fluorescent lamps toxic!!!!

UVLaser

Enlightened
I realy did't know where to post this so I posted here.
I was reading the faq at GE website and it side " Some people wonder if the phosphor, or powder inside the fluorescent lamp, is toxic. The question of toxicity in the phosphors used in fluorescent lamps was eliminated over 50 years ago when GE moved to nontoxic rare earth and halo phosphors in all fluorescent lamps." What was the toxic rare earth element and the halo phosphors that they use to put in the fluorescent lamps? Because I think my dad has 4 of those toxic fluorescent lamps in has basement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

UVLaser

Enlightened
THANKS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Just one more thing what dose this mean? (iirc)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont break them and snort the contents! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
typo fixed

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
As snakebite noted, they do contain mercury vapor. At work they are recycleable hazardoue waste. At home, I bust 'em up to fit in the trash can while trying not to "smell the roses." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

14C

Enlightened
If it IS - Berrylium Oxide (I am not sure) you do not want to mess with BROKEN tubes.
The mecury can be bad but we had to deal with the Berrlyium Oxide particulate stuff when I worked with radar systems. It was clasified as hazmat and the workers that dealt with broken instruments from radar and aircraft had to be fully prepared. That said I do not know what the toxic levels for exposure are or the amounts found in the tubes...
"Caution may be ridiculed but in the present but woefully wished for in hindsight"

http://www.reptox.csst.qc.ca/DetailSimdut.asp?no_produit=43729&nom=Beryllium+oxide&langue=A

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
beo ceramics used in magnetrons and other power tubes can be nasty if broken,ground,or otherwise damaged.
i once observed an idiot at a hamfest busting up a dead 4cx250b with a hammer to see what was inside.
me and a few others backed way away and warned others to do the same.
this guy said we were all nuts if we thought a broken tube was dangerous.
i wonder how much damage he took from that event.
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
If it IS - Berrylium Oxide (I am not sure) you do not want to mess with BROKEN tubes.
The mecury can be bad but we had to deal with the Berrlyium Oxide particulate stuff when I worked with radar systems. It was clasified as hazmat and the workers that dealt with broken instruments from radar and aircraft had to be fully prepared. That said I do not know what the toxic levels for exposure are or the amounts found in the tubes...
"Caution may be ridiculed but in the present but woefully wished for in hindsight"

http://www.reptox.csst.qc.ca/DetailSimdut.asp?no_produit=43729&nom=Beryllium+oxide&langue=A

[/ QUOTE ]

UVLaser

Enlightened
I like the websites alot, Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Snakebite, I never new that magnetrons contns Berrylium Oxide. Magnetrons are in microwaves, is there any possple way that it can leak out of the magnetrons and cover the food. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
uhh.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
only if you break grind or othewise pulverize the ceramic in the base or at the antenna.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
if those tubes are old enough to have the old style phosphor us old vacuum tube collectors would want them just for the heck of it.
so dont toss em send them here.

UVLaser

Enlightened
Snakebite I would love to send you those old lamps, but theres is a problem, my dad wanted to waste them first. I told him about the T5,T8,T12 lamps and the CFL bulbs, But I got nothing form him, meaning that he did't like idea. Just one more thing the lamps are in the basemeant, we use fluorescent lamps in the basemeant, so they are the replacment bulb for the ones being used. Men I wanted to buy a CFL bulb for the living room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
EHS at work had a s**t fit when I ordered some BeCu bar stock for some RF welding dies. The stock had 1-2% Be and I had no intention of grinding it- just milling. I've still got the MSDS in the book. Berylicosis is bad news!

Larry