My brief encounter with Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empedocles

Newly Enlightened
Last week I had to call Arc. My Arc4 was damaged, and Peter told me to send it back for a replacement. I told him how truly happy I was with the light and that I was concerned about getting a replacemnt of lesser whiteness and brightness. "Don't worry," he assured me, "We'll take care of you!"

As we neared the end of our short conversation, he asked me, "Are you going to be okay? Do you have something [a light] to carry?" His tone was so caring and fatherly. It was really quite endearing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, I thought you guys might enjoy hearing about it. We are fortunate to have him on our side.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing. Peter's a good guy, as shown time and time again.

He's one of us, for better or worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter

Flashlight Enthusiast
How was your Arc 4 damaged? (I want to avoid having my new one damaged).

Its great to hear more good things about Arc customer service. If I ever have a problem with an Arc (I doubt I will since they are so well made) I at least have the confidence to know that I will be taken care of.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Empedocles said:
..."Are you going to be okay? Do you have something [a light] to carry?" ...

[/ QUOTE ]

jeesh, what a silly question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

really though, what a great guy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

wombat

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering whose side he'd otherwise be on. He makes lights, we buy them.

Empedocles

Newly Enlightened
.357 --

I think that my incident is a good argument for the switch guard that's coming soon.

I was gesturing wildly, like the madman that I am, and the Arc4 flew out of my hand at a pretty good clip. Right at the floor.

As best as I can determine, it smashed into the ground right on the button. Since the switch is designed to push the battery up through the body of the light, I think that the tip of the battery hammered violently into the inner guts of the circuitry, etc.

The light went into some sort of "distress" mode where it came on, at a lower level, and would not shut off, unless the battery was removed. I disassembled and re-assembled the thing several times, but the damage must have been permanent. Peter says that the light is programmed to by-pass the switch mechanism in the case of such a traumatic event, which is a cool safety feature, if you ask me. However, he said that the light would need to be replaced.

If the button would have been guarded, I'm sure my light would have fared better. I'll have to learn to be a little less dramatic when gesturing while holding a flashlight.

If I were you, I would not be concerned. The Arc4 is practically indestructible. I just happened to be the poor slob who proved that it's not completely indestructible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Empedocles said:
.357 --

I think that my incident is a good argument for the switch guard that's coming soon.

I was gesturing wildly, like the madman that I am, and the Arc4 flew out of my hand at a pretty good clip. Right at the floor.

As best as I can determine, it smashed into the ground right on the button. Since the switch is designed to push the battery up through the body of the light, I think that the tip of the battery hammered violently into the inner guts of the circuitry, etc.

The light went into some sort of "distress" mode where it came on, at a lower level, and would not shut off, unless the battery was removed. I disassembled and re-assembled the thing several times, but the damage must have been permanent. Peter says that the light is programmed to by-pass the switch mechanism in the case of such a traumatic event, which is a cool safety feature, if you ask me. However, he said that the light would need to be replaced.

If the button would have been guarded, I'm sure my light would have fared better. I'll have to learn to be a little less dramatic when gesturing while holding a flashlight.

If I were you, I would not be concerned. The Arc4 is practically indestructible. I just happened to be the poor slob who proved that it's not completely indestructible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In the short time of the Arc4 existance, this is the 2nd or 3rd story I've heard where a single fall pretty much destroyed the switch. It's great that the Arc4 sensed this and stayed on at a lower level, however I'm now questioning the integrity of the switch. I've dropped my LSH many times and have never suffered a permanent switch failure due to the fall. Is there any chance of the Arc4 switch surviving a fall of any magnitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.