NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        

Thread: Sentimental light?

Default Sentimental light?

Who has a light that may not be the brightest or nicest or in the best shape but holds a special place in your hart and will never part with?

Mine is an HDS U60 with a 17670 body. I have used this light exclusively to put my 3 girls to bed with every night.For 14 years. My 3 year old is now the last in this line.It has been used for potty calls at midnight. 2AM diaper changes a safeguard to keep monsters away and finding lost things under beds. My little one calls it the daddy light and will not go to bed without it standing guard on the night stand ready to chase away bumps in the night and to find her favorite sleeping bearĒgummyĒ when it gets lost in the covers lol. Itís not my best but it is certainly a light that I would never part with. For both good and bad memories it reminds me of 😄.

Who else has a light they keep because it has become part of the family?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Sentimental light?

i had jason of prometheus fame make a bespoke copper light for me several years ago now. it was one of the last bespoke lights he has done i believe. it has always been my favorite light.

Mine is my first light purchased from Vinh Nguyen (Skylumen) an Eagletac S200C2vn XPG2 PDT 4000K driverVN. Never will part with it. Even before it was delivered, I ordered another from him, a Niwalker MM18vn 2@XHP70 NW+ XML2 U3 PDTn. Over two dozen Vinh modified lights later, I'm still perusing Skylumen website, LOL.
    Last edited by MAD777; 02-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.

My Original Night-Ops Gladius -was- that light, but then someone on the forum did a fantastic LED upgrade on it so now itís back in play and able to shine with the best of them!
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

My Surefire Kroma was my first real light. I've had it for about 1/3 of my life and I've taken it everywhere. Its still my night table light and has been this whole time. Many amazing memories.

This pair of Streamlight for me!
    Incandescent and still work but I have crappy LED drop-ins in them now for no good reason really.

Last edited by AVService; 02-11-2019 at 03:23 PM.

My Nitecore Extreme Infinity,
    This was my first "real" flashlight!
    Attached Images Attached Images

McGizmo PD. It's pretty much a shelf queen that happens to sit on the nightstand wherever I sleep.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

A very sentimental light, with a very sentimental mug... 👍

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144443...posted-public/
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Who has a light that may not be the brightest or nicest or in the best shape but holds a special place in your hart and will never part with?
    this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMcZvT21wd0

and sadly I gave it away

brand new mint surefire e1l with kx1b head with two way pocket clip and GITD oring.

My website: www.preachertony.com
    My radio show: The Bible Broadcast
    My life story and mother's murder in Concealed Carry Magazine: "Good from Evil"

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    McGizmo PD. It's pretty much a shelf queen that happens to sit on the nightstand wherever I sleep.
    Same here, my Ti PD I got in March 2007. Grave light.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Same here, my Ti PD I got in March 2007. Grave light.
    That's what Jerry Seinfeld said about one of his Porsches - "You don't get to buy one of these until somebody dies."

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post

That's what Jerry Seinfeld said about one of his Porsches - "You don't get to buy one of these until somebody dies."

~ Chance
    Oh no... this reminds me of my Blue Label Alpha from Prometheus Lights. I was on the E-mail list for months and months, over a year. I could never open the E-mail and order my light fast enough. They would always sell out too fast. Then one day CPF member Sparkyís Magic real name John Henry, passed away, and his wife was selling his lights to help pay funeral costs. There it was. The Alpha Blue Label exactly as I wanted it. Stonewashed finish, 4000k MCE. I joke that all of my lights come to die with me, but someday it will be the other way around. I take extra special care of that light, I was so upset the one and only time I dropped it. Although I didnít know him personally, I think of John Henry whenever I use my Blue Label.
    Godspeed, John.

Mine is a heavily modded budget zoomie.

I started with a small and extremely rare 18650 budget zoom flashlight: the Aleto N8. Only ever found it from 1 supplier on Ebay and when that supplier stopped carrying it never saw it since. It was a fairly standard cheap zoom flashlight with XML. But it was nice in that it was very small (106 mm), and had heatsink fins on the tube and not the head.

I heavily modded it with the following:
    * removed tailcap switch and added a sideswitch
    * removed 18mm aspheric lens and replaced it with a fresnel lens with glass lens on top.
    * added copper slug into hollow pill
    * removed gold-colored type II anodizing and recoated the light with grey Duracoat.
    * Replaced emitter with neutral tint XPL HI
    * Replaced driver with FET driver from Mountain Electronics.
    * Shortened pill

I made a game of seeing just how short I could make the light. Managed to get it to 89mm ... which is pretty much unheard of for an 18650 zoomie. Unfortunately, I got a little carried away with making it short and took a few too many threads off the tail. The light works fine, but probably isn't very durable. Also, the aspheric lens might be compact, but it is a lot less throwy than a similar sized aspheric lens.

I don't think I'll EDC this light again due to how fragile it is and how the switch isn't waterproof. Still it was a fun project and quite an ambitious mod. Since I spent so much time working on it I feel sentimental about it.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    A very sentimental light, with a very sentimental mug... 👍

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144443...posted-public/
    My two most sentimental lights.

Each one found its way onto a coffee cup.

Left mug contains a 1980's Bright Star made generic gifted to me by Mr24. Also in the mug is my favorite LED flashlight, my first PKDL FL2 LE ( which made its way onto the right mug.)
    John 3:16

Great thread!

The very first flashlight that I can remember is the one that was on my dad's keychain when I was very small. Turns out that it was a MagLite Solitaire.

Nearly thirty years later, that light is in my possession. I'm embarrassed to say that it's stored away right now and I'm not 100% sure where it is off the top of my head, but this thread has spurred me to go find it.

Also, a gray MagLite 2D LED was the very first powerful light that I ever owned. Its purchase came shortly after my discovery of CPF. I didn't use it long because I found Fenix very shortly after, but it was still my very first "enthusiast" purchase, so it will always have a special place in my heart.

My SF 6PL. It was my first quality light.

I would say that would be my Spyglass ...

https://i.imgur.com/DddilRy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XVKEiW8.jpg

... as it is a full custom made for me personally, by one of my very best CPF friends, @calipsoii

His WIP thread for this torch is, in my opinion, one of the all-time classic CPF "build threads" ...

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...e-1-5V-Project

Thanks again, brother !
    Last edited by archimedes; 02-12-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Grijon's post reminded me of one I'm fond of. When I was a little kid my pop used to let me "hold the light" while he replaced a tube in the tv, repaired his truck or other tasks. It was an honor.

It was a 2 or 3D Kel-Lite knock off by Radio Shack that mimic'd the 1st gen model with a head that copied the (mid-sized) 2nd gen model.

One day I grew up and moved away and have no idea whatever happened to that light. When I met Don Keller I asked him about that knock off. He said a movie producer had recently asked him to supply 10 for an upcoming movie based in the early 70's and he would gladly build #11 for me. So yeah, that one is pretty special. Regretably my pop is no longer with us to see a knock-off of that knock off he had....

It's the second to left one.
    Certs are to show these are genuine lights from Don Keller.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 02-13-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Gee whiz I have a lot of sentimental lights! The first is a 3D Mag I lugged around in the Army in my "pre-flashoholic" days.I have always been a flashoholic but back then I was still in denial. The original INOVA T1 with it's TIROS lens,I stubbornly carried that light long after it was eclipsed in performance by other lights. My QUark 1X123 with a neutral XP-E,my first good all-around EDC with neutral tint. Nitecore EX10 Golden Dragon just because of the unique design and operation. I will stop at five so last but not least my Judco switch Malkoff MD2 with a M60 neutral,wish I had bought a few more of the Judco MD2s.

Truthfully there are a whole bunch of lights I wouldn't part with but I tried to give a "short list" in the spirit of the OP. I am a flashoholic there can never be just one.....
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......