Flickering Tailcap switch on Inova X1

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
I just got my X1 and I'm quite impressed w/ the body and shape. Although the beam is less than perfect, I like it overall.

The problem is that the tailcap switch is hard to use...I always have to press REAL hard to get it to work and it must be 1/8 turn away from the constant on setting. If not, it doesn't turn on or it flickers. Is there any solution to this?

Thanks.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. have you checked to make sure the threads are clean from the black oxidization gunk? Try wiping the threads clean on both the tailcap (as best you can) and the body, and see if it makes a difference...

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now drag a razor blade across the end of the battery tube to remove the residual anodizing and clean the switch/battery contact plate with some isopropyl alcohol. It worked on mine and hopefully it will work on your's. Later.

Dan

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
DW,
If your unit is built like my X5, anodised metal, give this a thought.

Anodizing tends to make the surface less conductive. Check you metal to metal connection on the tail cap.

In my case it's the end of the battery tube to the switch cap. A nice ring shaped patch.

PDan's idea of the razor blade is on target. Examine the contact patch on the very end of the batter tube. Mine looks like it was cleaned with a fine sand paper. Also check the mating contact in the switch cap.

These are personal devices and can collect sweat and grime.

Ive used mine nearly every day out here without a flaw. Iraq is not nice to equipment.

Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
I gave it a try...it works slightly better now...I guess I'll hafta live w/ it. I think the problem is the Duracell batteries, the negative end seems to jut out a lil more than others. That might be the problem. Thanx guys.

luxlover

Banned
Try lightly buffing both the positive and negative terminals of the X1 and the battery, with the rubber eraser on a long thin pencil. This will do more than the isopropyl alcohol, because you will be scuffing it a little. Whatever is there, will surely be rubbed away. Then with the X1 barrel facing down, tap it lightly on a table to have the rubber shavings drop out. Now you may use a Q-tip with the alcohol to make a good electrical contact on the battery terminals and X1 terminals.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
I got it over eBay...shipper was in the states so it would be a huge hassle. Well I got it to work pretty well using everyone techniques. Only thing is the switch is turned very close to constant on but I can live w/ it.

Thanks all.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of my x1s have an intermittent problem. The flickering I can deal with, but often they don't turn on at all. Then a good whack to the head (or a bunch of taps), and it works again for a while. I tried switching out tailcaps but that didn't solve the problem. Any ideas? Also, plunging the battery to loosen the terminal doesn't have any effect, nor does adding some aluminum to the tailcap.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a simple and explicit fix for my flickering X1. I first shorted out the battery to verify that it was a switch as opposed to a board problem.

I thought that the problem had to be that the round metal plate in the tail cap was not making good contact with the end of the X1 body, since there was nothing else to go wrong. The body end looked clean so I roughened the edge of the round plate in the tail cap with the tips of a small pair of pointed scissors. I just put the tips of the scissors very near opposite edges of the round plate and scraped back and forth. I repeated until the edge was visibly scratched/scraped all the way around.

The X1 works great now, and I think it's brighter than when it was new. Worked for me, anyway...

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar with mine, I used alcohol to clean
both the taicap thread and the thread on the torch
also cleaned the battery terminals as well, this fixed the problem. Overal a handy little flashlight.