Malkoff        

Thread: D cells and leaks

Default D cells and leaks

Historically one of my favorite light platforms was the D Cell Maglite. Lots of capacity, easy to use and due to the size hard to misplace. My main concern is leaking alkaline d cells. Now itís true that this can be completely avoided by storing empty but thatís also not very convenient. Only option I can think of is d to aa adaptors with L91s but thatís not very cost effective. Any other thoughts? Good quality adapters to use?

Any thoughts on the least leak probe D cells?

Default Re: D cells and leaks

Nimh Ds are about your only choice but not really cost effective IMO compared to investing in a better battery format and light.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Depends on size of your M*g, you can also use 26650 with matching bulb voltage.
    No leak, low self discharge and high capacity.

There are several good options. For single AA adapters, the current Eneloop branded ones with the closed bottom work pretty good and there are 3AA to D Parallel that also work good although some can be a bit dodgy in quality (test them out before relying on them).

Another option is NiMH D cells - I use 8000 mAh Tenergy Centuras and Soshine 11000 mAh's, with no issues with either, though I don't think they will keep up with Eneloops for low self discharge characteristics (probably best to charge them every 6 mo. or so).

In a 3 cell light, Li-Ions are a good option as well - I sometimes run single protected 18650's in my 3 cell ML300 in adapters that I 3D printed, works great. And like running single AA's, a 18650 in adapters is a lot lighter than using alkalines or NiMH D cells.