Streamlight Polytac X: Now with pics for Modernflame and Chauncey Gardiner

scout24

Flashaholic
Don't see much in the way of reviews for Streamlight here, so I figured I'd put some thoughts on screen... :)
So far in 2019, this is the only light I've purchased so I've gotten some hours with it under my belt. It's nylon/plastic, takes a pair of 123 primaries or an 18650, forward clicky with a two way clip.
The lens is glass, and outputs are listed as 35lm low, 260 medium, and 600 on high. There is a gradual dimming on high after a few minutes, down to medium level. Not a lot of mass and a plastic head, so that's ok. 260 with some throw is fine. It has Streamlight's 10-tap programming, which lets you pick from three groups- High only, High-Strobe, and Low, Medium, High. Easy to change, and hard to get to accidentally.
The clip is secured under the bezel, and allows bezel up or down carry. It's a nice cargo or jacket pocket light, but a bit big (for me) for jeans. I did not get the bundle with Streamlight's USB charging 18650, but that is an option. 123's don't rattle much, and every 18650 I own fits. The design of the head only allows for button top cells, so be aware of that. Beam shape and color are acceptable, there is a greenish ring around the hotspot on a whitewall, but it disappears in use. Tint is cool white. There is a threaded collar holding the pill in but I have no desire to remove it. As a toolbox, truck, or dog walking light it's great.
One of the reasons I wanted to check it out is the 18650 capability, this is something I find interesting in a plastic light. I like multipurpose items, and multi-fuel capable lights as storm or emergency prep items. I wanted to see what the voltage floor was, so I installed a single 123 primary with a dummy cell, and let it rip on low level. So far, it's just shy of 22 hours and still putting out 5-6 lumens according to my HDS rotary as comparison. I find this potentially quite useful. I'll keep the thread updated with continued runtimes.
All in all, I'm pretty impressed with this light. It's light, the stippling on the body contributes to good grip, the clip works well, and it's plenty bright. 10-Tap programming is a nice feature, and the versatility of power source makes it a keeper for me. It's not a Surefire G2 with a McClicky switch and Malkoff of your choice for tint and cr-i, but for the price point I think it's a solid value. I paid $46.00 +/- online without the cell with the tan body, but I've seen it under 40 in black. More, obviously, with Streamlight's 18650 cell with usb charging.

I hesitate to call this a "Nitrolon" light, as I believe SF has that term trademarked, but it is very similar in feel to my SF G2's, not a "cheap" feeling plastic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144443229@N06/32112648937/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144443229@N06/47054286441/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144443229@N06/47054283241/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Streamlight Polytac X

I got this light in safety yellow with the usb 18650. I agree that Streamlight did a nice job on this. It feels super solid. Lots of good design features. The tint on mine is more towards the neutral side and the beam is smooth. Makes an ideal glovebox light; 123s in winter, 18650 for the other three seasons (at least here in Connecticut).

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: Streamlight Polytac X

30 hours on a single 123 primary, still a lumen~ish. Level 8 on my HDS Rotary. I'd happily put up the pics I took if flickr would let me... 😡

Well, it's still going on one primary. I'm calling it, and giving it Battery Vampire status. If it'll run 2 days plus continuous on one cell, that's good enough for me. It still turns on at this voltage, too...

Last edited:

LTBL777

Newly Enlightened
Great review, Thanks.
I posted in another thread about my poly tac. I agree wholeheartedly that they are a great value for the price. Reliable and if I loose it it's not the end of the world.
I still remember the SF EB1 that fell out of my pocket somewhere.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks Scout.

Your words provided the only pictures I needed. But then again I own some of Streamlights more modern beam'd lights.

I really like how they've made the low's bright enough to use for 90% of my needs with really, really, really, really long run times. The medium is like a cars headlights and high is like the bright beams.

Last edited:
Reactions: UFO

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe it took me this long to notice this light. It has good features/specs for tough polymer grab-n-go light. The ability to use either cr123's or an 18650 is great. Gotta pick me up one.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked one up tonight. Not a bad light at all. Very solid feeling and the 35 lumens is a very usable level. Kinda reminds me of the output an old 2 cell D light would put out but with nowhere near the runtime.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I really want a 21700 battery version of this light with the same power setting - or maybe increase the low from 35 to 50 lumens. The 21700 would bump up the runtime while only making it slightly larger.

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised this light isn't more popular. I bought the yellow version with included 18650 battery for a family member to use for taking the dog out at night. I programmed it for high only and it's been working out great for them. It's a high quality light and am very pleased with it.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
These days, if it isn't 2500 lumens with a choice of emitters and a ramping UI, it gets no press and no love. No worries, more for me... 😊