Need recommendation for EDC with the following conditions:

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody. Thanks in advance for the help. Greatly appreciate it.

I carry a 1xaa or 1xcr123 during the day for EDC, and if I know I'm going to be out at night, it gets upgraded to a 2xAa or 2xCR123/18650. I'm looking for a new nighttime EDC option with the following.

1. Thin. I don't need a huge thrower so no giant bezel. The olight S2R Baton II is pretty much ideal in size (smaller obviously if the light is 2xAA.
2. Tail cap activated. I can live with a side switch as a secondary switch if I must, but it has to at least have a tail cap activation.
3. Carries deep in the pocket. Whether it comes with a deep carry pocket clip or I can order one aftermarket, I don't want it falling out of my pocket.

Bonus points for a reversible pocket clip so it can attach to my hat in a pinch. But that's pretty much it. Essentially I'm looking for an Olight S2R Baton II with a clicky tailswitch rather than side switch.

A larger version of the eagletac D25C would be good too if I could carry it deeper in the pocket.

What do you guys think? Thanks again

Nephron44

Enlightened
Surefire EDCL2-T. Checks all your boxes.

For a cheaper option, a Streamlight 2L-X would also be perfect for your needs. In fact, the 2L-X is deeper carry than the EDCL2-T, so it might work better for you.

Rowdybandit

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up a brand new Lux Pro model LP1042 at Lowes for $15 to replace my Coast G20. Like the G20, it is a penlight as well, but a much brighter 144 Lumens. The end has a slide to focus the beam a bit which is nice. It does get rather hot to hold after a while though as there's nothing to help dissipate the heat. I much prefer the feel and comfort of the Coast G20, but it's just not bright enough to be practical at night.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop Tool AA 2.0. Will use either a single AA or a single 14500. The tail cap switch controls the light, with the standard on/off, serial mode selection function. The tail cap is reversible, and the head and tail cap are interchangeable as well. I EDC a Nitecore EA11 in a belt holster, but I am going to try carrying the Tool clipped to my pocket for a while.

PS: If you are possibly interested in a different night EDC, look at the Nitecore P30. It's my next step up when I think I might need some more throw or more light in my EDC. Not really pocketable unless in cargo pants, but belt carries very nicely, and would work well in a jacket/coat pocket.

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
Surefire EDCL2-T. Checks all your boxes.

For a cheaper option, a Streamlight 2L-X would also be perfect for your needs. In fact, the 2L-X is deeper carry than the EDCL2-T, so it might work better for you.

Love the surefire...just sort of big for EDC IMO. And doesn't carry that deep. But I did not know that light existed, so thanks for the heads up.

Never looked at those streamlights either...but you're right, they check all my boxes. My only hesitation is price. If I have more expensive lights like Klarus and Olight fail on me (usually the switches), how will these fare?

Thanks

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened
Love the surefire...just sort of big for EDC IMO. And doesn't carry that deep. But I did not know that light existed, so thanks for the heads up.

Never looked at those streamlights either...but you're right, they check all my boxes. My only hesitation is price. If I have more expensive lights like Klarus and Olight fail on me (usually the switches), how will these fare?

Thanks

I have carried the EDCL2-T in regular jeans and barely noticed it was there.

As far as the Streamlight switch...any mechanical switch can and will eventually fail. The only switches I have had fail on me were from their older Protac series from years ago. I feel like they have improved their switches since then, as I have never had any issues with my either of my 2L-X lights nor any of my 1L-1AA lights, and I use them harder than my older Streamlights. In any event, Streamlight will send you a new switch if you give them a call.

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
I have carried the EDCL2-T in regular jeans and barely noticed it was there.

As far as the Streamlight switch...any mechanical switch can and will eventually fail. The only switches I have had fail on me were from their older Protac series from years ago. I feel like they have improved their switches since then, as I have never had any issues with my either of my 2L-X lights nor any of my 1L-1AA lights, and I use them harder than my older Streamlights. In any event, Streamlight will send you a new switch if you give them a call.

I appreciate it. I'm gonna give em a go.

Yeah, I understand about switches failing, but I ordered 3 olights over a 3 month period and the M2R side switch works only 60% of the time, and I have the same problem on an S1R. My S2R Baton II has been flawless though.

I'll give these a go.

Thanks

Nephron44

Enlightened
I have no experience with Klarus not Olight, but I have used Streamlights extensively, and I would trust my life to one of their higher end models or the new line of Protacs...for the price, they are hard to beat. I can't justify spending more for other brands anymore.