno coating being applied too thick at the bottom of the thread groove. It could also be one made just before a tooling change with a worn cutter. I have seen anno done over a not totally clean part. I looked like freckles in the anno. smoothed them out by scratching then with a utility blade. Does it bind on one of the newer bodies that doesn't have anno on the threads?

That very well could be the case. Not sure if you saw my earlier post, but I eventually got it to work by just forcing it on. It would make sense that it could have been from a tooling change or the extra thickness from the anodizing. Unfortunately, I didn't have a newer body to try it on, but I didn't really consider the possibility of some variation between new body vs old body because the old body worked on the QB2L-X head.

Anyone know a 26650 body that fits a quark?

The Maelstrom X10 will.

~ Chance :)

VyMSArN.jpg

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know a 26650 body that fits a quark?
There are none that I'm aware of. This would pose the same problem as the original 18650 tubes had. It becomes unreliably complex to engineer an upsize and down size of threads to accommodate the diameter of the Quark's Head and Body to a larger battery tube. Such a design induces points of possible failure into the assembly with necessary hardware and added Battery circuit contact points between the Switch, Battery, and Head.

There are none that I'm aware of. This would pose the same problem as the original 18650 tubes had. It becomes unreliably complex to engineer an upsize and down size of threads to accommodate the diameter of the Quark's Head and Body to a larger battery tube. Such a design induces points of possible failure into the assembly with necessary hardware and added Battery circuit contact points between the Switch, Battery, and Head.

I just found this - Quark 18650 Tube Assembly photos An excellent primer on the subject at hand.

~ Cg