ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

Default What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

Playing off the other thread, but is there any feature or features in a flashlight that just makes you turn up your nose and say "no," despite the flashlight perhaps being technically good in other ways?

For me, it's having a long button press to turn it on or off, especially if it's possible to accomplish either on or off with a short click, but the other operation requires a long click. The trend in the industry is to accomplish on/off with a short click, and reserve the double click and long press to for mode changes, so only a minority of flashlights are using a long press for on/off. For me, that means that either a) I'm going to struggle to turn on a flashlight in the heat of the moment if I forget which type it is, or b) if I don't pay close attention, I'm going to accidentally put a flashlight into my pocket on moonlight mode, thinking that it's off. What backwards engineer thought it would be a good idea to make people wait for light anyway?

The other thing I'm finding myself less and less enthused by is having a mode memory with no way to bypass it that could accidentally result in blindingly bright light when not desired, or a flashlight that lacks mode memory not starting in a useful mode. As an example of the latter issue, the BLF A6 firmware is great for an EDC flashlight, but when you put it into a thrower like the C8, all you get is a purpose-built long range flashlight that isn't able to accomplish its purpose with the most efficiency.
    Last edited by koziy; 02-13-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Default Re: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

#1 blue tint & poor CRI
    #2 PWM
    #3 Any start mode other than LMH
    #4 Strobe
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Flashaholic*

Default Re: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

strobe mode, lights that always come in in moonlight, any light with more than 3 modes

Flashaholic*

Mode memory that I can't turn off or bypass. I prefer L-M-H mode ordering, but as long as the starting mode is predictable, I can live with M-L-H or whatever. I make an exception for lights that use a ramping UI since I consider those to be programmable single mode lights.

Crenelations that make a light difficult (or dangerous) to put in my pocket. If I can't easily carry a light, then I'll never use it.

Least important would be the look of the flashlight. I know that some pay hundreds or more for exotic beauties. While I agree that they are dazzling eye candy in daylight, I buy my lights for lumen/lux performance at night. My lights are mostly modded lights & I also pay hundreds for them. Just a matter of preference.

Most disliked feature would be a bad UI, such as long press to OFF or even having a strobe.
    Last edited by MAD777; 02-13-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by koziy View Post
    Playing off the other thread, but is there any feature or features in a flashlight that just makes you turn up your nose and say "no," despite the flashlight perhaps being technically good in other ways?

For me, it's having a long button press to turn it on or off, .
    Lights where the ONLY way to turn the light on is a long-press, IMO that's almost always because the light's button is badly designed, and it's too easy to go on in a pocket (viz. various Nitecore pocket lights, etc). I would not ever consider a light where the only way to turn it on is a press-and-hold. I'm okay with long button press to turn it on, ONLY IF it's an alternative to a single-click on mode. For example, I often like a UI where a single click turns the light on to turbo, whereas press-and-hold turns it on in lowest mode. I especially like it if the light ramps automatically if I continue to mash down the button.

Long press off drives me crazy. 99% of the time it's an automatic deal breaker. A light would have to be otherwise uniquely hit my requirements in order for me to even consider a light that required a long press for off. In fact, in my entire life, last month I bought my very first light with a long-press off. I screw it up often, and am constantly doing a click off, seeing that the only thing that happened is that the mode changed, and then sighing and long-pressing

Yeah, that “long press” for on-off is a killer for me. I’ll take an old school Surefire 6P incan before I rely on a light I can’t flash-and-dash with.
    Dean Venture: "I'll get the flashlights!"
    Hank Venture: "And I'll get the astronaut Ice Cream!"

looksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss by far i also dislike heavy metals like brass or copper or stainless
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Twisty UI - NO!
    Tail switch or rotary - why not!
    Side switch - absolutely!

I wonder how those idiots suppose this light to be carried?

Bezel down? What pocket or sheath will survive that?

Bezel up? Ok, I wish them luck grabbing it in emergency...

Last edited by vadimax; 02-13-2019 at 10:30 AM.

I've never used strobe. None of my friends like to dance.

The most disliked feature is a UI with modes that you have to cycle through while pressing and holding or repeatedly clicking through. Give me a two brightness level gas pedal or a single mode light any day of the week. A selector ring would also be fine. But, having to cycle through modes to get the level I like is the worst. I refuse to buy one unless its a headlamp.

Lights with medium and high modes not spaced far enough apart to tell a lot of difference, many are typical 25%-50%-100%.
    Lights with super low and super high modes with no useable medium modes so it either runs forever dim or very short blinding light
    Lights that make you cycle through strobe and SOS modes to get back to low mode, especially with mode memory.
    Lights with next mode memory, that when you turn them off you start in the next mode every time, rather have no memory instead.
    Lights that you have to cycle through colored LEDs to get to the next mode (like red) when you almost never need to use the color LED.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Regular mode memory. I hate trying to remember what mode my light was on and will guess what will be on next or to cycle through all the modes to get to the one I want.

Hybrid memory where it saves what you are on but next press will go to the beginning of the cycle is ok as it is more predictable.

Unavoidable blinky modes.

Anything over 5000k.
    Disco modes.
    Cycling though modes.
    Mode memory.
    Mechanical clickies.
    Side switches.
    Crenellated bezels.
    Oh, and anything over 5000k

P

Least Important? "Turbo Mode"

Long press to turn on.

Worst idea ever !
    I hate the K 18 for that reason.

Crenellations are mostly useless.

They're really useful for ripping your pockets.
    P

Pressing on button and nothing happens.
    That's my least favorite feature.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Talmadge View Post
    Lights where the ONLY way to turn the light on is a long-press, IMO that's almost always because the light's button is badly designed, and it's too easy to go on in a pocket (viz. various Nitecore pocket lights, etc). I would not ever consider a light where the only way to turn it on is a press-and-hold. I'm okay with long button press to turn it on, ONLY IF it's an alternative to a single-click on mode. For example, I often like a UI where a single click turns the light on to turbo, whereas press-and-hold turns it on in lowest mode. I especially like it if the light ramps automatically if I continue to mash down the button.

Long press off drives me crazy. 99% of the time it's an automatic deal breaker. A light would have to be otherwise uniquely hit my requirements in order for me to even consider a light that required a long press for off. In fact, in my entire life, last month I bought my very first light with a long-press off. I screw it up often, and am constantly doing a click off, seeing that the only thing that happened is that the mode changed, and then sighing and long-pressing
    Yeah, I'm totally OK with it, and I even consider it a beneficial feature, if a flashlight has two ways to turn on, for example a quick click to turn on at one brightness level and a long press to turn on at a different brightness level. But if I can turn it on with a quick click, then I had better be able to turn it off with a quick click or else I'm going to put it in my pocket on moonlight mode by accident sometime.
    Last edited by koziy; 02-13-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Least Important? "Turbo Mode"
    I have found turbo useful, but sort of like it as a more hidden mode as too often lights cannot sustain the output long enough to make it a regularly used mode. I have a headlamp that you have to double click to access the mode and I'm fine with that.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Echoing others:

-Strobe
    -Klingon Bezel
    -PWM

Quote Originally Posted by fresh eddie fresh View Post
    -Klingon Bezel

Is PWM visible on the “quality” drivers? I’m thinking Dr. Jones.

Angry Re: What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

I can't stand visible PWM. If it's barely visible in lowest mode, only noticeable if you concentrate hard, then that's OK if the sacrifice is a notable drop in price. Not acceptable in mid or high modes. Otherwise, direct drive current control is preferred.

I can't stand modes that start on HIGH, without any means of changing it. Thoughtless.

• L-M-H with mode memory -- GOOD
    • M-L-H with mode memory -- OK
    • H-M-L -- BAD, worse without memory

I'm growing less tolerant of lights without a mode memory. But, I'm OK if they have a nice logical progression.

Long press for FULL OFF is OK (meaning, locked out), but not for standard OFF.
    Long press for ON is OK if that's what gets you to moonlight (as with Zebralight old UI).

While I like the Nitecore EA4, I can't stand the switch UI. It is NOT intuitive. It is so easy to do a full click on and go immediately to Turbo. Thoughtless. It requires a half-press to start on last mode. That's annoying. Nitecore was smart to fix this on the EA41. Can't sell the EA4 used for anything more than $20, so no point in it...
    Last edited by xevious; 02-13-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    LIGHT BRANDS IN ROTATION: FW3A, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Lumintop, RovyVon, Olight, Astrolux, Nitecore, NovaTac

Features I dislike in lights:

* Long press for on-off
    * no shortcut to turbo
    * no shortcut to moonlight
    * UI that requires cycling all modes including disco mode just to turn off.
    * Cool white color temp
    * Greenish tint above the black-body line.
    * protruding easy-to-press button in a pocket EDC light (worst offender: Nitecore Concept 1)
    * USB covers that don't stay in their sockets.
    * Crenelations in the head and tail.
    * No knurling
    * Low frequency PWM

Flashaholic

The crap UI found in the fast-n-furious hello kitty glowing-lights-under-the-stanced-car with disco/candle/lava/toilet modes with the added insult of needing click-click-doubleclick-click-hold-wait-click-click interactions to get what you want, yet still can't be set to prevent someone from picking up the light and wildly clicking away resulting in the "programming" being changed.

Usually found on the lumen drag racer darling of the month lights, giving 5 seconds of maximum output before plummeting to actual maximum output.

Two utterly useless characteristics.

Easy. Programming that requires a computer. Mode cycling without direct access to a desired output. Oh, and a nasty cold beam tint with low CRI.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

PWM
    Bad Green or Blue tiny.
    Copper or Brass.
    Complicated mode cycles.
    No mode memory in anything other then L-M-H.
    USB charging that is harmful to the battery or takes forever to recharge.
    In tactical flashlights, mode button that isn’t next to the rear on/off switch and not having stainless steel bezels on both ends of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    ...Usually found on the lumen drag racer darling of the month lights, giving 5 seconds of maximum output before plummeting to actual maximum output....
    I quite like having a burst turbo that can output thousands of lumens from a light way too small to sustain it. It's useful for when I need a lot of light on something and for wowing friends.

However, I agree that 5-seconds of turbo is too low. But something like the Emisar D4 that gives me 20 seconds of turbo before gradually ramping down to a sustained high over the next 30 seconds or so is quite useful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast