Surefire E2E HA , or A2 Aviator ?last question

zlast1

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
Wow, what a wakeup call. As a grunt back some years ago, I thought I had the ultimate filed flashlight - a MiniMag. This weekend one of my fellow NCOs showed me his Surefire (didn't get the model #). I'm headed to the land of sand and camels soon, and I'm looking to choose between the 2 subject lights (can't afford both). I know I'll need the red light for night vision. Am I better off with the A2 with red LEDs, or the E2E HA with LED add-on conversion? From what I've read here, they should both hold up pretty well under harsh conditions right?

Thanks

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Re: Surefire E2E HA , or A2 Aviator ?

Welcome to CPF!
Get the A2. Here's a link to Quickbeams review of the A2

CaseyTan

Newly Enlightened

maybe you can consider getting a red LED mod for your minim@g and E2E for brightness.

or a E2E and a inova X5T red LED combination ? as both uses CR123s, just make sure you have enough supply of 123s, only need to carry one type of battery.

Geode

Enlightened

zlast1,

If you want a low level red light, the A2 with red LEDs is great and runs a long time. You have the advantage of the white incandescent beam with a further push of the button.

The E2 with a red filter will save you a bunch of money, but the light will be much brighter than the A2. However,the A2 LEDs will run many hours longer than any incandescent.

If you don't mind two lights, you would do very well with an E2E for white light and throw, and an Inova XT-5 with red LEDs. Combined price for the two plus a couple or three boxes of Surefire batteries will come in at the price of an A2, depending on where you buy.

Safe journey to you.

Flatscan

Enlightened

Hi zlast1, welcome to CPF.

SureFires are very tough lights and should put up with use well, whichever you choose.

Two questions/clarifications:

1) When you say red light for night vision, you mean for dark-adapted eyes, not night vision equipment, right? Green is supposed to be better for NVG applications.

2) Is the LED add-on conversion you're considering the KL1? Would you be planning to change heads between the incandescent and LED, or is one head going to be your primary?

I just got an A2 with white LEDs. My feeling is that I'm going to use the incandescent only very rarely, and the white LEDs help with color rendition the rest of the time.

The two-stage lighting of the A2 is huge, IMO. I think maybe an L4 with a two-stage tailcap is a better comparison.

zlast1

Newly Enlightened

Thanks all. I am going to check out some of these other lights too. Flatscan, you are correct in assuming I meant "for dark-adapted eyes".
I really would prefer not having to switch/change heads.
Come to think of it, I pretty much always had the red filter on my MiniMag. Incandescent was basically just for when we were "in the rear" where noise and light discipline didn't really matter. I suspect it will be the same this time around.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Moneywise it would be hard to beat the Pelican M6, $32.00 from batterystation.com and an X5T for the night apps.

You can buy lots of batteries for the difference in cost.

That said, if you want a single light, the A2 with Red LEDs is awesome. (I have the white LED version and just sent my Brother-In-Law to the sandbox with that plus a red X5T). For good measure, I also sent him with the Pelican M6 with pressure switch and weapon mount.

Good Luck and May God be with you!

Bill

dtrego

Newly Enlightened

How about an Arc 4+ (or 4+ second) with a mag accessory kit? You have 16 levels of brightness available, 1x123 battery instead of 2x123 (batteries may be hard to come by, right?), and no filament bulb to burn out. With the mag lens holder & red lens installed, you have the ability to get 16 levels of red light, too.

Whatever you decide, stay safe over there!

- Dwayne

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

The Surefire L1-HA-RD with the RED LED might be a good choice.
oldgrandpajack

haley1

Enlightened

Some options I've found to work well. A Surefire L1 with a red lense from Bushwacker. Found at most firearms stores, its basically a tip off scope cover with a red lense. Any #1 tipoff scope cover can be modified easily with your GI red lense. This is what I use in the field. Another good option is the Inova X5T with white LED's with a cover. Take an M-4 muzzle cover, cut out the end and cut a GI red filter to fit in the end. This is the cheapest way to go. Also if you really want an A2, get it in white also, and the first idea will work well for this. I've used #1 and 3 extensively and #2 till I found the others. Just make sure you have access to lots of 123's if your going to use the A2 alot, other than the LED's anyway. If you can find one a Dorcy 4 LED, 2AA light works well with standard mini mag accessories. Good luck finding one though. Good luck and if you have any other questions PM me. I've worked many years in field ops so I have some experience in what works. Or as everyone else says, and I unfortunatley listend. Buy em all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

zlast1

Newly Enlightened

Man! I don't think I did this much research/reading when I bought my last car.
Thanks for the input.

* I will pick up the CMG Infinity AA Red LED. I figure I'll use it for reading books, TMs, etc. I'll also get the Ultra with white LED to have around my neck when heading to the outdoor showers or latrine, etc.

* I like the Surefire 6p and E2E. However, the Pelican M6 Lithium has 108 lumens vs Surefire's 60 or 65 lumens and it comes with a (cheap looking) case. Am I comparing apples to apples with regards to lumens? Oh yeah,the M6 is about 1/2 price.Then again,the Surefire G2 is about that price too. Is Surefire really the Bigdaddy-making it worth the extra $$$?

* Does batterystation.com have a good reputation for quick shipping? I'm outta here in about 3 weeks, and I hate for things to be "in the mail" when I leave.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

The Pelican M6 has a tighter beam than the Surefire which gives it more throw. IMO you'll be very happy with either.

The G2 is the same size as the 6P. The E2e is much smaller. the bezel on the E2e is the same diameter as the body on the G2. The Pelican M6 is larger than the G2.

BatteryStation has an excellent reputation, but I don't know how fast they ship. I've never ordered from them but I've been so impressed with the way Kevin has behaved on CPF that I will order from him at some point in the future. Maybe someone else will answer this or you might call BatteryStation.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought a Surefire G2Z Nitrolon light for it's light weight even though I had the M2 Millennium and E2e. The G2Z is bright and has a good throw. I think Pelican tend to over rate their lights. My friend who had a Pelican M6 did a side by side comparison with my G2Z. I can't tell which is more powerful but one thing I do know, the smooth round beam of the G2Z is the cream of the crop. If more power is what you need, all you need is to purchase a 120 lumens P61 bulb and use your CMGs as a normal use light.

Why did I choose the G2Z over the G2 Nitrolon? The G2Z is equipped with a Pyrex lens and is very much resistant to scratch and heat so in case if you turn on the light accidentally in your bag the lens will not melt. The G2Z spot a combat grip where you can hold them like how you would hold a syringe and use your thumb to do momentary on/off operation. Useful if you are using firearms with a Surefire/Rogers stance. With the G2, it is possible but a little bit more difficult due to the lack of a rubber ring for your fingers to grip.

Back to the Pelican M6, I am impressed with the design but when looking at the beam I am not that much impressed though in actual use the beam pattern is not really taken seriously. I am just beinng nit-picky that's all.

Andy Ho

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Welcome to CPF zlast1! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think you'll get a lot of use out of the Infinity and Ultra, great low-level long-lasting lights.

I like the 6P and E2E also, but I would bring the C2, particularly if you use the Rogers stance with a firearm. It's an aluminum version of the G2Z pjandyho suggests above, with a clip. If you prefer polymer, then the G2Z. Both have a pyrex lens, easing your use of the p61 high output lamp (brighter than standard p60, with loss of runtime).

Surefire is the big daddy, zlast1. I like my Pelican M6, good throw, nice price, but not as refined or smooth as the Surefires, just not quite the same level of functionality and elegance. The cheap looking case is included, tho, and it has a little plastic insert in the bottom to prevent accidental activation in the holster. A nice touch from Pelican.

I have the red filter for the E2E, and it's nice in that the filter flips up so you can use the white beam easily, but the red light is too bright, as Geode mentions above.

Finally, Kevin at batterystation gives terrific service. He's in Iowa, and has shipped to the Midwest and East Coast for me, with shipping within 24hours of my order and delivery by USPS within 3 days both times. Recommended!

The A2 seems great, but the price scares me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Safe travels,
daloosh

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are still having doubts about spending the extra to purchase a plastic Nitrolon G2Z flashlight I would suggest you visit this link.

Andy Ho

BrightFlashlites

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
zlast1 said:
However, the Pelican M6 Lithium has 108 lumens vs Surefire's 60 or 65 lumens and it comes with a (cheap looking) case.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pelican M6 is rated at 74 lumens, the 108 was an early quote that was revised down.

haley1

Enlightened

Hi, I forgot one. Electrolum...s?, sorry can't remember the spelling, mod to a standard L head military flashlight. I don't have one but every thing I've read says they are great. Standard bats available in all units, looks like everyone elses so you can make em wonder what the hell. Already has all the colored filters needed. Come to think of it I need to get one for my sons and I.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
zlast1 said:
...* I will pick up the CMG Infinity AA Red LED. I figure I'll use it for reading books...

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to give red LEDS a test run (or read) before you get it for reading; I find it very hard on my eyes, though that's just my personal reaction.

Brightnorm