Very small 1000L pocket rockets?

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I've been away from flashlights for a while, so please forgive me.

I see the Olight S1R II is a very small 1000L rechargable. Its in my cart - but are there any other lights similar to this that I should consider? Smaller is better, and 500+ lumens is the target. Rechargable is nice. I don't particularly like twisties but if that's what it is, that's ok. So, small, 500-1000L+, decent quality, price is whatever it is. Any suggestions? Thanks much.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The catch with the high-output micro lights like that is the turbo rating is just for a few moments, you're not actually going to be able to walk around for a while at ~1,000 lumens. If you can hedge a bit on the size, up to 18650 format, the current Zebralight SC600 can give you 0.2 - 2,400 lumens, and it's temperature-controlled so as long as you've got some cool air you can remain well over a thousand lumens for some time.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
I'll second a Zebralight, and I think you'd be thrilled with an SC64w HI. It's very compact for an 18650 light, makes plenty of beautiful light, and had an amazing and programmable UI. It will pocket a lot smaller than their SC600x bodies lights.

If you want even smaller, then their SC5C MKII runs on an Eneloop AA and will produce about 500 lumens for a few minutes, but still produces a lot of very usable light for a AA format. (I legit EDC this light and for me it's perfect for my occasional needs.)

But if I could keep only one of my Zebralghts, it would be the SC64w HI for sure... But I have several, because nobody is making me keep just one!

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I was thinking - I have a Emisar D4 that I could get a 18350 tube for that would get me a pretty small light. I like the TUP also, thanks for the suggestion. And yes, runtime at full power is an issue - but I'm ok with that. That said, still looking for any more potential suggestions...

Beckler

Enlightened
Fenix E16, E18. I like the Olight for the 0.5Lm low (E18 is 5Lm). Also the E18 puts the charge port opposite the similarly shaped button - why confuse fingers like that? No reason. Ironically Olight has something similar with their pointless hex-shape around the button; fortunately they've eliminated it on S1Rii. Btw why does S1Rii use XML2? Isn't that like 10yrs old and all green-fringed? :D Or maybe it's been updated.

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
Zebralight makes a very small light called the SC32, but it is "only" 480 lumens and runs on a CR123 battery(non rechargeable).

WilliamMunny

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I've been away from flashlights for a while, so please forgive me.

I see the Olight S1R II is a very small 1000L rechargable. Its in my cart - but are there any other lights similar to this that I should consider? Smaller is better, and 500+ lumens is the target. Rechargable is nice. I don't particularly like twisties but if that's what it is, that's ok. So, small, 500-1000L+, decent quality, price is whatever it is. Any suggestions? Thanks much.
Try Klarus XT1C. I am taking a hard look at it myself, 1000 lumes, 3.7" long.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think best bet for a small pocket rocket is the Emisar D4 with XPL HI and 18350 tube, run on an Aspire 1100 mAh 18350 or equivalent.

It's a very small compact quad emitter light with great UI and even on 18350 should easily output over 3,000 lumens turbo.

P220C

Newly Enlightened
I have both an Emisar D4 and an Olight S1RII.

The S1RII is always clipped to my pocket, while the D4 is the light I hold in my hand. Both have similar beam profiles and both stabilize around 300 lumens after a few minutes on blast.

The D4 is way more fun to use and has a bigger fuel tank, but I would never use it for EDC, because it has to be locked out in the pocket.

If you're going small, stick with the S1RII – if you can go slightly bigger, the Zebralight SC64 is great – slightly bigger yet is the SC600.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The D4 is way more fun to use and has a bigger fuel tank, but I would never use it for EDC, because it has to be locked out in the pocket. ...
Good point.

I've lost a couple pockets to the Emisar D4 turning on accidentally in the pocket and burning a hole through them. Granted that was with an 18650 cell, but I suppose it still packs enough punch in 18350 format to do the same.

I love the D4, but I hate locking out my EDC. It's gotten to the point where I've started modding my D4 lights to reduce or eliminate the problem. I've tried the following mods and all have been relatively effective at eliminating the need for lockout:

* Installing a flip-up cover over the button. 100% protection from accidental pocket activation, and looked ok.

* Added a filed-down #14 nickel-plated brass finishing washer around the switch button. Turns the protruding button into a recessed one. Fairly effective and looks great, but not 100% protective like the flip-up cover.

* Replaced stock silicone button-boot with homemade one made of aluminum sheet and silicone. I like it. It's flatter than the stock boot and looks better since the top is metal. It looks like a metal button.

* Reflashed stock firmware with TK's Anduril. Best when used in conjunction with one of the other remedies. Very similar to the stock UI except I can manually set a cap on the ramp-up. Can still access max turbo via double-click from on. Goal is to set the max ramp at the highest level my pockets can take. That way if the light accidentally does turn-on and ramp-up in the pocket it won't destroy them. Very effective, but does add an extra step to get to turbo.

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Enlightened
The catch with the high-output micro lights like that is the turbo rating is just for a few moments, you're not actually going to be able to walk around for a while at ~1,000 lumens. If you can hedge a bit on the size, up to 18650 format, the current Zebralight SC600 can give you 0.2 - 2,400 lumens, and it's temperature-controlled so as long as you've got some cool air you can remain well over a thousand lumens for some time.

So I read up on the SC600 and it states that it uses an UNPROTECTED 18650. Do these particular batteries only come unprotected or not and if so, could it explode if I carry it in my backpack??

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I read up on the SC600 and it states that it uses an UNPROTECTED 18650. Do these particular batteries only come unprotected or not and if so, could it explode if I carry it in my backpack??

It takes unprotected because the light is small and there only enough room for an unprotected cell (65mm long). The light has built-in safety features, like low-voltage-protection, so you don't need a protected battery.

Could it explode? Not unless there's some internal fault in the battery, but that would happen whether it was protected or unprotected. Always buy genuine good-quality lithium-ion cells from a reputable dealer.

I've never had a Zebralight turn on accidentally. The switch is recessed, so it's not easy to accidentally trigger. But if you're worried, you can give the tailcap a slight twist to lock it out.

If it did turn on, it doesn't run as hot as some pocket-rockets, and it has a very good PID thermal control that ramps down the light when it hits 55C. It will get hot, but not hot enough to burn. But even so, I'd lock it out if you're carrying it in a pack or something like that.

GrooveRite

Enlightened
It takes unprotected because the light is small and there only enough room for an unprotected cell (65mm long). The light has built-in safety features, like low-voltage-protection, so you don't need a protected battery.

Could it explode? Not unless there's some internal fault in the battery, but that would happen whether it was protected or unprotected. Always buy genuine good-quality lithium-ion cells from a reputable dealer.

I've never had a Zebralight turn on accidentally. The switch is recessed, so it's not easy to accidentally trigger. But if you're worried, you can give the tailcap a slight twist to lock it out.

If it did turn on, it doesn't run as hot as some pocket-rockets, and it has a very good PID thermal control that ramps down the light when it hits 55C. It will get hot, but not hot enough to burn. But even so, I'd lock it out if you're carrying it in a pack or something like that.

Thanks for the explanation! I was just about to post a similar comment on your video on youtube, oddly enough, lol!

Between the SC600w Hi and the Plus, which would be best for indoor and outdoor use? I'm looking to pick one of these up very soon.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the SC600w Hi and the Plus, which would be best for indoor and outdoor use? I'm looking to pick one of these up very soon.

The HI is too throwy for indoors, but it makes a fantastic outdoor light. The Plus would be better for both indoors and out. Another alternative is the SC64w HI, which makes a very good EDC light for both indoors and out. It's smaller than the Plus, though not as bright. Still over a thousand lumens, though.

GrooveRite

Enlightened
The HI is too throwy for indoors, but it makes a fantastic outdoor light. The Plus would be better for both indoors and out. Another alternative is the SC64w HI, which makes a very good EDC light for both indoors and out. It's smaller than the Plus, though not as bright. Still over a thousand lumens, though.

Thanks for your help!