Fenix Outfitters        
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Lupine SL AF

  1. #1
    *Flashaholic* kj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,998

    Default Lupine SL AF

    Since it was released, I was looking to get one.
    Did need a front fork mount, because I ride a city bike.
    The Classicmount Lupine offers, doesn't fit the AF version but that problem was tackled by a local metal-shop.

    Installed to light today, and hope darkness will fall soon.
    Will post some in-action pictures later.


  2. #2
    *Flashaholic* kj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,998

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF



    Low: (5W - 600 lumens)


    High: (8W - 1000 lumens)


    High Beam: (16W - 1300 lumens)
    N/A

    Photos taken with a Pixel 3. And I've no idea why Tinypic rotates these pictures
    Last edited by kj2; 03-23-2019 at 04:15 AM.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* Steve K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,785

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Lupine makes some very high quality stuff... it should perform quite well!

    That's a pretty massive lens on that light! That suggests that either the LED is rather large, or it is producing a very tight, focused beam.

    Looking forward to a report on how well it works.
    edit: just saw the beam shots. Looks like it illuminates the ground very evenly and has sharp cutoff at the edges. Fairly wide for a road beam too, so it should be pleasant to use. Very nice!
    Last edited by Steve K; 02-16-2019 at 04:15 PM.

  4. #4
    *Flashaholic* kj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,998

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Lupine makes some very high quality stuff... it should perform quite well!

    That's a pretty massive lens on that light! That suggests that either the LED is rather large, or it is producing a very tight, focused beam.

    Looking forward to a report on how well it works.
    edit: just saw the beam shots. Looks like it illuminates the ground very evenly and has sharp cutoff at the edges. Fairly wide for a road beam too, so it should be pleasant to use. Very nice!
    The SL AF uses 18 Osram Compact CL LEDs. The lens creates a cutoff just like with car headlights. So you won't blind upcoming traffic. The beam is really wide indeed. It lights up evenly indeed and I can see every bump in the road.
    Will report every now and then, how it holds up.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* Steve K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,785

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Osram is one of those LED manufacturers that I don't see mentioned a lot, but now and then I become aware of how active they are in the automotive lighting market. Pretty impressive stuff! I've seen mention of some of their linear LED arrays, which do seem very suitable to making a beam that is wide from side to side, but very narrow from top to bottom.
    Just poking around Osram's web site, I found some automotive LEDs that are fairly tiny... less than 2mm x 2mm, but handle 1.5A.
    https://www.osram.com/os/products/pr...pact_cl_cm.jsp

    It's reassuring to hear that Lupine is still producing quality lights. It seems that the bike forums are full of people buying the cheap Chinese lights, which makes me worry that the high quality, high cost manufacturers like Lupine might not survive.

  6. #6
    *Flashaholic* kj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,998

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Been riding for the last couple of days, more than I normally do. The beam pattern is awesome. It's wider than the Busch&Muller IQ-X that I used before. Pattern is brighter at every point.
    Cut-off is nicely done, and no other road-users flashed/waived/yelled that they were blinded. High-beam is just awesome! I don't have any use for high-beam in the city, other than flash motorist when a dangerous situation occurs.
    But when you're out of the city, on completely dark roads, it's great to have. I tend to use the 5W (600 lumens) most during my ride. Save a bit of battery, and I'm still clearly visible for anyone on the road.

    So far, it has been a good purchase

  7. #7
    *Flashaholic* kj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,998

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    So we're a week and a half further, and still enjoying the light
    Do wish the light-sensor wasn't that sensitive. I cycle to work between 7AM-7:30AM and the light is switching between DRL and Low mode multiple times during my ride. DRL is really enough to be seen, but not to see with.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* Steve K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,785

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    a bit of electrical tape over the sensor will take care of the problem of switching over to DRL mode!
    If you could find some semi-opaque tape, you might be able to adjust it to your desired sensitivity.

    Of course, this might be difficult, depending on the location of the sensor. I've got a dead B&M Eyc, and it looks like they mounted their sensor behind the translucent switch that controls operating modes.

  9. #9
    *Flashaholic* kj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,998

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    a bit of electrical tape over the sensor will take care of the problem of switching over to DRL mode!
    If you could find some semi-opaque tape, you might be able to adjust it to your desired sensitivity.

    Of course, this might be difficult, depending on the location of the sensor. I've got a dead B&M Eyc, and it looks like they mounted their sensor behind the translucent switch that controls operating modes.
    The sensor on the SL AF, is on the back of the light. So, a piece of tape could help. Thanks for thinking

  10. #10

    Thumbs up Re: Lupine SL AF

    Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    The sensor on the SL AF, is on the back of the light. So, a piece of tape could help. Thanks for thinking
    Hi
    I also have the SL-AF and you can set the delay time for the DRL switch over and you can also adjust the light sensor

  11. #11

  12. #12
    *Flashaholic* kj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,998

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul20v View Post
    Hi
    I also have the SL-AF and you can set the delay time for the DRL switch over and you can also adjust the light sensor
    Yes, have read that section in the manual. But I prefer, not to mess with the factory settings
    One button interface, isn't the best to switch settings IMO.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    It's reassuring to hear that Lupine is still producing quality lights. It seems that the bike forums are full of people buying the cheap Chinese lights, which makes me worry that the high quality, high cost manufacturers like Lupine might not survive.
    And not just quality lights, their batteries are solidly built. Despite the price they are the cheapest lights I have, only need to buy them once .

  14. #14

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    kj2, I'm curious how it's made optically-wise. Does it have a reflector inside? How many LEDs are there for low beam? How the reflector (if any) and LEDs are sitting there with respect to the front lens? Things like this.

    Do you know any forum threads with good photos of the insides, with descriptions? (may be you saved some while you were considering buying it?)

  15. #15
    *Flashaholic* kj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,998

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    https://imgur.com/CB5DCEl
    https://imgur.com/58o98vF

    AFAIK the leds are just sitting behind the lens. I don't know if all leds are been used for low- and high-beam. When you select high-beam, the beam does come up.
    So I expect, the top row of leds are been used for high-beam. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

    edit; Lupine has their own forum, but are currently under attack by spam-bots. For some reason they even closed my account so can't see the posts there.
    Last edited by kj2; 08-03-2019 at 10:35 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Thanks for the images!

    Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    the leds are just sitting behind the lens
    Yes, the position of LEDs suggests there's no reflector, LEDs are in focal plane, and the aspherical lens is doing the rest of magic - shapes the light into proper beam pattern. (and the 6 peripheral LEDs are DRL then).

    Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    top row of leds are been used for high-beam.
    The bottom row?

    I know mtb-news.de is a great forum, but couldn't find anything there.

    Thanks again. Something cleared a little.

  17. #17
    Flashaholic angerdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    269

    Lightbulb Re: Lupine SL AF

    Quote Originally Posted by abvgdee View Post
    The bottom row?
    Bottom row is for daylight mode.
    pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/neu-lupine-sl-fur-bosch-900-lumens-internationale-version.62480/

  18. #18
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Since it was released, I was looking to get one.
    Did need a front fork mount, because I ride a city bike.
    The Classicmount Lupine offers, doesn't fit the AF version but that problem was tackled by a local metal-shop.

    Installed to light today, and hope darkness will fall soon.
    Will post some in-action pictures later.

    Hi @kj2, unfortunately, your photos are no longer available. Can you tell me if you had your local metal shop make up a completely new mount or were they able to adapt the Classicmount to work with the SL AF?

  19. #19
    *Flashaholic* kj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,998

    Default Re: Lupine SL AF

    Quote Originally Posted by sstmax View Post
    Hi @kj2, unfortunately, your photos are no longer available. Can you tell me if you had your local metal shop make up a completely new mount or were they able to adapt the Classicmount to work with the SL AF?
    They cut of, one of the 'arms'. That way the light doesn't hit the mount. But since it molded aluminium, it's very difficult to do, without it snapping off.
    My lights is screwed with one screw but it hasn't moved since I installed it.

    Last edited by kj2; 09-24-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •