SF 6P Drop-in Help Needed

9mmskng

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys, need help upgrading my Surefire 6P Original. I went to rechargeable Li Ion batteries, need an LED bulb that won't blow. I already blew 2 Chinese/ebay bulbs, need something decent. Would like something pretty bright, appx 500 lumens/brighter. Light uses 2 Li Ion batteries, LFP 123A 3.2V each, purchased directly from Surefire, with charger. Batteries say K2 Energy on them, 1.92Wh. That's all the info I have, can you guys recommend an LED bulb for this 6P light/battery combo? Thanks

nbp

Flashaholic
Welcome! Thread moved, and title edited so others will know what the thread is about.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Try Malkoff. I'm not sure how they fair on rechargeables, but I have a 6p with a Malkoff drop in that I run on primaries, and I LOVE it!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, pop a Malkoff M61 in there. It will takes up to 9v and when the combined cells drop below 3.4v the light will start to fade to tell you to put in fresh cells.
It's as robust as your 6P, has a lifetime warranty that actually means something, and a great beam.
P

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
SPORTAC also make a variety of drop ins for the 6P.

The single output ones are suitable for up to 9v.

The dual output versions are only suitable for up to 6v.

The triples are very nice and good value.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very pleased with the CUXM/CUXP drop ins I bought from Mountain Electronics (I have two G2s and a 6P). It is available with either Cree or Nichia emitters, and a choice of orange peel or smooth reflector, with several different sets of mode levels available.They are designed for a single Li-Ion cell only, so two CR123 or Li-Ion cells will let the magic blue smoke out. And if you don't already have a holster, Richard sells a very nice one of those too.

roymail

Enlightened
You can go to the Malkoff Device website and click on CONTACT and input your information and question there. My experience with them has been first class all the way. I've owned several 6P drop-ins, and they are simply the best in my opinion.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
+ 100 on contacting gene through his site. He has ALWAYS emailed me back with an answer no matter how stupid my question was. And I get bored a lot😂😂😂

Nephron44

Enlightened
+ 100 on contacting gene through his site. He has ALWAYS emailed me back with an answer no matter how stupid my question was. And I get bored a lot[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Agree. I emailed the customer service address way past my bedtime, and I was expecting a reply in a few days. I had a reply within an hour...late at night...from Gene himself. If that isn't excellent customer service, idk what is!

olddogrib

Newly Enlightened
I believe I replaced the emitter in mine with the Malkoff M61N, but it's been awhile. I'm not a technoweenie, so I'd confirm through their website. They are first class and if you contact them they'll set you up with what you need, based on your preferences.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really should get a couple of 16650 cells and use those instead. They will have a much longer run time versus the LiFePo cells. Only downside is you will need a different charger for them. I personally use Keeppower 16650s in my 6P and C2.

Most likely you blew those Chinese modules because you over-powered them. A lot of the drop-ins I come across are designed for a single Li-Ion cell running at a max of 4.2 volts fresh off the charger. Whatever drop-in you buy pay special attention to it's operating voltage otherwise you will end up doing the same thing to a more expensive module.

It's kinda like putting a diesel (24volt) battery in your Honda Civic and trying to start it. Suddenly magic smoke appears.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most drop-ins top out at 6v, so if you're running 2x3.2v, that might explain why you're having trouble. The Malkoff M61 series of drop-ins will happily run up to 9v, but they're single mode. If you want multiple modes, the Malkoff M361 tops out at 6v, so you're still in danger.

As lightfooted said above, your life would get much easier if you switch from 2 LiFePo cells to 1 16650 cell. That would open up a whole lot more options and give you more capacity.

--flatline

Latest posts