Prometheus        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

Default Re: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. LED View Post
    Lack of a real moonlight mode (0.07 or preferably lower), itís a deal breaker for any EDC light for me. On top of that, accessible from ďoffĒ without having to cycle any other higher mode to reach it.

On the other hand, I find that a hidden low Hz strobe mode is useful in emergencies, I had a car accident once and it helped me signal other vehicles coming over, so they could slow down and not cause another accident. It was middle of the night, snowing on a narrow, busy road, without cell reception.

Now that you mention it, yes, I have used strobe for the same reason (or close to it). Several years ago I got a call from someone "I knew." They were a few miles away from me and they had mechanical issues with a 4 wheeler on a backstreet, and I went and used strobe again shining at the street so coming cars could see us, we were stuck in the street. Everyone slowed down pretty far back except one person I told everyone to watch out. Then he slammed on the brakes when he finally saw us and drove by slowly and asked if we we're okay. I said. "Yes we're fine". He didn't recognize me then and was embarrassed he almost killed us. (He was a certain type of LEO) A few days later I saw him again while we were both working, I walked over and asked him if he tried to kill me the other night? I explained when and where, and he said that was you? I said yep, he told me sorry man I was on my phone, and would have hit you guys without that strobe. So I guess for non-tactical applications strobe does work, still I hate it. lol.

The person "I knew" might have wished he was killed that night, because last I checked he was doing life in prison after his trial.
    Last edited by CREEXHP70LED; 06-13-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Default Re: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

Well... I must say that I didn't see the whole "life in prison" thing coming!

Quote Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
    Well... I must say that I didn't see the whole "life in prison" thing coming!

I had a high risk job before.
    Last edited by CREEXHP70LED; 06-14-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Unenlightened

Surprised no one mentioned it yet: BAD THREADS! No amount of thread grease can salvage some lights.

Strobe, SOS, fast blink, slow blink modes.

Double or triple button clicks requiring precise timing to access and change those modes.

Internal USB charging.

No memory: that requires you to cycle modes to get where you want to be every single time you turn it on.

No memory: and having to cycle through a strobe function before you can turn it off.

Nonsensical mode cycling: Was that Medium, Moonlight, High, Turbo? Or is it High, Moonlight, Medium, Turbo?

Tail caps too deep and with long throw switches that can only be turned on with a pinkie finger. Use your thumb? Forget it.

Other than that I like flashlights.

Rick

I will not buy a twisty with more than the simple on and off , no multiple modes for me on a twisty anymore.

Strobe mode is absolute cancer, yet for some reason seems to be included as a default in most lights.

Also Throwers/Large flashlights that feature moonlight / low lumens modes are just dumb; no one is using a 1300lm 2x18650 flashlight with 60mm head at 1.5/28 lumens mode.

Flashlights that default to their brightest setting, and ones that require you to cycle through all brightness levels to turn them off.

Flashaholic
    Formerly KE7AYF

I normally won't own a PWM light with exception of the photon freedom. That has served as my back up to my back up for 10ish years and still going.

Second least thing is having to cycle through modes to get to the setting I want, not doing that.

Third, how in the world are you suppose to carry that and actually use it? Looking at you UB3T. I love the light, hate trying to carry it around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side" -ancient Chinese proverb

For me the most important feature is the level of brightness it can achieve. The worst feature, in my opinion, is how the PD35 TAC had a mode of operation denoted as "Tactical" where you could not use the rear switch for signalling any more since it was sequestered into being part of the mode switching UI.

I can't stand any type of mode memory or reverse clickies. I'm not a big fan of e-switches but I can deal if the UI is good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Having to scroll through blinky modes to set the level you want.

No super low mode (< 3 lumen)
    Bill
    Pacific NW

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by wjv View Post
    Having to scroll through blinky modes to set the level you want.

No super low mode (< 3 lumen)
    Amen. Strobes are worthless wastes of time.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

I have several lights thatís Iím going to be offering for sale here soon that Iíve tried to like and just cannot even pretend to enjoy. Their fault? They all have side switches. Canít do it. What I honestly canít stand is on some of them, I have to re-position either my hand or the light in order to turn the light on/off and then to switch between modes. Call me a curmudgeon, but Iíll take my pre-SF lawsuit 4Sevens Tactical lights any day of the week...

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    I have several lights thatís Iím going to be offering for sale here soon that Iíve tried to like and just cannot even pretend to enjoy. Their fault? They all have side switches. Canít do it. What I honestly canít stand is on some of them, I have to re-position either my hand or the light in order to turn the light on/off and then to switch between modes. Call me a curmudgeon, but Iíll take my pre-SF lawsuit 4Sevens Tactical lights any day of the week...
    You're a curmudgeon!

Welcome back, prodigal son! I purchased a few of these from you.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234